Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any newbies have any questions about Life in DIT??? (ASK HERE!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Speaking of the SU shop, they should help us out and reduce their prices! There's virtually no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

True, there's not, but it's all about the support?
    Yeah, it's pricey alright.

A decrease in coffee price would suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Monksie

candy19 wrote: »
    Is there any newbies or potential newbies out there with any questions about DIT in general or student life is like??

Ask here, there's loads of DIT students on this site!!:D

what happens at induction? :)

Basically you get a brief tour (usually badly run) of the college, you get information on how things work, etc.

Then you get dumped in the coffee dock for a biscuit and a drink- here you should work the room and chat with people- this is usually your year only.

Then you get brought to a bunch of computers with your Birth Cert/ID/etc., and you register with DIT officially using the internal system. Once that's done you get your photo ID taken and made and you're official- a DIT student.

I recommend you head out for a casual drink with your new classmates in Karma (a pub next door to Aungier) or to a cheap student place. Get to know them, find out who's single and who's not, make friends, figure out who are the strange ones, decide which Freshers events you'll go to, and what societies you hope to join, and basically just get ready for the best years of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Hey guys, just read a few posts back, I'm applying for a course in DIT tomo (Back to education course, could be back to full time college in 2-3 weeks if I get it :D) in Kevin St. Just wanted to ask a few questions..

Somebody said there was a swimming pool/showers? :pac: Are they free to use if you are a student?

Is there much else in the way of facilities? (Sorry, I've only been into the one in Aungier st. Not too sure about this one)

What are the computers like in Kevin St? I'd assume there going to be fairly new if it's a school of computing.

Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Yeah but then they should stop advertising themselves as being a cheaper option to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Hey guys, just read a few posts back, I'm applying for a course in DIT tomo (Back to education course, could be back to full time college in 2-3 weeks if I get it :D) in Kevin St. Just wanted to ask a few questions..

Somebody said there was a swimming pool/showers? :pac: Are they free to use if you are a student?

Is there much else in the way of facilities? (Sorry, I've only been into the one in Aungier st. Not too sure about this one)

What are the computers like in Kevin St? I'd assume there going to be fairly new if it's a school of computing.

Thanks in advance :)

The showers are free to use but you have to pay to use the pool and I think you pay to use that and you pay for the gym aswell

You have your usual facilities gym, pool, canteen, SU etc

The computers aren't very new but they'll run what you need for college

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

The showers are free to use but you have to pay to use the pool and I think you pay to use that and you pay for the gym aswell

The computers aren't very new but they'll run what you need for college
    Ah k, thanks :) I had to laugh at one thing though

I've been to Ballyfermot & Inchicore Colleges... We had a canteen... that was it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I remember living off the €1.50 Insomnia coffees last year! That's pretty cheap if you ask me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

QUOTE]

Hi docdolittle

Student rates for pool and gym can be found here:
    http://www.ditsports.ie/sport/fit2goclub/joinonline/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Monksie wrote: »
    do you know if the work placement is organised by the college or do you have to find a pharmacy or hospital yourself, ? thanks :)

You have to go out and find it yourself. It gets competitive but it builds a good idea of what it is like going for jobs after college. Hospitals are more popular options with fewer places as the options for progress are more pleantiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 louthie flower

Hey StaticNoise..
    Just wondering if ya have an idea on how long the Registration takes?
    I'll be flying to get ready for a debs after it and i have a wee journey to Aungier St that morning so trying to work out times before hand, so any help would be great :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liambob1

Hey StaticNoise..
    Just wondering if ya have an idea on how long the Registration takes?
    I'll be flying to get ready for a debs after it and i have a wee journey to Aungier St that morning so trying to work out times before hand, so any help would be great :) thanks

as far as I know there is no set length of time, it depends how many people are in your course and if everyone has their paper work in order, but try telling them you have to go soon, they might let you go first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 louthie flower

liambob1 wrote: »
    as far as I know there is no set length of time, it depends how many people are in your course and if everyone has their paper work in order, but try telling them you have to go soon, they might let you go first

Yeah i'll definately have to try telling them that, ill most likely be rolling in with a head of rollers since its the morning of it but sure once I get it all sorted I'll not be too bothered by the strange looks coming my way :o:D
    thanks for the reply :)

Hi there.

My reg took half day- tour wasn't great. You'll basically be well out by 2 or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Natalie9

Hello,does anyone know anything about foundation courses/access courses for undergraduate students in DIT? are there such courses at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi Natalie,

There's a range of courses that fit the description. There's a Mature Students Access Course: http://www.communitylinks.ie/mature-students-access-course/
    or there's an access route for students who have experienced educational disadvantage in the past that may have prevented them accessing higher eduation: http://www.communitylinks.ie/dit-access-service/
    There's also an access route for mature students and there are several free Labour Market activation routes at the moment for unemployed people: http://www.dit.ie/upskillatdit/programmelista/

Your best bet is to look at the Admissions office web-page and see if there's anything that suits you: http://www.dit.ie/study/

Hope that helps,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

is it true that there is nowhere in all 6 campuses where students can use a computer after 9pm??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

I think the college closes at 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Natalie9

campuslife wrote: »
    Hi Natalie,

There's a range of courses that fit the description. There's a Mature Students Access Course: http://www.communitylinks.ie/mature-students-access-course/
    or there's an access route for students who have experienced educational disadvantage in the past that may have prevented them accessing higher eduation: http://www.communitylinks.ie/dit-access-service/
    There's also an access route for mature students and there are several free Labour Market activation routes at the moment for unemployed people: http://www.dit.ie/upskillatdit/programmelista/

Your best bet is to look at the Admissions office web-page and see if there's anything that suits you: http://www.dit.ie/study/

Hope that helps,
    Brian
    Hello Brian,

Thank you for your help,but those courses do not suit me,I'm not a mature student nor did I experience educational disadvantage in the past.I just did not get any course offers on CAO for some reason and they also did not send my documents to DIT.;/ So I figured I could go to foundation courses as an undergraduate student,but I just couldn't find any information,they only write on the site about "CAO (Direct Entry into Year 1)for undergraduate students " and nothing about foundation courses for undergraduate students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Great to see Campus Life and current student getting involved!

Good Stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

ok another question involving a bike, is there bike sheds or where do you leave them, got a fairly expensive bike so dont want people stealing my wheels and what not.. Anyone else going into or through dt212?

hey Daithí,

Don't think there's any good place for bikes for students around DIT especially for student/s. I mainly see them locking them to the polls tbh!:eek:

Sometimes I just do be glad to say that it's great to be able to walk to college with only living 5mins away:D

I think the college closes at 9

http://www.dit.ie/services/buildingsoffice/openinghours/

Ya can get kicked out before then though!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 grainofsense

I've done level 6 communications in 1999 in carlow, should I have to do it again starting my new course?

I've done level 6 communications in 1999 in carlow, should I have to do it again starting my new course?

What course are you starting in DIT? Modules vary from Institute to Institute so, tbh I wouldnt be suprised if you have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Where do DIT play GAA??

madlad88 wrote: »
    Where do DIT play GAA??

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think it's out in Grangegorman. You will find all the info you need here: http://www.dit.ie/sport/studentsport/clubs/

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

daithi09 wrote: »
    ok another question involving a bike, is there bike sheds or where do you leave them, got a fairly expensive bike so dont want people stealing my wheels and what not.. Anyone else going into or through dt212?

what dit are you going to? all of them have bike facilities. bolton street got a new bike shed last year so there is cover for your bike and it is behind a big fence within the car park. as for aungier street just walk over to kevin street as they have loads of spots for bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Great i'm in Kevin street, I'm gonna try and get up some stage this week for a look around.

Advertisement