Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any newbies have any questions about Life in DIT??? (ASK HERE!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

kevin street does not have any cover though and you will have to get in early or take your front wheel off if you want it to be secured. kevin street only has those 'on the ground' racks and there are some spots on a fence but those are gone first thing in the morning. i just bought two locks, i would advise anybody to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi daithi,

There's a bike parking spot in Kevin St that's covered. There's a connecting walkway between the old part of Kevin St and the annex (where the restaurant is). There's a ramp down the side of the walkway, and there are bike racks underneath - but they fill up fast.

The next best place is to the side of the walkway - there are long lines of bike racks and they're hidden from view, and they seem to be secure enough. There's loads of space there, because not many people seem to know about them. They're good because they're close enough to the entrance to the gym/swimming pool, so you can grab a shower after cycling in if you want.

A lot of people park their bikes in the racks closest to the Camden Row entrance - but apparently some people had their bikes stolen from there last year, and I generally try to avoid leaving the bike there if I can.

More info here

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DIT-Smarter-Travel/111571125534633#!

- DIT Kevin Street -
    Bike Racks; Courtyard by Swimming Pool
    Shower Facilities; Changing Rooms in Fit2Go Leisure Facilities
    Lockers; Available in Changing Rooms
    *Bike Pump & Repair Kit available in Fit2Go Gym in DIT Kevin Street in exchange for valid student/staff card*

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lorin1234567

anyone going into Photography? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 grainofsense

candy19 wrote: »
    What course are you starting in DIT? Modules vary from Institute to Institute so, tbh I wouldnt be suprised if you have to!
    I'm doing Computing DT211.

Done HETAC level 6 communications with John Scott in Carlow IT and then FETAC level 6 communications last year. Sick of communications at this stage:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

If the communications module is the same a DT228 its more presonal development

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Hey, I was just wonderin if theres still lectures and stuff dureing freshers week?? - And if yes, are ya actually expected to go to them??! Tanx a mill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Yeah I think you are.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

tomtom101 wrote: »
    Hey, I was just wonderin if theres still lectures and stuff dureing freshers week?? - And if yes, are ya actually expected to go to them??! Tanx a mill...

Completely off the record...I think most people expect a low attendace during fresher's week, rag week etc that all depends on the lecturer/s, course etc tho, i've been lucky enough over the past three years:D

I think Architecture would expect full attendance. I could be mwrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 st3mc92

i accepted architectural technology and haven't yet received a letter from DIT. anyone else in the same situation? anyone else doing this course 2, really looking forward 2 it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Yes, there are almost definitely lectures, and if there are lectures scheduled at any time during the year you are expected to attend.

I don't see why you would wanna not go to class on your first week as it's the week where you generally get a rundown of your coursework for the year which is really useful. Also you get to meet the people you'll be studying for X amount of years.

It's not so good to start lagging behind the rest of your class on the first week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

st3mc92 wrote: »
    i accepted architectural technology and haven't yet received a letter from DIT. anyone else in the same situation? anyone else doing this course 2, really looking forward 2 it

Hey I just accepted a course in DIT as well, and only got my letter about registration yesterday. I think they're a bit slow at sending out letters. I don't think you're the only one waiting & worrying.

It should come in the next few days, if not you should email / phone them just to be sure! :) Hope you enjoy your course !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Well sorry for asking, i was just wonderin.... Just to let you know, I have NO intention of missing lectures or ever 'lagging behind' the rest of the class... I worked hard to get on this course and i'm not gonna throw it down the drain... I never said i didn't want to go to class, i was just inquireing if they would go ahead. ok?!

You asked if you were expected to go to lectures if they were on. You are. The rest? Friendly advice. Don't apologize for asking a question because you're unhappy with the answer. It was in no way meant to be taken personally. Chill out!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

I wont be going on a mad one freshers week, well apart from my friends 21st and arthurs day. Hopefully its not a lot of heavy stuff the first week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NamhalLudscy

Hey all, I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I just checked my proposed timetable and saw that I'll have one lecture in one college campus at 9am followed by another in a different campus at 10am! I know that at the moment timetables are not to be taken as set-in-stone, but what's the deal on commuting between campuses and getting to lectures on time?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Hey all, I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I just checked my proposed timetable and saw that I'll have one lecture in one college campus at 9am followed by another in a different campus at 10am! I know that at the moment timetables are not to be taken as set-in-stone, but what's the deal on commuting between campuses and getting to lectures on time?

Thanks
    I assume it's a Kevin St/Aungier St transition? If you're 5-10 minutes late then lecturers won't mind, especially if you make it known that you're travelling across from another campus.

I'll be based out of Cathal Brugha St. And according to the timetable I'll have to make my way to Marlborough St. and/or Sackville Place after having a lecture.

Looking at the timetable again I'll be going back and forth between the campuses more than once some days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Thanks

I change between Aungier St and Kevin St probably twice or 3 times a day. Its not a problem at all. Are you doing business and languages? You won't be late for a lecture. Lecturers know people have to come from the other campus so its not a problem.

I'll be doing Nutraceuticals.

Yeah, when it's put like that it seems only logical that the lecturers will be a little forgiving to the students who have to make journeys from campus to campus.

Cheers for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Lecturers are usually totally fine about transition. It's a varied college, so they understand movement. And, you'll not be by yourself in these transitions either.

Don't worry, and if there are questions raised (which there won't be), just mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Sam Wang

Hi everybody,
    I just transfer from Dundalk to here studying Computer Science Year 2 in Kevin St. I currently live in James's St. It should take about half an hour to walk to school. Is there any transportation that you would recommend?

Besides, are there any places in your opinion are dangerous and do not recommend us to visit? Coz I just knew that one of my friend got robbed by three stickups three days ago in Dundalk, and it is said some places in Dublin are also dangerous.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Hi Sam,

You could take the 123 bus to College Green (beside Trinity College) and walk up. It's a ten minute walk and it's easier than getting a second bus. However, do check this before going with it. Maybe other locals on Boards could confirm this route.

www.DublinBus.ie have a route planner that is good, and may help, but do have common sense using it.

Common sense also applies to your other question. Yes, Dublin can be dodgy, but if you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. I won't name any places, as people may say I'm being "down" on certain areas, but just be street-smart, don't walk home late at night where possible, especially alone, take care of your belongings and personal possessions and don't look for trouble if "boyos" start having a go. Being a Dub, I've not got involved in many muggings or messing. Anytime they have happened are outside of the City anyway.

Hope this helps,
    SN.

Sam Wang wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    I just transfer from Dundalk to here studying Computer Science Year 2 in Kevin St. I currently live in James's St. It should take about half an hour to walk to school. Is there any transportation that you would recommend?

Besides, are there any places in your opinion are dangerous and do not recommend us to visit? Coz I just knew that one of my friend got robbed by three stickups three days ago in Dundalk, and it is said some places in Dublin are also dangerous.

Thank you very much.
    Every major capital in the world has its' bad spots so to speak. Like SN said, just have your wits about you. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot trouble a mile away. I've often walked up O'Connell St. late at night alone and been fine. It's usually the darker alleys and smaller streets you'd want to avoid. A couple of the areas just outside the city where there are flats aren't desirable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

I'll be based out of Cathal Brugha St. And according to the timetable I'll have to make my way to Marlborough St. and/or Sackville Place after having a lecture.

I,m pretty sure that Marlborough St is an annex on Cathal Brugha St - there's a Marlborough St entrance and a Cathal Brugha St entrance. So you'll probably be in the same building for those lectures.

Sackville Place is off O'Connell St as well, and it's close enough to CBSt.

Shouldn't be a problem - if it is join the Dublinbikes thing

I,m pretty sure that Marlborough St is an annex on Cathal Brugha St - there's a Marlborough St entrance and a Cathal Brugha St entrance. So you'll probably be in the same building for those lectures.

Sackville Place is off O'Connell St as well, and it's close enough to CBSt.

Ah, I thought they meant Marlborough St. in Donnybrook.

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot in this forum, but is there any word on the Grangegorman campus? I hear its meant to be impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I'm starting Fine Art this year (DT546), when do we find out what classes we are in ? Can we ask to be in a class ie class B over class A ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 st3mc92

i just got an email saying i have to collect my student id card on the 15th. just wondering do i need to send them a passport photo of me or do they do that on the day

st3mc92 wrote: »
    i just got an email saying i have to collect my student id card on the 15th. just wondering do i need to send them a passport photo of me or do they do that on the day
    They take a photo of you on the day. Just bring proof you've paid your fees.

Ah, I thought they meant Marlborough St. in Donnybrook.

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot in this forum, but is there any word on the Grangegorman campus? I hear its meant to be impressive.

Yeha does anyone know anything about grangegorman. Is it one of those drawn out "in the pipeline, not gonna happen for another 7 years sort of thing?"

• Advertisement

Yeha does anyone know anything about grangegorman. Is it one of those drawn out "in the pipeline, not gonna happen for another 7 years sort of thing?"
    Essentially yes.

Advertisement