Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any newbies have any questions about Life in DIT??? (ASK HERE!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I have two queries regarding Aungier Street:

Where are the water fountains?

Is the college open on sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

hey there!

Welcome to Aungier St!

Unfortunately, the college closes at 5pm on a Saturday and dosen't re-open until 7.30am on a Monday!

As far as I know there's water-fountains on top of every flight of stairs in the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dr87

Hey all! I'm 23, started work in a DIT lab on Kevin St. this week, and fresh off the plane from America.

I was just wondering where to look/how to find out about different activities and stuff on campus- I'd like to meet some cool people and I'm a little cut off from the pulse of things in my lab. Is there an activities fair or something? Are there postgrad-student specific things?

Also, is it worth checking out the parts of campus besides Kevin St? Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

dr87 wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm 23, started work in a DIT lab on Kevin St. this week, and fresh off the plane from America.

I was just wondering where to look/how to find out about different activities and stuff on campus- I'd like to meet some cool people and I'm a little cut off from the pulse of things in my lab. Is there an activities fair or something? Are there postgrad-student specific things?

Also, is it worth checking out the parts of campus besides Kevin St? Thanks for the advice!

Clubs and Societies week all next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

dr87 wrote: »

Details of Clubs and Socs Festival here:
    http://dit.ie/news/archive2010/clubsandsocs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭mail

is there any car parking in or near the college and how much is it

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

will i have my accounting teacher for two years? or will it change?
    cause i hate him already :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

loike wrote: »
    Depends on your course. That's a simple, but truthful answer.

If your lecturer is causing a legitimate problem for you which is unreasonable, contact your Class Rep or the Student Union for advice. However, it's fair to say that if they are acting in a manner which is fair, but you don't like, there's nothing that can be done.

mail wrote: »
    is there any car parking in or near the college and how much is it
    There is nearby street parking, as per Dublin City rates, and other car parking areas, such as underground or multi-story zones, however there are no campus parking facilities for students or visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 accguy

loike wrote: »

Easy enough to check. Just have a look at the webtimetables for the next year. DIT does not (usually anyway) change lecturers around too often so look at next year's timetable and see who is taking the module. If it is the same person then that's the person you will have, if it is someone different then it more than likely will be that person. It could change but it could get you through this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

hey everyone
    Im wondering does anybody know of good cheap(hopefully) parking near DIT cathal brugha street
    Cheers

As stated, parking is a bit of a fecker.
    You could park at Marlborough Street Car Park (Q Park; Clerys) but it's 90c per 15 minutes.

Alternatively, get a outside city parking space and travel in?
    Or, apparently the carpark beside Connolly Station is €7.50 per day- ten mins walk from CB Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Hey. I'm a first year and I can't believe how rude the library staff and caretakers are in Bolton street. The people in the library are ridiculously unhelpful and told me that helping me isn't their job. I went back to the college on Friday at half 6 to get my bag and was shouted at by one of the security men. He didn't even bother notifying me of the situation but just went straight into being an ass. Anyone else come across people like this? All my lecturers are great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Hey. I'm a first year and I can't believe how rude the library staff and caretakers are in Bolton street. The people in the library are ridiculously unhelpful and told me that helping me isn't their job. I went back to the college on Friday at half 6 to get my bag and was shouted at by one of the security men. He didn't even bother notifying me of the situation but just went straight into being an ass. Anyone else come across people like this? All my lecturers are great though.

Mountjoy + Portland Row the staff couldn't be anymore helpfull. Library staff are really nice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Chorcai wrote: »
    Mountjoy + Portland Row the staff couldn't be anymore helpfull. Library staff are really nice also.

This is very true, it's like a separate entity altogether to the rest of DIT; then again they do host the most involving courses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mausram

Or, apparently the carpark beside Connolly Station is €7.50 per day- ten mins walk from CB Street.[/QUOTE]

which one is that??? Connolly railway station car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Im thinking of going here next year. just wondering whats the story about accomadation for 1st years. as there is no on campus. i would like to be near other first years. i was thinking of going upto the Gateway student village. Where would most if any doing the auctioneering course DT104 be staying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Im thinking of going here next year. just wondering whats the story about accomadation for 1st years. as there is no on campus. i would like to be near other first years. i was thinking of going upto the Gateway student village. Where would most if any doing the auctioneering course DT104 be staying

Thats Bolton St right?

A lot of students would stay around Drumcondra, if your talking private lets and shares and perhaps the Student accommodation at Ballymun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 plosh

Hey can anyone tell me if the computer course in DIT is any use and is it worth my while, like I have computing and computer science in DIT down number 1 and 2 on my CAO. Are there any better colleges for computing?
    And also what is the social life like? (I know theres plenty of societies which I cant wait to take part in :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

dlambirl wrote: »
    Thats Bolton St right?

A lot of students would stay around Drumcondra, if your talking private lets and shares and perhaps the Student accommodation at Ballymun.

yep tis. is that private accommodation in Drumcondra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

plosh wrote: »
    Hey can anyone tell me if the computer course in DIT is any use and is it worth my while, like I have computing and computer science in DIT down number 1 and 2 on my CAO. Are there any better colleges for computing?
    And also what is the social life like? (I know theres plenty of societies which I cant wait to take part in :D)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056153025

In regards to the social life, it's decent enough as long as you make an effort to get to know people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

rude library staff and caretakers in Bolton street

You need to Mindfcuk the library staff :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F6Ctq6ckpk&feature=related

But hey they probably just shouted at you because they thought you would take it because your young, Id like to see them shout at me like that

But dont take it to heart cos these people get paid sh1t money and there unhappy with there lives and that's why there rude ;). Most unhappy people are rude and petty, and I'm so glad im not one of them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 plosh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056153025

In regards to the social life, it's decent enough as long as you make an effort to get to know people.

Ow ill make the effort! :eek:
    Muahahahaahaha...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

I'm hoping to get a place in Aungier Street next year just wondering wheres the best place to live, more or less where do the students of Aungier Street tend to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Anyone here doing science with nanotechnology?

Just wondering what the hours are like for it? Also I take demand for graduates from this course is high enough as it is the only one in the country? (I know trinity are starting one next year) Thanks.

Oh and how much maths is involved? I don't mind maths but as along as its not heavy duty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

plosh wrote: »

Avoid is my best advice. Try for DCU instead. There is no social life either. This is the result of no unified campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

The reality is, that social life will be quite poor come 4th year, no matter what college you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

boo hiss. just realised that i only have a level 5 in communications so i more than likely will have to do communications again in college - NOT HAPPY :(

anywhooo - hoping to go to cathal brugha st to do culinary arts in sept. will be trotting on up nxt week for d open day to suss the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Jaafa wrote: »
    Anyone here doing science with nanotechnology?

Just wondering what the hours are like for it? Also I take demand for graduates from this course is high enough as it is the only one in the country? (I know trinity are starting one next year) Thanks.

Oh and how much maths is involved? I don't mind maths but as along as its not heavy duty stuff.

Im in first year, we had 23 hours a week for the first semester and its about 26 for the 2nd semester.
    Plenty of maths involved but its not too bad in first year, very manageable.
    I hope you're right about demand for graduates being high cos otherwise im wasting my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

gingelion wrote: »
    Im in first year, we had 23 hours a week for the first semester and its about 26 for the 2nd semester.
    Plenty of maths involved but its not too bad in first year, very manageable.
    I hope you're right about demand for graduates being high cos otherwise im wasting my time.

So would you say as long as I'm doing higher level now I should be alright in maths?

Yeah I went to the open day and apparently 10% of the countries exports now involve nanotech in some way so you should be good in regards to that. ;) Not to mention it's an ever expanding area.

Advertisement