Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any newbies have any questions about Life in DIT??? (ASK HERE!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Jaafa wrote: »
    So would you say as long as I'm doing higher level now I should be alright in maths?

Yeah I went to the open day and apparently 10% of the countries exports now involve nanotech in some way so you should be good in regards to that. ;) Not to mention it's an ever expanding area.

If you're doing higher level now you should be grand, its 12 years since i did my leaving cert and im doing really well at the maths, i had to put in a lot of extra work but thats just because it was so long since i did maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

gingelion wrote: »
    If you're doing higher level now you should be grand, its 12 years since i did my leaving cert and im doing really well at the maths, i had to put in a lot of extra work but thats just because it was so long since i did maths.

Ah right. Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Aileen123 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get a place in Aungier Street next year just wondering wheres the best place to live, more or less where do the students of Aungier Street tend to go?

Hey,

I'm based in Aungier. I commute but some of the guys in my course live away from home. It's very varied tbh. There is one girl who lives in the Student Accommodation in NCI (about a 15/20 min walk + a 2 min LUAS ride). One of the lads lives in the Accommodation in Griffith College, that's about a 15/20 min walk, but there is a bus that goes directly from one to the other (no. 126 i think, don't quote me on that) and that'll take you 5 mins, maybe 10 with traffic. Then there are others who just bunched up with 3 or 4 mates from home and rented an apartment together. You could be lucky with this, but you'd have to start looking early in the Summer to find a good spot.

What are you applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bballer

Hi.
    Im applying for optometry in Kevin Street. I dont know anyone else going to DIT so where would be good for accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sam Wang

generally speaking anywhere inside the "city-centre fare" in South Dublin is within 15 min walk.
    Quite a lot of students live in Rathmines. I don't live there so I don't have much idea how good/bad it is, but it does seem to be a good choice.
    I lived beside the James's Luas station last year and it took me 30 min to walk to college. In winter morning this could be awful, but the rent is much cheaper than those city centre places.

Give yourself a balanced consideration between the price and distance:P Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 bballer

Thanks! Any thoughts on Griffith?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

bballer wrote: »
    Thanks! Any thoughts on Griffith?
    Perhaps ask in the Griffith forum?

I know one lad who's stayed there for 3 years now, he's not returning next year as he's fed up with the security being so strict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Just wondering is anyone here in Creative Industries? I just got offered a place as a mature student (wohoo) and I'd love to hear more on it from anyone studying it?
    What are the hours like? How is the balance between the art side and theory side? Anything I should know going into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LaLibertine

Just wondering is anyone here in Creative Industries? I just got offered a place as a mature student (wohoo) and I'd love to hear more on it from anyone studying it?
    What are the hours like? How is the balance between the art side and theory side? Anything I should know going into it?

Got my letter this in the post this morning offering me a place on the Creative Industries course (also as a mature student)! See you there! :D

Have tried in vain to find any info regarding hours etc too....

Have tried in vain to find any info regarding hours etc too....

Hey Guys,

http://modulecatalogue.hosting.heanet.ie/catalogue/streams/913/

That's a link to the Course Wise Entry for your course. It will have all the modules listed, and if you click into each one it will tell you what the contact hours are.

Also, you could look at the timetable from last year to see what the hours were like. I'm guessing ye aren't technically students yet so cant access the WebTimetables. Here is a copy of last years one for you:

http://webtimetables.dit.ie/TTSuiteRBLIVE/temp/2BAFBD8E378229B0466878F7B4E937C4/Timetable.pdf

Just so ye know, they are quite hard to read. The time table includes all the groups doing the course. Just pick one group, and count how many hours that group has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 LaLibertine

Hey Guys,

http://modulecatalogue.hosting.heanet.ie/catalogue/streams/913/

That's a link to the Course Wise Entry for your course. It will have all the modules listed, and if you click into each one it will tell you what the contact hours are.

Also, you could look at the timetable from last year to see what the hours were like. I'm guessing ye aren't technically students yet so cant access the WebTimetables. Here is a copy of last years one for you:

http://webtimetables.dit.ie/TTSuiteRBLIVE/temp/2BAFBD8E378229B0466878F7B4E937C4/Timetable.pdf

Just so ye know, they are quite hard to read. The time table includes all the groups doing the course. Just pick one group, and count how many hours that group has.

Wow, thank you so much! This is a great help! :)

Wow, thank you so much! This is a great help! :)

No problem:)

Welcome to DIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ciara_maire_

I'll most likely be doing photography in September. Could someone tell me where Temple bar is? on street view or google maps?
    I don't know where it is I'd like to have an idea before I go there.
    Any help is appreciated.
    (I'm sorry for the silly question)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Nulzy

anyone on this doing optometry? would love to know what the course's like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ciara_maire_

thank you very much! :)
    What is it like there? I'm finding it so hard to get any information about it!
    I have a few friends going into 3rd and 4th year there and they're all very happy. The facilities seem to be top notch along with the lecturers. I think you have classes one day a week up in Aungier St. too which is good because Temple Bar students are actually looked after by the Aungier St. part of DITSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 irishconejo

Hi I'm starting my masters in DIT Aungier Street in September! Does anybody know of any good places to look for accommodation around that area?

I've only really been to Dublin for nights out and stayed with locals. Is there a student area as such? I wouldn't mind going into halls (as long as you can let people stay over) and I like the idea of living with other masters students or young professionals (in a nice enough apartment/house - i'm a bit fed up of living in digs after 4 years of slum-esque living).

Anywhere in Rathmines/Ranelagh/Rathgar is ideal. Best bet is to check back in a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'll hopefully be going to DIT Cathal Brugha..

When should I search for accommodation? :)

• Advertisement

Noel2k9 wrote: »

That area of the city is serviced well by Luas and Bus so it's really down to preference. Avoid the Herberton accomodation at all costs though. Somewhere like Smithfield or Drumcondra would suit you

Voltwad wrote: »
    That area of the city is serviced well by Luas and Bus so it's really down to preference. Avoid the Herberton accomodation at all costs though. Somewhere like Smithfield or Drumcondra would suit you

Thanks a million! Yeah I was thinking about Drumcondra myself, it seems to be a student area! How long would it take to get to DIT from there?

You'd walk it in 20/25 and it's well serviced by buses, or invest in a bike!

Voltwad wrote: »
    You'd walk it in 20/25 and it's well serviced by buses, or invest in a bike!

Thanks! :D Is it really hard for first years to find others to live with?

have a look at my post on accommodation here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73004866#post73004866

Over the next few months there'll be plenty of people on here looking for roomies so just keep a close eye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

congrats to you if you get into Cathal Brugha St. i found out today that i won't be getting in :( not happy. good luck though

hdowney wrote: »
    congrats to you if you get into Cathal Brugha St. i found out today that i won't be getting in :( not happy. good luck though

I won't find out until August with results, but I'm confident I put in enough work for my course.. hopefully it'll pay off. :o

I won't find out until August with results, but I'm confident I put in enough work for my course.. hopefully it'll pay off. :o

ah you going through the LC route. nice good luck. what course did you apply for may i ask?

hdowney wrote: »
    ah you going through the LC route. nice good luck. what course did you apply for may i ask?

Event Management! :)

• Advertisement

Event Management! :)

culinary arts myself

Advertisement