Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any newbies have any questions about Life in DIT??? (ASK HERE!)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Applegoat

Hi guys, just wondering what the story is with parking in DIT aungier street?
    Starting in September but rent seems crazy around the area and even out in D6 so i was hoping i could save a bit on rent and live further out and drive in maybe?...Does Aungier street have a student car park? or is there a cheap car park around the area? (doubtful:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Applegoat wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering what the story is with parking in DIT aungier street?
    Starting in September but rent seems crazy around the area and even out in D6 so i was hoping i could save a bit on rent and live further out and drive in maybe?...Does Aungier street have a student car park? or is there a cheap car park around the area? (doubtful:rolleyes:)

There is a car park but I think its only for staff and disabled students.
    Don't think theres any free on street parking in the area either.

I don't know anything about parking for Aungier St college students, I very much doubt it. However since it is right in the inner city centre I would avoid taking a car into there like the plague.

It is not all that far to walk from Stephen's Green/Harcourt st. so perhaps you could find accomodation somewhere along the Luas green line into there? There are many nice areas along that line like Dundrum/Balally/Kilmacud which might be slightly cheaper to rent than in Dublin 2 or even Ranelagh, and you'll be able to avail of student rates for monthly travel tickets when you get your student card.
    Also anywhere along the 46A Quality Bus Corridor like Stillorgan/mt merrion to Dun Laoghaire would get you into Stephens green, there are some nice areas also. Okay these areas perhaps won't be that cheap, but you'll never save on rent by driving in and paying for parking (you'd have to pay a fairly hefty hourly rate for on street parking during the day) plus you'll have your car eating petrol while you're stuck in traffic, it will be a nightmare bringing the car into there in the mornings, not to mention the chance of it getting vandalised/stolen after dark, trust me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

For parking,

There is a car park down the street, across from the Dunnes Express store on South Great George's Street (It's the same street as Aungier Street, it just changes name half way down). It's €5/day as far as I know. That's the cheapest you are going to get for a full day.

Alternatively, you can park in RCSI/Stephen's Green Q-Park and you will get a Student Discount if you show your student card and pay at the desk, or get your ticket stamped by the porters in Aungier Street. The price on that is €1.50/hour (It's usually €3.60/hour, so a substantial discount - nearly 60%).

That said however, you're mad driving into town. You would be much better off getting the Bus or LUAS. Stephen's Green stop is a 3 minute walk from AST, and at least 10 bus routes go past Aungier, and 20 more stop close by. Even the DART station at Pearse street isn't too far away, maybe a 10/15 minute walk.

Have a look at the Definitive Guide to DIT on here, or have a look at Dublin Bus's website. Put in where you think you will be living and DIT Aungier street and it will tell you the most direct route, be it Bus, LUAS or DART.

You have loads of options really, and to be honest driving is one of the worst ones. I live in Santry and find the bus to be much easier, and that's way out of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Applegoat

Thanks for the replies, yeah prob wasn't the best idea i've ever had! just thought if there was a car park it might be an option, hate relying on public transport like my independence, but sure luas will have to do i suppose!:D

• Advertisement

Applegoat wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, yeah prob wasn't the best idea i've ever had! just thought if there was a car park it might be an option, hate relying on public transport like my independence, but sure luas will have to do i suppose!:D

It will work if say you only have 1 lecture and it's at 12. I would often drive in for 1 lecture and just park over in RCSI, but any longer than that and it will end up being dearer than the bus, so it's not really worth it. Plus traffic is a nightmare at the evening and morning rush-hour, and can be pretty frustrating at times.

Same as yourself, I'm not a fan of public transport, but the LUAS is very reliable, especially the Green Line (which is the one you'll be getting, in case you didn't know). It runs every 2-3 mins at peak and every 8-10 mins or something like that off peak, so you will never be waiting long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ciara_maire_

Any areas you could recommend for cheap accommodation? Going to Temple Bar.
    €300 a month is the most I'd go for. Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Any areas you could recommend for cheap accommodation? Going to Temple Bar.
    €300 a month is the most I'd go for. Any help is appreciated.
    You're going to be bang, smack in the middle of the city there. You've an endless stream of buses and both LUAS lines are within walking distance. It's all down to preference really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Going to accept a place on the Msc Accounting course , looking forward to heading to DIT , not looking forward to the walk from the matthews bus stop in parnell street everyday :-)

Little Pea wrote: »
    Going to accept a place on the Msc Accounting course , looking forward to heading to DIT , not looking forward to the walk from the matthews bus stop in parnell street everyday :-)

I'm guessing it'll be in Aungier Street? If yeah then you can get a number of busses from one to the other. Off the top of my head the 19, 19a and 122 all go that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I'm guessing it'll be in Aungier Street? If yeah then you can get a number of busses from one to the other. Off the top of my head the 19, 19a and 122 all go that direction.

Cool thanks , cant wait to start now. I picked DIT over DCU and hope i dont regret it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Narnia_12345

hey all, currently in an appartment but need two to share the twin room, across the road from Bolton Street, (apt in Henrietta Hall over the Spar) €300 per person sharing available now, send me a message - I'm going into 2nd year and my room-mates from last year are travelling

hey all, currently in an appartment but need two to share the twin room, across the road from Bolton Street, (apt in Henrietta Hall over the Spar) €300 per person sharing available now, send me a message - I'm going into 2nd year and my room-mates from last year are travelling
    Hi Narnia, your advertisement might get lost in here. Perhaps start a separate thread stating what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I'll probably do optometry in DIT next year...I was just wondering how many hours do the optom students have a week in 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liambob1

Bump in preparation for newbies

Newbies should receive a freshers pack soon with certain essentials including a publication from the SU, a diary and information on how to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Little Pea wrote: »
    not looking forward to the walk from the matthews bus stop in parnell street everyday :-)

Ditto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

annex wrote: »
    Ditto!

You should check out the car sharing website

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liambob1

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LaLibertine

If I have to pick option subjects as part of my course, does anyone know when it is I'll get to choose which I want to do? Will it be at the induction maybe?!

Guess I won't get a good idea of my timetable until I've my subject picked! :confused:

• Advertisement

I think it depends on your course. More than likely it'll be during induction I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

swiftblade wrote: »

if you set it as a 'graphic' and then look at the bottom of each subject, it should say something like '4-16'. that means it is for the first semester and if it is the higher numbers (i cant remember them now) then it is for second semester. i dont know about other courses but every year my courses timetable completely changes from what they tells us we are doing to what we actually end up doing.

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    if you set it as a 'graphic' and then look at the bottom of each subject, it should say something like '4-16'. that means it is for the first semester and if it is the higher numbers (i cant remember them now) then it is for second semester. i dont know about other courses but every year my courses timetable completely changes from what they tells us we are doing to what we actually end up doing.

Should probably just wait till Monday so. :)

What course are ya doing, ill have a look over it for ya, cos i'm nice like that:D

What course are ya doing, ill have a look over it for ya, cos i'm nice like that:D

DT 504 (film and broadcasting)

Thanks dude :)

DT 504 (film and broadcasting)

Thanks dude :)

http://webtimetables.dit.ie/TTSuiteRBLIVE/PortalServ?reqtype=timetable&action=getgraphical&sKey=201112|DT504|DT504|1&sWeeks=4-16&sTitle=DT504%2F1&sType=class&sYear=1&sFromDate=&sToDate=&sEventType=&sModOccur=&instCode=-2&instName=

Try that.

There is 2 clashes on a weds and a thurs i think. I'm guessing that these are options, and you would do either one or the other.

That's a lot better. Thanks! :)

Advertisement