Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Tuners

• 31-07-2010 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering how do TV Tuners in a PC work and what channels can be picked up in Ireland. I guess what I'm asking is, do TV Tuners work in Ireland?

Do I need to install a dish/aerial or something?

Thanks.

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering how do TV Tuners in a PC work and what channels can be picked up in Ireland. I guess what I'm asking is, do TV Tuners work in Ireland?

Thanks.

Yeah it's the wrong forum, you should be ashamed of yourself :pac:

Yes a DVB-T tuner will work in Ireland has long as it uses bda drivers (most do, if has bda drivers it can be used in any viewing software therefore you will be able to use an mpeg4 decoder to view Irish DTT). You can pick up a USB DVB-T tuner from ebay for 12 euro or so.

DVB-T tuner will need a UHF aerial, what kind of UHF aerial (indoor, outdoor etc) depends on where you live.

A DVB-S tuner will also work if you have it connected to a sat dish. It will pick up any free to air channels on whatever satellite the dish is pointed to.

You'll need viewing software and video decoders.

Haz a look here:http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/saorview-dtt-on-a-pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

DVB-T tuner will need a UHF aerial, what kind of UHF aerial (indoor, outdoor etc) depends on where you live.

I have a standard aerial on my roof connected through coax to my TV Tuner in my PC... its a Hauppague WinTV HVR 1100 (which is both analog and digital)... I only get analog terrestrial channels (RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4), and nothing from a digital search...

I thought there were no digital channels broadcast to all of Ireland yet... thus why I bought a dual analog / DVB card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭dub7_2010

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

Digital TV has been available in Dublin (testing) for the past 2 years.
    Forget analogue as you wont get a great picture. Digital worked great for me using a hybrid tuner. Not many channels at the time but maybe more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I have a standard aerial on my roof connected through coax to my TV Tuner in my PC... its a Hauppague WinTV HVR 1100 (which is both analog and digital)... I only get analog terrestrial channels (RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4), and nothing from a digital search...

I thought there were no digital channels broadcast to all of Ireland yet... thus why I bought a dual analog / DVB card?

Digital is broadcasting right now on a engineering test phase and will be considered a proper service from end of October this year.

Right now TV3 is missing but will should come back in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 obiegold

hi i am new to this idea and sorry for my ignorance i want a tv tuner for my laptop to sync with my xbox 360 can you recommend exactly wat i need please?
    Thanks
    Dave

• Advertisement
Advertisement