Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of deposit

Options
  • 31-07-2010 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

A few months ago I moved town. My old landlord refused to return the deposit claiming he was retaining it as the ESB and gas (both are in my name) were not fully paid. The contract I signed clearly states he was entitled to do so.
    So heres my question, who has to clear the bills now? If I clear them will I get my deposit back. The contract states he can retain the deposit if the bills are not cleared but it does not state wheather he has to clear them once the deposit has been retained. Anybody know what the legal procedure with this is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Offy wrote: »
    A few months ago I moved town. My old landlord refused to return the deposit claiming he was retaining it as the ESB and gas (both are in my name) were not fully paid. The contract I signed clearly states he was entitled to do so.
    So heres my question, who has to clear the bills now? If I clear them will I get my deposit back. The contract states he can retain the deposit if the bills are not cleared but it does not state wheather he has to clear them once the deposit has been retained. Anybody know what the legal procedure with this is?

Your LL has to clear the bill if he is keeping deposit stating that he is doing so due to them not being paid up in full then it is his responsibility
    however if you moved and transferred you bills over to your new place if he hasnt cleared them they will be on your new bills at this stage i would report him to the PRTB
    http://www.prtb.ie/
    as he is clearly in breach of the contract signed by you both and should either pay the bill up to when you left his property or return your deposit in full

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

(S)he should clear the bills and return the remainder to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Ive just spoken with the landlord and he claims that he offered to pay FloGas but they refused as the bill is in my name and not his. That would explain why the debt collectors are only looking for money for FloGas. Fair play to the LL, he's even willing to stand up in court and state that he did try and pay. It looks like the problem isnt with the LL but with the service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Can he not just walk into a Post Office with the bill and pay it? This doesn't sound right. Wtf do they care who pays the bill, as long as it gets paid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You really should have paid the bills yourself and saved yourself all this hassle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement