Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a travel buddy asia/australia

Options
  • 31-07-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all Ive just finished a 4 year electrical apprenticeship and was let go due to the lack of work and the contract i was on so im looking to get in as much travelling as possible over the next year. Ive just finished inter railing around europe with a few friends.Im looking to go to asia/australia sometime this year to do a bit of travelling.However all of my friends have either been there have no intrest or not enough money.I wish I had the courage to go alone but i really dont think i could.just wondering if theres anyone here in the same situation as me that would be thinking of going would be great to have someone to go over with.So if anyone is interested in going let me know and we can have a chat about it :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

byrner51 wrote: »
    Hi all Ive just finished a 4 year electrical apprenticeship and was let go due to the lack of work and the contract i was on so im looking to get in as much travelling as possible over the next year. Ive just finished inter railing around europe with a few friends.Im looking to go to asia/australia sometime this year to do a bit of travelling.However all of my friends have either been there have no intrest or not enough money.I wish I had the courage to go alone but i really dont think i could.just wondering if theres anyone here in the same situation as me that would be thinking of going would be great to have someone to go over with.So if anyone is interested in going let me know and we can have a chat about it :)

Go on your own! Trust me I did and it will be one of the best things you ever do. You will meet 10 times the amount of people you would when you travel with friends.

When you get to Oz post up and we can organise a boards beer if you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

+1

I was there for 3 months on my own, you always meet people along the way.

If you wait around for people they always let you down anyway......... just think of it as character building.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

thanks for the replies lads.I have never travelled on my own before thats why i would be so nervous about heading over on my own.also i would like to visit thailand and vietnam on the way which i would be really nervous about doing alone.Im a 23 year old male just qualified i do find it easy to talk to people and make friends but just the whole idea of going over to the other side of the world alone is daunting.i know i would make friends over there but i would just find it difficult to initially go over on my own.Its something i really want to do so im going to be thinking about it over the next few weeks.anymore tips or advice would be much appreciated thank you.

O and doc the boards beer is a great idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 supersiren

Defo think ya should go it alone..i did Oz last year flew out on my own though did have people i knew to stay with when i first got there but travelled it by myself..met so many people on trips an in hostels etc. Wanting to go asia new zealand next year an will prob go it alone too. check hostel.world and hotels.com they gice good reviews on hostels so ya know where to go etc..and keep reading boards ive got so much info already just from readin other peoples posts about where to go not to go etc..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Just do it. Chances are you meet people here and can travel around with them. If they annoy you you can move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I was in Australia for a month last month (home with 2 days! :() and stayed in a Hostel for a few nights (The rest in hotels!) and I swear we had made friends with several people on the first night. Ok so some are dopey types but all in they are harmless and hostels are full of Irish backpackers at the moment. Just don't expect 5 star accommodation or massive security!

Taking a good friend is fine but going in any sort of large group and the whole cliqueness of it will effect the thing when people only want to do things toghether but some dope can't wake in the morning cos he is too hungover! etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I'd add to the comments above about going solo. It's not always easy. There may be times when you are on your own but you will meet a huge amount of people and if you are up for a bit of the social scene you should meet plenty of people. Seems to be a lot of work for electricians out here espec in the summer season when all those aircons need repairing/installation. It's worth a shot. The boards is a great place here to get in contact with few people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭bibbly

I am heading off on my own on the 16th of Aug, and to be honest I am quite nervous about it.. Its a bit daunting alright.

I am heading to Bangkok first, and I am going to stay in a hostel and just meet other people, well thats the plan anyways..

But there is no point hanging around for your mates if they are broke or not up for it.. just bite the bullet and head off.

What made me book my trip was meeting a 20 year old girl in the pub who was heading off on her own around south america, so I said to myself what am i waiting for,, im outta here.

I suggest just go ahead and book your ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

bibbly wrote: »
    I am heading off on my own on the 16th of Aug, and to be honest I am quite nervous about it.. Its a bit daunting alright.

I am heading to Bangkok first, and I am going to stay in a hostel and just meet other people, well thats the plan anyways..

But there is no point hanging around for your mates if they are broke or not up for it.. just bite the bullet and head off.

What made me book my trip was meeting a 20 year old girl in the pub who was heading off on her own around south america, so I said to myself what am i waiting for,, im outta here.

I suggest just go ahead and book your ticket.

I started in Bangkok and have to say it is pretty easy to start of with...go to Khao San Road, once you get the confidence built up you will handle any of those cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=39 is a forum on lonely planet ..might be something in there..maybe to meet someone for certain parts of trip..enjoythe trip.

thanks to everyone who replied the posts are very encouraging and helping me make my decision.i think i really should just bite the bullet and book it im thinking of going around the end of september or october.im sure i would meet loads of people on my travels just the whole going alone thing scares me ha i really need to man up!

@Stinicker idealy i would like to go with one of my friends i wouldent go in a large group however i havent even got the luxury of one of my friends being able to go any time soon.i was inter railing through europe in june so im well used to hostel wouldent be expecting much.thanks for the reply

@Tigerandahalf id deffo be into the social scene meeting new people and going out having fun ideally id like to do this while travelling for month or two then have a look into getting a job.thanks for the tips :)

@Bibbly your plan sounds similiar to mine i plan to start off in bangkok and travel from there fair play to ya for going ahead and booking it if your nervous.id say meeting that girl going to south america on her own was a wake up call!do you plan on going to australia aswell?stay in touch and let me know how your getting on thanks.

Thanks to everyone who has replied and the information has been great.its great to see theres so many friendly and helpful people around here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Go for it, you'll have a great time, I did.

If you're staying in Bangkok a good hostel to meet people is the Soi 1 backpackers (just look for it on hostelworld), it's not near Kao Shan but I met loads of people there. There aren't as many hostels in Asia because hotels are so cheap, the best ones for meeting people (imo) was Soi 1 in bangkok and Hanoi backpackers in vietnam. I met people from both all through Laos, Vietnam and Thailand.

Enjoy it man.

Advertisement