Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing your bike

• 31-07-2010 5:14pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have not washed my bike in I can't remember how long. I really need t do it again soon. In my old house I had a hose outside and it as dead easy, now I live in an apartment block so its not so easy. Someone told me to take it to a jet wash and spray it down - but I'm not so sure. Is this a good idea or a bad one. It's a ducati so they are not known for their water resistance abilities.

I wish there was a place where you could take your bike and they'd wash it for you like you can with cars!!

I might just spend some time on it with a can of WD40 and some rags instead...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Zascar wrote: »
    I have not washed my bike in I can't remember how long. I really need t do it again soon. In my old house I had a hose outside and it as dead easy, now I live in an apartment block so its not so easy. Someone told me to take it to a jet wash and spray it down - but I'm not so sure. Is this a good idea or a bad one. It's a ducati so they are not known for their water resistance abilities.

I'd be careful with a jet washer - I tried it on my bike once and managed to force a letter half off my license plate! Keep it away from anywhere there's electrics, clock and things like that and try not to direct the full force onto the bike and you'll probably get away with it.

Still though, I'd just spray the parts that need it with degreaser, then a bucket of soapy water, then rinse it off.
    Zascar wrote: »
    I wish there was a place where you could take your bike and they'd wash it for you like you can with cars!!

+1000. It's not that it's a big job, but there are days when I'm feeling lazy and I'd just like to be able to pay a few quid and have it cleaned.

I heard of some company that did something like this - I think it might have been a pre winter cleaning for bikes that were going to be off the road for the cold weather though, or possibly it was for bikes that were going to be on the road and it was to guard against salt corrosion. Or possibly I dreamed it all one night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Gentlemen: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1426978

Anyway, this is the way I wash my bike, requires a hose though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Jesus...he didnt manage to shift that awful orange dirt off his wheels or mirrors...........:D

Read this carefully...IF YOURE BIKE IS FITTED WITH FILLER-CAP DRAIN TUBES MAKE SURE THEY'RE CLEAR...

I didnt (and didnt know about them anyways..:o)..and emptied about a cup of water into the fuel tank as i opened the filler cap to check if i needed petrol....no spin that day..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

ye can blast the oil out of bearings with a jetwasher

Sids Not wrote: »
    I didnt (and didnt know about them anyways..:o)..and emptied about a cup of water into the fuel tank as i opened the filler cap to check if i needed petrol....no spin that day..:mad:

Sorry but

bahahahaha :D

• Advertisement

I'd recommend muc-off. It's brilliant at getting rid of chain lube and any other crud stuck to the bike. They do a polish/wax which is also really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...that's great in theory, but that car wasn't exactly dirty, now was it ?

I know my car - also a P btw :) - needs TFR first, otherwise you're wasting you're time. Unlike the one in the vid, mine gets used in the Real World.

Oh, and my Road King will take a damn sight more than 2 buckets and 5 minutes, as well........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

if you ride your bike in the rain then washing it will make no difference....if it's a dry bike dont wash with water....you've only got to look at some of the pics that are up on threads and see the rust on springs and frames.

furerer wrote: »
    if you ride your bike in the rain then washing it will make no difference....if it's a dry bike dont wash with water....you've only got to look at some of the pics that are up on threads and see the rust on springs and frames.

:confused:

Wossack wrote: »

:confused:+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

for those that have lost their tongue......a dry bike.....not driven in the wet......

threads with pics of rusty spring and frames.......not cared for

do I have to explain everything?:confused:

What Irish bike doesn't get ridden in the wet? :confused:

Excusing Harleys of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

for those that have lost their tongue......a dry bike.....not driven in the wet......

Rust= Formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture.

By washing your bike and properly polishing the exposed and untreated iron parts of the bike you create a lasting barrier against rust.

Yours posts in this thread are such nonsense I just dont know what to say..

for example: dont wash a dry bike with water (?), or you'll cause your frame and springs to rust - resulting in your bike being referred to as 'not cared for'

pure, weapons-grade, bull-onium

AHHHH..apologies ......

I thought you meant not to wash your bike EVER...just leave the salt , crud and bird crap on it to protect it ....

so a couriers bike is more cared for than my washed and polished gay bike then....;)...now i get it.....enough words for ya....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I think there is a place up in rosemount across from where BMT used to be that does bike valeting etc can't remember the name of the place though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I've jet washed my bike a few times, first time didn't go so well though, water got into the plugs and I had to wait half and hour for the thing to start.

Now I leave it running when jet washing, saves a lot of hassle.

Advertisement