Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ 527 Hornet and Remington Express 45gn

Options
  • 31-07-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

A friend has a CZ527 Hornet and is having very hard extraction after firing,cases are showing marks around the neck area. Ammunition used is Remington Express 45gn. He hasn't tried any other brand as yet as he only picked the rifle up today. It was used but very clean. Anyone here have any similar experience with Remington ammo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monte

if it were me i would be back in the gun shop by now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Liam Good

Me too,but it's closed until Tuesday. Attached pics would seem to indicate dog rough chamber but I would still not rule out ammo completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Used CZ 527 x 2 with a lot of Remmy never had a problem :eek:

Chamber probs there I reckon :(

UNLESS the chamber hasn't been cleaned out properly? CZ tend to put serious grease type stuff in their rifles?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Liam Good wrote: »
    A friend has a CZ527 Hornet and is having very hard extraction after firing,

What is it like for cycling bullets that are not fired? Find a safe area (field, range, etc) Load the mag. Cycle the bullets without firing. Is everything fluid and smooth?
    Ammunition used is Remington Express 45gn. He hasn't tried any other brand as yet as he only picked the rifle up today.

Try some other ammo. Hornady 35gr V-Max might suit. Anything really. This eliminates bullets as an issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Unfired are fine,but fired takes the rifle being put butt down on the deck and a LOT of down force to open the bolt, and I mean a LOT. Never ever came across a rifle so hard to open the bolt on. See pic on first post. I advised trying other ammo but unless there is someone in Laois willing to donate a few rounds, it will be Tuesday at the earliest before he can get some.

• Advertisement

Unfired are fine,but fired takes the rifle being put butt down on the deck and a LOT of down force to open the bolt, and I mean a LOT.

Sounds/seems as though the neck of the casing is expanding so much it is quite literally "jamming" itself in the breech. I'm no expert on the mechanics of firearms (i just shoot them :D), but a different bullet brand will give you your answer.
    . I advised trying other ammo but unless there is someone in Laois willing to donate a few rounds, it will be Tuesday at the earliest before he can get some.

Donal Delaney (Portlaois Rod and Gun), main street Portlaois (over his chipper) Opens at 19:30. Give him a try. If he doesn't have them at least you can get a half pounder and chips ............................

a2970114-48-drooling-homer-simpson.jpg?d=1262644239
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Friend of mine had a krico hornet that had same problem but he had few thousand rounds through it and the chamber was burnt out. There was a batch of cz hornats that came into country few years ago with poor steel in them the barrels pitted after few rounds and stuff. I had the misfortune of gettin one. The kicker was even with barrel pitting they still shot great.

ezridax wrote: »
    Sounds/seems as though the neck of the casing is expanding so much it is quite literally "jamming" itself in the breech. I'm no expert on the mechanics of firearms (i just shoot them :D), but a different bullet brand will give you your answer.

Donal Delaney (Portlaois Rod and Gun), main street Portlaois (over his chipper) Opens at 19:30. Give him a try. If he doesn't have them at least you can get a half pounder and chips ............................

a2970114-48-drooling-homer-simpson.jpg?d=1262644239

Unfortunately,the chap who owns the rifle only has one job and therefore couldn't afford to buy ammo from Donal,unless he gets a lot more work in the meantime:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

A friend has a CZ527 Hornet and is having very hard extraction after firing,cases are showing marks around the neck area. Ammunition used is Remington Express 45gn. He hasn't tried any other brand as yet as he only picked the rifle up today. It was used but very clean. Anyone here have any similar experience with Remington ammo?

looks like the chamber is fcuked, He may get a new Rifle or bring it to a gunsmith to see if it can be rectified.

I had a rifle once (not a hornet) but it had hard extractions.

The chamber was fcuked so the rifle got the bin.
    In Europe and the states dudes had that problem from loading, however customrifle might have hit the nail on the head with poor quality steel or corrosion from cheap ammo.

Either way I would not advise firing it for health and safety reasons as that issue should have been progressive, and if it was it will only get worse.

Unfortunately,the chap who owns the rifle only has one job and therefore couldn't afford to buy ammo from Donal,unless he gets a lot more work in the meantime:D:D:D:D

:D;)

• Advertisement

............., it will be Tuesday at the earliest before he can get some.

Just after remembering. Stakelums are open from Saturday (yesterday that is) straight through till next Saturday. Including tomorrow.

Having a massive sale. Will be heading down tomorrow myself for a look-see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The problem sounds like the neck of the case is allowed to expand too wide which it can only do in a chamber that is too wide. Even if you're using crap ammo with crap bras, which Remmy factory ammo isn't it still shouldn't expand to the extent that you practically need a sledge hammer to get the empty out.

Advertisement