Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the house I rent unfit for living?

Options
  • 31-07-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Okay, so living here for 6 months, me and 3 of my friends. It's in Northside dublin, and the house is fairly old. (1960's most likely) It's had multiple extensions and stuff, all done by the owner I'm assuming. It's cheap as hell as well.

Here's the problem though, it's falling apart! Leaking plumbing (which the landlord fixed in fairness to him) but this has left the roof in the sitting room with patches of damp all over it. Whenever someone showers, the house smells, because the pipes hold 'stale water' in them, which stinks. The house has no insulation to speak of, no double glazing and costs a fortune to heat in the Winter.

Recently though, the fuse for the electricity in the kitchen blew, I replaced it, no big deal... It blew again, straight away. After a bit of investigation, water is leaking onto one of the sockets in one of the extensions, which is on the same fuseboard...

What can I do to find out if this house is fit to be rented, or what's my best course of action here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you've said enough, the house is not safe for occupation.

Write a nicely worded letter to your landlord to say he has 14 days to sort things or you may deem the property to be uninhabitable and will be raising compalints with the PRTB and the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Firstly, thanks a million for replying...

Secondly, is there any agency we can contact to come have them view the property first, just so we know we actually have a case, and aren't just being pedantic? I'd like to be able to ring him/ the agency we're letting from, and tell them we've had someone view the house so that we can't be fobbed off?

Also, if it were a case that he was unwilling to fix the problems, because I'm thinking it might cost a fair bit of money to fix them all, do we have any legal recourse, apart from getting our deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could ask the housing department of the council to do an inspection. I'm not sure if they do them on request.

Your legal recourse would be a complaint to the PRTB. The council may run a separate enforcement process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

visit threshold with photos and your concerns. they may not have time to view it.

The council can do an inspection, threshold will be able to advise you.

Sounds like it's a bit of a fire trap to be honest. I'd get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Cheers for all the help guys, I'm going to ring the Landlord tomorrow about the socket, and then I'll say it to him when he's over about all the other issues....

(Also, joy of joys, the leaking near the socket has also killed the Washing Machine!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

Am I missing something here or why not just get the fcuk outta there? It's a renter's market.

Did you not notice before you moved in that the place was a complete and utter kip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

Why are you looking to create or bring a "case" against the landlord!?

To me, your course of action is simple and tiered.

1. Talk to the landlord. Explain what needs to be fixed.

2. If (s)he doesn't get working on it, MOVE!! It's a renter's market!

3. If you can't move, then start talking to council/PRTB.

DO NOT skip either step one or two. If I were your landlord and I heard from the PRTB out of the blue, I'd be pretty pissed off that the issue(s) weren't raised with me first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

BRIANBLAZE ring the council asap they do come granted it takes a few weeks to organise but they do a house inspection and see if it is fit for purpose and then make recommendations to your LL and once that is done he has to fix it or he can get fined

The PRTB and Threshold have no powers to enforce landlord to fix anything but the council do its the health and safety department but ring the number for the main office and the receptionist will direct you

Secondly if water is going to fuse box and knocking everything off this is a fire hazard you need to notify your LL immediately and he needs to get an electrician out now this is your life that could be in danger not to scare munger but if your asleep and there is a fire its the smoke that kills

a flat i lived in years ago had same problem LL didnt take it seriously we moved out over night it just wasnt safe do you want to be a statistic on the news :confused:

Advertisement