Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Lighting

Options
  • 31-07-2010 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want to install 3 downlights in my bathroom over a large mirror but I want them to be controlled from inside the bathroom and only used when needed. The only switching method that I can find suitable for a bathroom is a pull switch which I think are ugly. Does anyone know of an alternative I can use that would preferably be dimmable. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I was going to say pir until you said dimmer. Can only think of something very fancy with a remote control

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

there are flouresent lighting dimming systems that use low voltage at the switch. i think they could be used in a bathroom providing the mains at the ballast is in the attic away from moisture. they use a retractive switch, ie you press and release once to switch on the light, press and hold to dim up and press and hold to im down and they a single quick press switches off.
    to the best of my knowledge the voltage at the switch is very low in comparison to the mains at the ballast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Thanks Guys,

Like the idea of remote controlled Davy, was thinking along those lines myself and also had a look at pir but the range of most of the pir switches that I could find was too much and would basically turn on the light the minute I walk into the bathroom and also the fact that they are not dimmable.

I was also thinking along the lines of a low voltage switch and thought I read something about a low voltage touch pad but I can't seem to find anything along those lines at all.

You would think with all the gadgets out there that someone could come up with something better than a string hanging from the ceiling.

If anyone has any links at at all along those lines I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Something along these lines might work:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2710
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35116

I don't think these two would meet any official quality mark so use at your own risk, but the reviews of them seem ok.

Thanks Davy, think I found what I was looking for http://www.sensor.co.uk/BathroomSwitch.htm.

• Advertisement

Sounds interesting. I have seen similar used for lighting, but has just been on and off, haven't seen the dimmer type. Just hope it doesn't go faulty, and need to go taking off tiles :o

If it goes faulty it will be staying behind the tiles :)

Advertisement