Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanics

Options
  • 31-07-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any mechanic that might be open this weekend or do calls outs??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Anyone know of any mechanic that might be open this weekend or do calls outs??
    Thanks

hey welcome home Cadyboo:D what sort of problem you having? would AA be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hey corkcomp, thanks! Im not sure whats wrong with it. It wouldnt start when I got home, so I assumed it was dead battery, tried jump leads didnt work, and there is like a clicking inside the car when it is turned off. Am so not happy not having it for the long weekend like. Never thought of AA. Im not a member, can I still ring them??

Hey corkcomp, thanks! Im not sure whats wrong with it. It wouldnt start when I got home, so I assumed it was dead battery, tried jump leads didnt work, and there is like a clicking inside the car when it is turned off. Am so not happy not having it for the long weekend like. Never thought of AA. Im not a member, can I still ring them??

not sure about AA tbh, I think you need to be a member alright.. does the engine turn over when you try to start it? the clicking sounds like a dead battery!!

corkcomp wrote: »
    not sure about AA tbh, I think you need to be a member alright.. does the engine turn over when you try to start it? the clicking sounds like a dead battery!!

No its doesnt turn over at all. It did the first time, seemed like it was gonna take but didnt. Rang a mech, and he wasnt working but told me to leave my car hooked up to a working car and leave it for 5, 10 mins. Did that and it didnt work at all. Now when the car is off with no key in, you can hear click click from by the dash! My head is wrecked, what a time to happen on the long weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

I wud advise u to disconnect the battery if u cannot get a mechanic.If u don't there is a possibility it might go on fire.

• Advertisement

ah.. it sounds like its not making proper connection between your car battery and working car! letting it hooked up for 5 - 10 minutes should help if connected right cos it sounds like your battery is totally dead! if your still in trouble tomorrow let me know, I can offer my amateur mechanic skills:D

Only saw this now. You may well have breakdown cover with your insurance, most of the major insurance companies offer it, Quinn, Axa, Hibernian, 123.ie etc etc. Dad is with some crowd I never heard of before through a broker and he has it too. (Have to be a member to use the AA and if you are insured with the AA they don't offer the breakdown for free :rolleyes: )

Clicking when trying to start would mean a dead battery, clicking from the dash when not trying to start it is a new one to me. Is it a diesel ? If so the relay for the heater plugs may be gone, also diesels are hard enough to jump start unless the donor car has a hefty battery and the jump leads are up to it.

Hope you get it going soon, car trouble is one of the ultimate head wrecks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Could try find a fully covered AA member.

The membership covers you in any car even if your not the driver.

Its petrol. Im wondering now did the guy who hooked up the jump leads put them on the wrong way, think I heard before that that can short circuit the car??
    Thanks fo your offer Corkcomp but there is nothing anyone can do, it def needs a mechanic. Hopefully a mechanic I know will have stopped drinking today and come up and have a look.

Its petrol. Im wondering now did the guy who hooked up the jump leads put them on the wrong way, think I heard before that that can short circuit the car??

Fingers crossed he didn't, highly unlikely though, he'd have shorted his own car then too. If it's anything other than the battery there is little a mechanic wii be able to do either on a Sunday unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paultronix

hi, I have done a fair bit of mechanical work.. can u tell me a bit about the car? it sounds like the starter solonoid is stuck, if you put the car in 2nd gear, let the handbrake off (mite need a bit of help with the next bit) rock the car backwards and forwards for a bit and this should release the solonoid..

Thanks for your reply Paultronix. I actually cant try that as it is now parked on hill. Am going to garage in the morning anyway.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement