Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to live in...HELP!

Options
  • 31-07-2010 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like to live in Mountain View in Pollerton? Is it quiet?
    and does it cost a fortune to heat the houses?

I've never had oil fired central heating before. Is it much more expensive than gas? As I'm on a fixed income, it's a big worry.

Thanks in advance :D

Rosehip

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lived there before I got married, grand area. The houses weren't too expensive to heat either,the upstairs rooms were usually quite warm,due to heat rising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Thanks a million, Byhookorbycrook!

Can I just ask, was that a long time ago? Or recently?

Mainly worried about loads of rentals and/or antisocial behaviour.

Rosehip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's quiet alright, no through traffic, only residents, visitors and the odd taxi. Most houses are owner occupied family homes and it's too far from the I.T. for students. Don't worry about anti-social behaviour unless you consider kids playing football on the green anti-social.

Is it a 1-storey or 2-storey you're after. Bear in mind that when these houses were built 20yrs ago, 100mm of glassfibre roof insulation was the standard. Over that time the insulation would have sagged and become less effective. The modern standard is at least 200mm of insulation so it would be worth your while making sure the house has at least that level. That's easy enough with a single-storey house with attic but not practical to do on a gable-roof 2-storey.

That is a great point Slimjim, thanks a million, I never thought of that!

It's a two-story. So - does that mean the roof isn't insulated at all?!

And sorry to be cheeky and stretch your goodwill but with the quality of new builds now, would a 20 year old house be better built?

I'm currently renting a new build (2000/2003?) and i can hear EVERYTHING and my neighbour is quiet and considerate and an owner occupier.

Sorry but don't have anyone around for advice on this.

Rose

PS Thanks for information on the neighbourhood - much appreciated.

And my new-build is also falling apart, shockingly so.

Rose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It was ten years ago, but friends still live there.It's still as quiet as it was then. The only build problems in some of the houses that I know of were the chimneys, the builder wasn't known for the quality of the chimneys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

No it doesn't mean the roof is uninsulated. What I mean is the regulations back then called for 100mm so that's what would have been put in, new builds would (should) have higher levels of roof insulation because current regs require it. With the single-storey you can upgrade roof insulation by simply laying more insulation across the attic (assuming the attic hasn't been converted), with the 2-storey most of the insulation is inaccessible so you may not be able to upgrade without significant disruption and cost , eg pull down ceilings, etc. Same goes for most houses of the era.

By the way, all the houses are fully detached and with about 4m separating them so there's no chance of hearing what the neighbours are up to inside. Some people consider older houses better built because they have solid internal walls and weren't slapped up over some weekend with little regard to misaligned doors or the like, so in that respect yes they can be better.

byhookorbycrook is correct, the only 'defect' is that the chimney can have a poor draught at times and so can a bit smokey in gusty weather. A chimney cowl should help.

Genuine thanks guys.

I really appreciate it.

All the best,

Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

rose. I own one of these houses in grange court. Same houses as mt view. Tbh they are a great little house. Post up any specific guestions you have and I'll give you the complete run down when i get to a pc later.

Hi Tom,

That's very kind! You may be sorry :p

My main question at the moment is about the heating and the warmth of the house. I'm worried that it may be expensive to heat in winter and slimjim's intelligent comment on the insulation has me worried about how much hassle/cost would be involved in improving the energy efficiency of the house in the future.

What do you think?

Thanks a million,

Rose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

Hi Rosehip,
    I'm currently living in Mountain View, its a really nice, quiet neighbourhood. As for the heating - the upstairs rooms are very warm on account of them being part of the attic (dormer bungalow). Downstairs is also fairly warm, however if the house your looking at is still on the original back boiler i would get it checked out as we've had problems without ours in the past. We have since changed to kerosene and subsequently to oil (over a fifteen year period). If you've any other questions - just ask

Thanks Warrior - great name!

It's oil central heating - oil tank in back garden anyway. And great to hear everyone recommending the area. Lots of positives!

Slimjim, there is access areas in bedrooms to attic to upgrade the insulation.

And cowl seems easy enough to get so thanks for that guys.

This is a great community!

Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

You're welcome rosehip, its good that it's oil fired heating - better than the back boiler anyway.

Advertisement