Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key Lime Pie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Spent about 2 hours yesterday looking for a recipe I was 100% happy with.
    Headed down to Tesco with my shopping list! 7 euro's to make the whole thing and with the amount of limes I got and the size of the packet of biscuits, if I picked up another can of condensed milk I could have easily made 2 :)

(ignore the ginger snaps, I just made those aswell and my boss put one beside his slice before I grabbed it for a picture :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Lornen wrote: »
    Spent about 2 hours yesterday looking for a recipe I was 100% happy with.
    Headed down to Tesco with my shopping list! 7 euro's to make the whole thing and with the amount of limes I got and the size of the packet of biscuits, if I picked up another can of condensed milk I could have easily made 2 :)

(ignore the ginger snaps, I just made those aswell and my boss put one beside his slice before I grabbed it for a picture :P )

That looks delicious! So good when you make something yourself:)

nesbitt wrote: »
    That looks delicious! So good when you make something yourself:)

Thank you very much! I was afraid the lime zest through the filling would be gritty, but if you bash it about in the mortar and pestle before hand it softens it a bit.

If you're interested in the recipe let me know and I'll stick it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Oh my God I love Key Lime Pie, looks absolutely fab, want!

Yes please, if you could share recipe that would be great. I found 2 on the BBCgoodfood website but the lime content varied considerably from 8 limes to 2 limes so kinda confused.

Don't want mega lime hit but nice balanced recipe. They have really good limes in my local Lidl 79cent for bag of 3 and they now have double cream too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I love key lime pie and have had it in the states etc. Now somebody told me that key limes actually taste more like lemons than ordinary limes. So my girlfriend,whi is a big fan of the key lime pie used half and half lemons and limes.
    Might be no harm to give that a go and compare.

Yes please, if you could share recipe that would be great. I found 2 on the BBCgoodfood website but the lime content varied considerably from 8 limes to 2 limes so kinda confused.

Don't want mega lime hit but nice balanced recipe. They have really good limes in my local Lidl 79cent for bag of 3 and they now have double cream too.:)

I used pretty small limes and I think I needed about 5 for juice and 2 for zesting :)
    I love love LOVE lime but I know not many people in my house do, I was tempted to put more lime juice in but I'm glad I didn't as it has the perfect balance and is in no way over powering :) I had people who weren't fan of limes complimenting it!

Key Lime Pie

Makes 1 - 9 inch (23 cm) pie or tart.

Base

125 grams graham cracker crumbs (can use crushed digestive biscuits)
    2 tablespoons (30 grams) granulated sugar
    5 - 6 tablespoons (70 - 85 grams) unsalted butter, melted.

Filling:

4 large egg yolks
    One can sweetened condensed milk
    120 ml lime juice
    2 teaspoons grated lime zest

Topping:
    240 ml heavy whipping cream
    2 tablespoons granulated white sugar

Base: Crush the digestives and mix them with sugar and melted butter.
    Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a buttered 9 inch (23 cm) pie or tart pan. Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge to chill while you make the filling.

Filling:In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks until pale and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
    Gradually add the condensed milk and beat until you have a light and fluffy mixture (3-5 minutes).
    Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the lime juice and zest.
    Pour the filling into the crust and bake for about 10 -15 minutes, or until the filling is set.
    Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
    Once it has completely cooled, cover and refrigerator until serving time.
    (The pie can be made to this point and stored in the fridge for a couple of days.)

Just before serving make the whipped cream.

In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Either pipe or place mounds of whipping cream on top of the filling.

Enjoy! :)

Going to give this a go at weekend. What oven temp do you bake the filling at?
    Thanks.

Going to give this a go at weekend. What oven temp do you bake the filling at?
    Thanks.

I baked my filling for 14 minutes at 180 celsius on a medium rack :)

Advertisement