Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pubs in Malahide

Options
  • 31-07-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

There's a group of us going to be staying in the grand in malahide in a couple of weeks. While we weren't there before we dont expect the hotel bar to be great so we're just wondering what are the best pubs in malahide with a bit of atmosphere (and maybe Irish trad music?). Any recommendations for food? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

http://www.gibneys.com/whatson.html

Gibneys is your best bet. It's on New Street. It has seven different bars for different tastes so at least one of them should suit your gang and it has a pretty good smoking area. They used to do trad music but not sure if they do anymore.

Food wise Gibneys and Smyths do good pub grub. Otherwise Giovanni's on Townyard Lane and Cape Greko on New Street are very nice Italian and Greek restaurants. Reasonable enough too. The Grand where you're staying does lovely food but it can be a bit pricey and service is very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

There's lots of lovely restaurants in Malahide, I really like The Greedy Goose, check out the menu and other restaurants on menu pages. Siam Thai is really good too. Don't know if you'll get trad music anywhere though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

On top of all the others, I like Gilbert and Wright if you get in early you can grab a sofa, the music is good, food is nice, and it's a nice atmosphere.

Tbh, Malahide is full of choice, always a safe bet that you'll find somewhere good for your taste imo.

Greedy Goose is good but tapas still so if you are into big portions you won't enjoy it and it's cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Depends what day ya go to Gilbert and Wrights at though, there's a bit of a seedy undertone some nights....

El Sorriso above G & W does class Italian food...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Was in malahide yesterday and noticed a banner advertising a website www.enjoymalahide.com might be worth a look:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

focus_mad wrote: »
    Depends what day ya go to Gilbert and Wrights at though, there's a bit of a seedy undertone some nights....

El Sorriso above G & W does class Italian food...

Can you clarify what you mean by seedy? And what night :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Homer wrote: »

Friday and Saturday nights are generally quite messy, if there's any sort of "bg game" on that day there'll usually be a fair sized portion of the crowd there since the afternoon, and hence buckled, same goes for bank holidays. Sometimes the crowd can be youngish (18 - 20), nothing against that age group, but they do tend to get messy when drinking. Actually if you look in any way young, bring id, the door staff are quite strict when the want to be!

That said, never had any hassle in Gibney's myself, probably the most lively pub in Malahide, usually a good old larf!

And food-wise, cape greko is awesome and won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Homer wrote: »

Usually Sundays!!!

Myself and me mates went there for a few scoops after Gibs last Sunday and I think every "older" woman in the establishment rubbed by!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

focus_mad wrote: »
    Usually Sundays!!!

Myself and me mates went there for a few scoops after Gibs last Sunday and I think every "older" woman in the establishment rubbed by!!

It can be somewhat Cougarville like :D

I tend to go there in the late afternoons for food, and the odd time for drinks in the evening. I'd not usually stay very late.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Make sure you go to Kajal for food. A bit pricey, but the best Indian food I've ever had. The lunch menu is a great deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement