Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotguns from US as luggage

Options
  • 31-07-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for some advice on getting several shotguns stored at my brother's house in US. I have bills of sale for all.
    I'd like to bring two of them back with me next time i go to America.
    I've flown with firearms within the US on hunting trips, etc. No big deal really. But haven't flown international. Has anyone had direct experience?
    From what I've read, it seems to me that all I need to do is get license from local Guarda FO. Have already spoken with him and don't see that as an issue. I assume I would then present that license to Customs at Shannon? I'd also have the bills of sale so would hope that I could avoid VAT, etc. by claiming them as personal possessions.
    Is there any other paperwork that I'd need?
    Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Where are you flying out from??Be a good idea to ring up the TSA and airport security,and airline and find out what their requirements are for you to bring firearms thru their security for international flites.
    So long as they dont have folding,telescoping stocks and are not shorter than 18ins[24ins for Ireland]barrels,you will need the liscenses and all the paperwork when you arrive here in Shannon.Deffo the recipts are a great help in Shannon with the customs.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Hi Griz,
    I'll certainly check with the airlines - don't think TSA is an issue as the shotguns will be checked luggage - not carry on!!
    Not sure what you mean by license and "paperwork"? I suppose that's the main question - anything else I need besides license? I can't think of anything but would love to hear from someone who has done this.

Well it IS kind of an issue!
    If you are bringing firearms onto their turf irrespective if it is domestic or international.THEY control security,and it just might be worth you making a courtsey phone call to the cheif of the TSA,or whomever handles this nowadays.Can save alot of bother,and puts you in a good light too.;)
    Paperwork for here and US.

Comply with whatever the DOJ requires here
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Individuals#import
    Current FAC,your certs of ownership,or recipts of purchase.
    Should be good to go then.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Coming back from the Super Shoot in PA a few months back & had absolutely no problems with either the airline (Continental) or TSA.
    Once the firearms are in a hard sided locked case (I use a Peli) along with the ammunition (yes, the ammunition had to be in the same case!), they just did their checks & all was good.
    Travelling elsewhere (South Africa with Air France for example), the ammunition can't be transported in the same case as the firearms - must be in a separate container. This is more usual.

One important point is that if you are permanently exporting firearms from the US (as you appear to be), you CANNOT personally carry them out. They HAVE TO BE EXPORTED by a licensed/bonded carrier.
    I've seen advice contrary to this being given here recently, i.e. "fly over & bring them back". That is wrong & could land you in serious trouble :eek:.

You'll also need an AFT permit if you're not a US citizen to possess/carry firearms/ammunition in the US.
    I've been over & back twice this year with firearms - PM me if you need any further info.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Kramer wrote: »
    Coming back from the Super Shoot in PA a few months back & had absolutely no problems with either the airline (Continental) or TSA.
    Once the firearms are in a hard sided locked case (I use a Peli) along with the ammunition (yes, the ammunition had to be in the same case!), they just did their checks & all was good.
    Travelling elsewhere (South Africa with Air France for example), the ammunition can't be transported in the same case as the firearms - must be in a separate container. This is more usual.

One important point is that if you are permanently exporting firearms from the US (as you appear to be), you CANNOT personally carry them out. They HAVE TO BE EXPORTED by a licensed/bonded carrier.
    I've seen advice contrary to this being given here recently, i.e. "fly over & bring them back". That is wrong & could land you in serious trouble :eek:.

You'll also need an AFT permit if you're not a US citizen to possess/carry firearms/ammunition in the US.
    I've been over & back twice this year with firearms - PM me if you need any further info.

Does the same rule apply if you buy ammo overseas?
    Or are you best off to use all your ammo over there for simplicity's sake?

Just wondering for the coming winter (did I say that out loud ) If one wanted to go to Fermanagh to shoot geese what is the best way to deal with ammo.
    Buy it there and use it there etc?

Just out of interest, I never shot in the north for that reason, and I was always terrified to drive there in case they found an empty shell in the cockpit of the vechicle.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »

Does that apply to a US citizen as well?I have had different answers from different US depts on this one?
    You can also apprently use a hunting liscense of the state you are going to,or written confirmation of you taking part in a recognised competition or course.Has that changed??:confused:

With your PSNI visitor's permit, you can take your own ammunition &/or purchase what you need up there.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Does that apply to a US citizen as well?I have had different answers from different US depts on this one?

If it's a permanent export, yes.
    Not sure as to why you've had different answers from different departments :confused:. Just one department deals with this - The State Dept. & it's written in black & white - it's US law.
    You can also apprently use a hunting liscense of the state you are going to,or written confirmation of you taking part in a recognised competition or course.Has that changed??:confused:
    You need that to apply for an ATF permit but it is the ATF permit that authorises you to possess/carry firearms in the US.
    ATF permit is valid for 1yr from date of issue but you need a valid state hunting licence or current comp. registration on landing in the US - otherwise your ATF permit becomes invalid too.

Not sure as to why you've had different answers from different departments :confused:. Just one department deals with this - The State Dept. & it's written in black & white - it's US law.

Well then sombody in both ATFE and SD ,havent a clue wTF US law is then:mad:.ATFE said yes,SD said No, but they had overriding mandate on this.[Thats when you could get hold of them that is:rolleyes:.]
    You need that to apply for an ATF permit but it is the ATF permit that authorises you to possess/carry firearms in the US.
    ATF permit is valid for 1yr from date of issue but you need a valid state hunting licence or current comp. registration on landing in the US - otherwise your ATF permit becomes invalid too.

Cheers!

Purchasing a firearm or ammunition from a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) for
    exportation:
    A nonimmigrant alien generally MAY purchase a firearm or ammunition from an FFL if the firearm/ammunition is directly exported by the FFL, so that the nonimmigrant alien DOES NOT take possession of the firearm/ammunition in the United States prior to exportation.

From here. You'll also find that in the relevant law - can't remember where now but it's easily enough found.

This was introduced post 9/11.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Be careful.. There was a bit in today's Sunday Times about some Latvian girl who got arrested for leaving the US with a night scope (pressy for her husband/ or father?) Uncle Sam had a field day it appears, "Russion" spy story all over again!
    P.

Advertisement