Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to move back to Ireland and need a place to stay!

Options
  • 31-07-2010 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I'm American but am a Permanent Resident of Ireland. I'm currently living in the states but I'm itching to move back as I am quite sick of the lifestyle here. I've been looking for jobs online and have applied to nearly everything but haven't gotten a response from anyone, probably because my address is in the states and they wouldnt really bother if they can't do a face-to-face interview eh?

So I really want to make the move anyway but i don't have a lot of money at all but i figured being there would make it much easier for me to get a job. anyone willing to take me in?? =) im very friendly and outgoing, 26 female, masters drop-out (unfortunately, but will go back when i settle in!) and very easy to live with!

looking forward to hearing back from anyone! thanks a mill =)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hi everyone!

I'm American but am a Permanent Resident of Ireland. I'm currently living in the states but I'm itching to move back as I am quite sick of the lifestyle here. I've been looking for jobs online and have applied to nearly everything but haven't gotten a response from anyone, probably because my address is in the states and they wouldnt really bother if they can't do a face-to-face interview eh?

So I really want to make the move anyway but i don't have a lot of money at all but i figured being there would make it much easier for me to get a job. anyone willing to take me in?? =) im very friendly and outgoing, 26 female, masters drop-out (unfortunately, but will go back when i settle in!) and very easy to live with!

looking forward to hearing back from anyone! thanks a mill =)

It really won't.

If you don't have any money then stay where you are. Unemployment is at an all time high here and you won't find it easy getting work at all.

Are you looking for someone to take you in for free? That's what it sounds like from your post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭poochierockz

It really won't.

If you don't have any money then stay where you are. Unemployment is at an all time high here and you won't find it easy getting work at all.

Are you looking for someone to take you in for free? That's what it sounds like from your post?

thanks for your reply MagicMarker, i know its not gonna be easy at all but i feel so fed up here that im willing to take the chance. i was there a few weeks ago and it just reminded me of how much i love living there.

i figured id save enough money in the next couple of months to be able to survive there for a few months without a job and hopefully find ANY job by then?

It really won't.

sorry forgot to answer your last question,
    if anyone has a place theyd give me for free in place of house work or whatever, that would be great..or even a really cheap place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

sorry forgot to answer your last question,
    if anyone has a place theyd give me for free in place of house work or whatever, that would be great..or even a really cheap place.

While this sounds like some kind of scam to me, take a look at this:

www.daft.ie/3589591

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A few months to find a job is optimistic. There are plenty of people who've been searching for well over a year with no luck.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    While this sounds like some kind of scam to me, take a look at this:

www.daft.ie/3589591

hmmm... it looks really tempting!
    i think i will email them anyway just to see what the story is..
    thanks for that!

A few months to find a job is optimistic. There are plenty of people who've been searching for well over a year with no luck.

yeah, thats what im afraid of myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

What part of the country do you want to live in? How did you get residency, Irish parents or marriage? What were you studying?

theg81der wrote: »
    What part of the country do you want to live in? How did you get residency, Irish parents or marriage? What were you studying?

Hi theg81der!

Right now, I would love to live in north co dublin, near the coast..but anywhere in dublin is fine.

I was an intern at the Dail for some time and got residency through some connections there.

I got my bachelors of science in criminology and criminal justice and went back for my masters in the same field but had to drop out due to illness/financial strain, American education is a rip-off and I couldnt afford it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

theg81der wrote: »

+1.
    And are you sure that you have not voided your Residency status. You will find it very difficult to get back into the country without any visible means of supporting yourself, if you are considered by Customs and all the State Welfare Services to not being a full-time resident.

• Advertisement

+1.
    And are you sure that you have not voided your Residency status. You will find it very difficult to get back into the country without any visible means of supporting yourself, if you are considered by Customs and all the State Welfare Services to not being a full-time resident.

yeah, I'm sure. I've been back and forth loads of times and they never questioned me at immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hey OP.

I admire you for taking the chance! I doubt I'd have the guts!

As has been mentioned, finding jobs would be really difficult but there are jobs popping up now. I'm from Cork City and in our forum we've an available jobs list and it seems to be getting populated.

Have you considered moving in with an Irish family for a few months and mind children. Know a few girls now doing that. Some seem okay with it. It depends on the family but I'm sure us Irish will be welcoming anyways :)

Best of luck with it!

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Hey OP.

I admire you for taking the chance! I doubt I'd have the guts!

As has been mentioned, finding jobs would be really difficult but there are jobs popping up now. I'm from Cork City and in our forum we've an available jobs list and it seems to be getting populated.

Have you considered moving in with an Irish family for a few months and mind children. Know a few girls now doing that. Some seem okay with it. It depends on the family but I'm sure us Irish will be welcoming anyways :)

Best of luck with it!

heya! thanks a mill for the post. i have definitely thought about that as i do love children and love working with them. but the only type of care ive done is with my nieces and nephews and since im not physically in ireland, i wont be able to meet with any of the parents and im not so sure theyd be too keen on that!

I was thinking of maybe looking outside Dublin, try something new but I don't know if I'm that brave yet!! I've been to cork a million times but don't think I'd feel as comfortable there as I do in Dublin. But who knows, my main reason for going back is to start a new life basically, try new things, meet new people, live a different way of life!

I was on the plane from Germany few months ago and got talking to this German girl that was going to mind some children for a family. She never met them ever but only communicated over email and photos so it's very possible!

Yeah well might as well try where you comfortable with anyways if that is Dublin! Where ever you decide to stay anyways, there are plenty people on this site that go out and do sociable things. We have a huge group of boardsies now in Cork going out fairly regular and lots of social things etc. I'm sure you'd find the same in Dublin :)

I was on the plane from Germany few months ago and got talking to this German girl that was going to mind some children for a family. She never met them ever but only communicated over email and photos so it's very possible!

Yeah well might as well try where you comfortable with anyways if that is Dublin! Where ever you decide to stay anyways, there are plenty people on this site that go out and do sociable things. We have a huge group of boardsies now in Cork going out fairly regular and lots of social things etc. I'm sure you'd find the same in Dublin :)

really? that sounds great! i would definitely look into that then, i saw a few ads looking for childcare but they all wanted to meet face to face, so i guess ill just have to keep looking!

I don't know too many people in Ireland (mainly all ex's haha) so group outings sounds like something I would defo be into!

really? that sounds great! i would definitely look into that then, i saw a few ads looking for childcare but they all wanted to meet face to face, so i guess ill just have to keep looking!

I don't know too many people in Ireland (mainly all ex's haha) so group outings sounds like something I would defo be into!
    Ah I'm sure find some family that are modern enough to talk over the internet :pac:

Best of luck anyways with it :)

Ah I'm sure find some family that are modern enough to talk over the internet :pac:

Best of luck anyways with it :)

Thanks!! been searching and searching all day long but no luck so far.
    I'm so impatient! :P

No probs

Yeah you really seem to have your heart set on coming here alright. Do you know anyone here that could give you help moving?

No probs

Yeah you really seem to have your heart set on coming here alright. Do you know anyone here that could give you help moving?

mainly exes but i wouldnt ask them, i know a couple people but im not very close with them so i guess the answer is no lol .. im pretty much on my own which im fine with cause i think itll be a good experience for me!

i like the idea of moving over on my own and getting everything sorted on my own and then meet new people in the process.

Yeah I'd imagine it be awkward asking the exes alright :) - so you must have lived here for a while already? - least you know what you're coming to. But as said above, it's very doomy and gloomy at moment but things do seem to be picking up job wise.

Yes travelling on your own is probably great experience. Few months ago I went to other side of the world for a few weeks on my own (well met friends but still travelled there on own). I loved it. It's got me mind for going but I've a job here so I think i better stay for now! Some day maybe :)

I'm sure you'll meet new people alright on the way. Do you have any experience in an area you'd like work in?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd imagine it be awkward asking the exes alright :) - so you must have lived here for a while already? - least you know what you're coming to. But as said above, it's very doomy and gloomy at moment but things do seem to be picking up job wise.

Yes travelling on your own is probably great experience. Few months ago I went to other side of the world for a few weeks on my own (well met friends but still travelled there on own). I loved it. It's got me mind for going but I've a job here so I think i better stay for now! Some day maybe :)

I'm sure you'll meet new people alright on the way. Do you have any experience in an area you'd like work in?

lol would be awkward alright. I lived there for a few years and I absolutely loved it. But the experiences I had living there were with the ex and they weren't great because we weren't getting on well but when I was away from him, I had a great time! lol

I was there a few weeks ago and it has defo changed since I lived there and I know the economy is quite bad but I guess my desire to live in the place I love outweighs all that. I know I have to think rationally though, financially it might not be the best decision but I kind of still want to give it a go.

I have experience in the criminal justice field and the usual administrative experience. I dont mind working in anything at the moment and I've applied to basically everything from waitressing to babysitting to call centres. Nothing so far, but I'm keeping my chin up!!

lol would be awkward alright. I lived there for a few years and I absolutely loved it. But the experiences I had living there were with the ex and they weren't great because we weren't getting on well but when I was away from him, I had a great time! lol

I was there a few weeks ago and it has defo changed since I lived there and I know the economy is quite bad but I guess my desire to live in the place I love outweighs all that. I know I have to think rationally though, financially it might not be the best decision but I kind of still want to give it a go.

I have experience in the criminal justice field and the usual administrative experience. I dont mind working in anything at the moment and I've applied to basically everything from waitressing to babysitting to call centres. Nothing so far, but I'm keeping my chin up!!
    Yeah doesn't sound like ye were getting on well if it was when away from him you were enjoying yourself ha =)

I'm guessing applying for jobs when you not available to meet face to face is not helping, especially when there is probably a big enough demand for them. But I'm sure when you get here, things will be easier.

It will be a bit tough to begin with I'd imagine. You'd need a bit saved before you come if you've no job lined up.

Yeah chin up! Things have a habit of working out in the end =)

Yeah doesn't sound like ye were getting on well if it was when away from him you were enjoying yourself ha =)

I'm guessing applying for jobs when you not available to meet face to face is not helping, especially when there is probably a big enough demand for them. But I'm sure when you get here, things will be easier.

It will be a bit tough to begin with I'd imagine. You'd need a bit saved before you come if you've no job lined up.

Yeah chin up! Things have a habit of working out in the end =)

yeah for defo!! I always believe that it does. I'll save up some money and within a few months, I'm gonna make the move!!

yeah for defo!! I always believe that it does. I'll save up some money and within a few months, I'm gonna make the move!!
    You've good few months to plan it anyways so I'm sure it will work out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

Im an American living here, everyone is right..jobs are scarce everywhere but mebbie not as bad in Dublin. I just had an interview up there last week in fact! My husband hasnt been able to find a job in the 2 years we have been here but that may be due to the fact that we are in Limerick. :rolleyes:
    I did have the same issue as you as in no one wanted to talk to me regarding jobs and housing until I was here. I had to come over for 2 weeks, find a job and sort out housing as no one would even respond to my mails..very frustrating. And this was still before the economy totally tanked.
    What part of the states are you from?
    :)

supermommy wrote: »
    Im an American living here, everyone is right..jobs are scarce everywhere but mebbie not as bad in Dublin. I just had an interview up there last week in fact! My husband hasnt been able to find a job in the 2 years we have been here but that may be due to the fact that we are in Limerick. :rolleyes:
    I did have the same issue as you as in no one wanted to talk to me regarding jobs and housing until I was here. I had to come over for 2 weeks, find a job and sort out housing as no one would even respond to my mails..very frustrating. And this was still before the economy totally tanked.
    What part of the states are you from?
    :)

Hey supermommy! yeah, its really really frustrating!! I'm getting so impatient but I just got a call for an interview here in Boston so maybe if the thats successful, I can work with them for awhile, save the money from that and then head over with enough saved up to live there for awhile and that would make the jobhunt there much easier!

I'm from Boston, Mass, what about you?

When I was living there, I had a hard time finding a job as well but I was only looking in my own field (criminology & criminal justice) and a lot of those jobs required me to have some knowledge of the irish language then..at least thats what they told me. I've been told that requirement has changed but now there aren't any jobs at the moment anyway!

What did you interview in last week?? I hope you get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A lot of live-in/childminding jobs are organised through Au Pair agencies.

Irish isn't that difficult to learn up to the rather basic standard required - people do the exam and then never use it again. See any of the Irish agencies (GaelLinn etc) for information on courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

double posted

A lot of live-in/childminding jobs are organised through Au Pair agencies.

Irish isn't that difficult to learn up to the rather basic standard required - people do the exam and then never use it again. See any of the Irish agencies (GaelLinn etc) for information on courses.

I looked into that and read that you could only be an Au Pair in Ireland if you are an EU national. I'm a Permanent Resident, does that include me? I figured it wouldnt since it doesnt qualify me for other things such as EU tuition prices for universities etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

I'm from Boston, Mass, what about you?

What did you interview in last week?? I hope you get it :)

It was for a position with the mobile network 3, I didnt get it but thats ok. Was just trying to move to Dublin but I think we are happy to stay near Limerick. :)

Im from Northern Cali.

Are you having any luck?

Advertisement