Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection

Options
  • 31-07-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this is welcome on this board, but if its not, Mods please remove it.

My husband smoked since he was about 14. Despite many suggestions that he should stop he continued destroying his health and stinking the house. Eventually it became obvious that his lungs were in poor condition and the doctor said that if he stopped smoking he (the doc) could give him inhalers to help his breathing. So he did, and with the help of patches he stopped. That was about 3 years ago, he had been smoking over 50 years.

He assumed that when he gave up smoking his health would improve, but in fact he was gone too far and it is steadily getting worse. He can walk about 30 meters, on the level, slowly, and has difficulty with stairs and hills. The subject of a wheelchair has been discussed, though no decision yet.

So, if you are in the process of giving up, keep at it, you may feel bad now but nothing like what you could be feeling around the time when you should start to enjoy your retirement. If you are only thinking about it, don't think any longer, the sooner you give up, the better your chances of your lungs healing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Sorry to hear of your situation, I can empathise with you as some years ago I seen my granny deteriorate slowly but surely from smoking.Thanks for sharing your story.

Advertisement