Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evolve it?

• 31-07-2010 8:17pm

This is always a matter of debate among Pokémon fans, I've noticed. So let me ask: do the people here evolve their pikachu or not?
    Most people choose not to evolve it because of the influence of the anime, in which pikachu often beats raichu on a test of speed. There also seems to be some weird moral dilemma in evolving him, which I never understood. But the fact of the matter is that all of raichu's stats are higher than pikachu's, including those for speed. The only difference between the two is that raichu can only learn moves by TM/HM. But even at that pikachu stops learning moves at level 45.
    I always evolve my pikachu. But then again, I think raichu is the most adorable thing ever, so perhaps I'm prejudiced. =P

Do you use a Thunderstone on your pikachu? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Yes i evolved my pikachu. But ive never seen the attraction to pikachu in the first place. Im not into the wole cute thing. I like pokemon that are badass, which raichu is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Then again this argument can apply to nearly anything that evolves via an elemental stone, since they either stop learning moves or they only learn one or two more moves at a really high level once they evolve...

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Then again this argument can apply to nearly anything that evolves via an elemental stone, since they either stop learning moves or they only learn one or two more moves at a really high level once they evolve...
    Yeah Ninetales and Arcanine are the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

...tbh.... I never really liked pikachu :/.... I love pichu :P... but raichu is cool (so ya..I evolve'em) ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Let's see, Pikachu can use the Light Ball that doubles it's Attack and Special Attack. Raichu has higher base stats and therefor packs more of a punch, but pales in comparison to a Light Ball Pikachu. Pikachu is a middle stage 'mon, so is more of a surprise to see in a battle, surprise can throw battlers off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Yeah, I have to agree - Light Ball Pikachu is the way to go! Though Raichu's slightly bulkier stats can come in handy too, especially if you would rather not be instantly KO'd in the way Pikachu probably would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

STRONGRAPEMON Used EARTHQUAKE
    The attack was super effective
    ENEMY Pikachu died

Or.....

ENEMY Raichu died

Ah electric pokemon, you will never escape your fate at being at the mercy of one of the best most accurate attacks in the game, and your types typical low defence :)

On a sidenote, I just realized that I said dies instead of fainted. Nuzlocke is breaking my mind :eek:

Thomas-G wrote: »
    ENEMY Pikachu died

Or.....

ENEMY Raichu died

Ah electric pokemon, you will never escape your fate at being at the mercy of one of the best most accurate attacks in the game, and your types typical low defence :)

On a sidenote, I just realized that I said dies instead of fainted. Nuzlocke is breaking my mind :eek:

Well the same effect can be gotten by using type-advantage in ANY battle

And @the people bragging about light ball pikachu; raichu can hold a light ball, too =/ all you have to do is evolve your LB pikachu. Besides, ALL of raichu's stats are almost double a normal pika's, not just attack and special

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

In Red I ALWAYS evolved it, because Raichu is bad-ass and Pikachu isn't. :P In Platinum I evolved it too and slapped some more thunder boosting items into it's little paws. Good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

And @the people bragging about light ball pikachu; raichu can hold a light ball, too =/ all you have to do is evolve your LB pikachu. Besides, ALL of raichu's stats are almost double a normal pika's, not just attack and special

That's true, but Raichu doesn't get any stat boosts from holding a Light Ball. It only works for Pikachu. =/

Raichu's perfectly awesome anyway, I loved having one on my team while playing Emerald! Who couldn't love this adorable guy?

Tiny_Raichu_by_raizy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Who couldn't love this adorable guy?

Tiny_Raichu_by_raizy.jpg

*raises hand*

TheChrisD wrote: »
    *raises hand*
    *HISSSSSS*
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pikachu is the archetypal glass cannon, trying to protect the poor little bugger is half the fun. Raichus look like fat, old, past-it Pikachus, can't imagine why you'd ever want one unless you were involved in some sort of nuzlockesque "putting the team back together" rp run.

Banjo wrote: »
    Pikachu is the archetypal glass cannon, trying to protect the poor little bugger is half the fun. Raichus look like fat, old, past-it Pikachus, can't imagine why you'd ever want one unless you were involved in some sort of nuzlockesque "putting the team back together" rp run.
    Lol you think so? You've obviously never seen raichu in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I have. That's why I know what it looks like.... the clue was in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Lol you think so? You've obviously never seen raichu in action.
    If anything, Banjo has seen too much, things that can't be unseen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Evolve it, I'm sick of seeing Pikachus smug little face everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I evolved it. Never bothered getting a Light Ball Pikachu anyway, and I never use Legendaries, so Raichu was a decent option.

Anyway, I use Luxray as Electric now. So I no longer care about Pikachu beyond the cute. So I've got a Raichu AND a Pikachu now. And use neither.

Advertisement