Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

External hd for saves and watching videos

• 31-07-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hi i have an external hd currently formatted to ntfs that i intend to create a partition in FAT on so I can connect it to my xbox and watch videos stored in the FAT partition. Would it also be possible to have a separate 16gb partition formatted by the xbox for save games on the same drive. Also does the size of the drive matter for reading from it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hi i have an external hd currently formatted to ntfs that i intend to create a partition in FAT on so I can connect it to my xbox and watch videos stored in the FAT partition. Would it also be possible to have a separate 16gb partition formatted by the xbox for save games on the same drive. Also does the size of the drive matter for reading from it.

It should be. Someone else can advise the maximum size for save games for the Xbox, but a gig or two will be more than enough, keep the rest for videos. I have a 1.5TB harddrive hooked up and it's fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I haven't tried formatting the external for game saves yet but I used partition magic to create a 10gig FAT32 partition keeping the rest as NTFS, but the xbox doesn't recognize it so I suppose I'll have to format all the drive to FAT32 or HFS. How did you set your drive up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Make a partition of 16 gb as Fat32(If you need to you can make a couple of partitions) and you can use that for your saves and installed games if you wish and then the rest of the HDD will work as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Hi thanks for the help the external is working great now. Using 16GB for game saves and the rest of the FAT32 partition for movies.The rest of the drive is partitioned to NTFS for my other stuff.

Advertisement