Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising in Certain Magazines

Options
  • 31-07-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭

I regularly buy Magazines but i'm begining to despise things like Dvd reviews & advertising. Some even go as far as Reviewing Products(like Phones, Watches or Camera's) that have NOTING to do with a PS3,360 or Any other Machine.
    In particular OPM-UK trying to flog me 3D Tv's then saying it only costs £2,600 as if i'm a Impulsive Millionare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

They have to scrabble pretty hard to make money in print. There's a silly excess in titles, even accounting for the ones published out of a single office or with shared rescources. This kind of "subtle" product placement has been de rigeur in the print media for years now. You find it in everything from fashion to fishing. (and the other letters too, presumably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I don't pay for spam, which is what all mags are these days. The day of paper media is dead, they're clutching to whatever income they can get due to falling mag sales. Mags that were good years ago are now page after page of adverts.

Online reviews are even more biassed, its gone full circle, if You want advise on a device or setup its hard to know where to look for advise, You really gotta find someone on a forum with something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't even look at covers other than GamesTM/Edge, as they're a right mess of advertising"exclusives" and 10 different fonts.

Also I have a hatred for magazines which carry ads on the back cover (i.e. all but Edge)

But at least it'll never be as fashion magazines, which are fully 1/3 ads at BEST.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I can't remember the last time I even looked at a gaming magazine tbh never mind buying one. With today's level of net access I get hourly updates via my mobile on news items that interest me, never mind browsing the web so why pay good money for outdated information?

Advertisement