Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mass at the racecourse

Options
  • 31-07-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

anyone know if there is mass at the racecourse tomorrow please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Hopefully there is not. It would be very embarrassing if there was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Hopefully there is not. It would be very embarrassing if there was.

Especially for the atheist horses.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Last time that I heard that there was a mass at the Racecourse, the Pope was at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Oh the Irishness of such a thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Ya, it's on in the Parade Ring as always. Not sure what time though, it's either 11.30 or 12.30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

Sorry but thats just aaaarrrrraaaggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
    Gambling!!! Alcohol!!! Vainity!!! etc. etc.
    then...... lets have a mass, sure its Sunday afterall, we can "pray" our horse comes in!
    The Hypocritcey has gone so far past the line, the line is just a dot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

BornToBe? wrote: »
    Sorry but thats just aaaarrrrraaaggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
    Gambling!!! Alcohol!!! Vainity!!! etc. etc.
    then...... lets have a mass, sure its Sunday afterall, we can "pray" our horse comes in!
    The Hypocritcey has gone so far past the line, the line is just a dot!!

I think the point is to bless the whole proceedings and to pray that horses and jockeys riding there remain safe for the year. I don't see what the problem is. I think that's a nice sentiment and tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

The point is... the races are everything the church is against, so why do they get involved, tradition aside, as nice as it is, more like trying to be "down with kids" IMO, if they wanted horses and Jockeys to be safe and well, they'd tell preach not to get on a horse, go as fast as it can, and jump over big fences, and for everyone else to gamble on which one makes it, while drinking and drooling over young women in revealing dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The point is... the races are everything the church says it is against
    FYP

/Atheism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Last time that I heard that there was a mass at the Racecourse, the Pope was at it

Now that was a mass to end all masses. It's the last mass i was at.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The point is... the races are everything the church [says it is] is against, so why do they get involved, tradition aside, as nice as it is,

I was at the races one evening during the week, and I don't believe I did anything that the church would [say it is] against. Yes, I gambled (but in moderation, according to my means), I drank (again, in moderation respecting my body's capacity to handle alcohol and also get up for work the next day), and generally enjoyed myself. I was also courteous and polite to the people I was with and the people around me, And I chose not to oogle the human "flesh" that was on display because I have a partner who I'm very attached to.

In fact what church would have more problems with what happened when I went home, because (horrors!) we're not married.

Re why the church gets involved (if indeed it does, I have no idea): I'd imagine it's because the organisers ask them to. To me, it seems very odd to have a church service (of whatever flavour) at a sports event, but it seems to be the sort of thing that's done here. As someone said "ohh, the Irish-ness of it".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It was originally started for the bookies, Gardai and connections of the horses who would not be able to go to a church as they would be working on the course all day Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Look I'm an atheist who doesn't have a problem with anyones religious beliefs but odds on you know what people will be praying for and it aint peace in our time and relief for the starving in the Third World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

soundbyte wrote: »
    Ya, it's on in the Parade Ring as always. Not sure what time though, it's either 11.30 or 12.30

Well it's on at a time that people wouldn't otherwise be going. So if you want Mass, go to the track earlier, if not then come at the normal time.

As long as it's not put at a time and place in the way of the main event then I don't think it should really be an issue. Go or avoid as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't have a problem with it, same as i don't have a problem with believers or non believers. Live and let live.:cool: I just hate fanatics from either side.

punk77 wrote: »
    Look I'm an atheist who doesn't have a problem with anyones religious beliefs but odds on you know what people will be praying for and it aint peace in our time and relief for the starving in the Third World.

I'm not singling you out specifically but your sentiment is pretty representative of a lot of the negative stuff expressed here.I think it's just a bit overly cynical. Most people who attend a mass like that are people who go to church every week. To think they're all gamblers and owners just praying for a win is ridiculous.

I think you've also lost sight of the fact that horse racing is a pretty dangerous sport and way to make your living. Someones career can be ended in a moment if they have a bad fall. It's only a few years ago that a young jockey was killed during a race at Galway. Most of the people attending such a mass are involved in the sport and more likely to have those kind of things on their mind at that time rather than who'll be first in the 3.25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

When has praying ever achieved anything? If there is a god he's doing a pretty **** job tbh.

It makes me sad thinking of the mindless delusional fools who attend mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

chilly wrote: »
    It's only a few years ago that a young jockey was killed during a race at Galway.
    What? Link?

soundbyte wrote: »
    What? Link?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1101/death.html

You'll have to copy and paste that as it doesn't seem to be working. Otherwise google jockey Sean Cleary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

galwayrush wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with it, same as i don't have a problem with believers or non believers. Live and let live.:cool: I just hate fanatics from either side.

The problem is, the church doesn't subscribe to your philosophy of "live and let live."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

JustMary wrote: »
    In fact what church would have more problems with what happened when I went home, because (horrors!) we're not married.

It's because in an early stage of human development, space beings came down and had orgy sex with our females. Stories from all over the world report this, and some call the beings father and others refer to their word for God.

The sons and daughter from such couplings are reported to have been more beautiful and radiant and desirable. Some had super strength, like Hercules and so on and so forth.

Now the correlation can be confusing, but if we assume the overall experiences with these aliens was not overtly beneficial, then in an effort to control the production of these offspring the concept of not allowing sex was a sure fire way of stopping the spread of theses creatures. The concept of sex within marriage was that the couples could be 'vetted' and if alien DNA was suspected then the marriage would not be allowed.

Of course in other cultures they took a different view and they continued to practice open orgies until the Catholic Mission arrived and flogged them for being bold.

Advertisement