Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like there is travel chaos aheaf for 41X users.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

is the 142 going to be affected? hope not,it stops on my doorstep in holywell,excellent service for the price of a regular bus €2.20
    with the ten journey ticket it's only €1.80 into town,and it takes only 20mins

please don't ruin this service! if anything it should be expanded (it's always jammers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

punchdrunk wrote: »
    is the 142 going to be affected? hope not,it stops on my doorstep in holywell,excellent service for the price of a regular bus €2.20
    with the ten journey ticket it's only €1.80 into town,and it takes only 20mins

please don't ruin this service! if anything it should be expanded (it's always jammers)

The court case only affects the 41X.

From Joan Burton's website:

http://www.joanburton.ie/?postid=1388

No End in Sight for Swords’ 41X Port Tunnel Saga
    August 19, 2010

There may be a winter of discontent in store for Swords based commuters as the Minister for Transport considers his options after the recent High Court order which overturned his decision to allow the 41X service to use the Dublin Port Tunnel. This saga is now running for more than two years and doesn’t look like ending any time soon.

Like the many commuters who use this service daily, I was delighted when the Minister saw sense back in 2008, after sustained pressure by myself and by local commuters, and allowed the 41X to use the Dublin Port Tunnel.

The Port Tunnel is an important piece of public infrastructure, paid for by taxpayers, and it beggars belief that Dublin Bus could be prevented from using it for a popular rush hour service simply to preserve a private monopoly.

If the 41X is barred from using the Tunnel, people living in and around River Valley, for example, will again be faced with either persisting with a bus that takes up to half an hour longer because it can’t take the most direct route or hiking twenty minutes to Airside to take a private bus and then pay for 3 euro for the privilege. People with tax-saver commuter tickets would be particularly hard done by as there is no facility for tax refunds on private bus services.

It is only fair that a certain proportion of express, peak-time commuter buses, serving the different areas of Swords, have access to the Port Tunnel. This is the only way that all commuters in the area can get a real express service to work.

In a letter to me, dated 13th August, Minister Dempsey said that his Department “has begun consideration of the judgement in consultation with the Attorney General’s office. It is understood that the Order of the Court will not be perfected until October and there are then three weeks in which to lodge an appeal. The decision whether to appeal the judgement is still under consideration by the Department.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

KC61 wrote: »

If the 41X is barred from using the Tunnel, people living in and around River Valley, for example, will again be faced with either persisting with a bus that takes up to half an hour longer because it can’t take the most direct route or hiking twenty minutes to Airside to take a private bus and then pay for 3 euro for the privilege. People with tax-saver commuter tickets would be particularly hard done by as there is no facility for tax refunds on private bus services.

My missus pays for her Swords Express ticket through work and gets the tax breaks
    http://www.swordsexpress.com/fares_and_tickets.php?cPath=20&location=1

Hasn't SwordsExpress had an application in to serve AppleWood for years also? Whatever happened to that?

My missus pays for her Swords Express ticket through work and gets the tax breaks
    http://www.swordsexpress.com/fares_and_tickets.php?cPath=20&location=1

Hasn't SwordsExpress had an application in to serve AppleWood for years also? Whatever happened to that?

It is still awaiting a decision....I'm not holding my breath!

• Advertisement
Advertisement