Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 Subjects in the Leaving Cert...

• 31-07-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Well,
    I did 30 subjects in the LC this year...
    It's the most anyone's done here -or in any other state exam worldwide.
    If anyone's interested in seeing how it went,
    I'm gonna put a documentary of it on YouTube!

This is the first proper episode charting the World Record attempt...
    (There are 30 earlier episodes, but they are very boring and out of date now... they just give study tips & predictions for the 30 subjects I sat.)

There will be an episode going up every day from now till the results are out...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Nice, I'll be interested in watching those. Fair play for attempting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

REALLY?. What subjects did u do?. Can someone post a link to the video?. make sure u put up a pic of your results sheet wen u get it wud be v.strange :L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Other than the really crap background music, that was a good video. Seriously though, sort that out. it made me want to bore a hole in the side of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

The video's just up above ^^^
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vYrLTpqgpc)

Subjects were:-

Languages:-
    ENGLISH (H)
    IRISH (O)
    FRENCH (O)
    GERMAN (O)
    SPANISH (O)
    ITALIAN (O)
    RUSSIAN (O)
    JAPANESE (O)
    SWEDISH (H)
    HEBREW (H)

Maths, Science, & Business subjects:-
    MATHS (H)
    APPLIED MATHS (H)
    PHYSICS (H)
    CHEMISTRY (H)
    BIOLOGY (H)
    AG. SCIENCE (H)
    HOME EC. (H)
    ECONOMICS (H)
    BUSINESS (H)
    ACCOUNTING (H)

Humanities, Arts & Practical subjects:-
    GEOGRAPHY (H)
    RELIGION (H)
    HISTORY (H)
    CLASSICAL STUDIES (H)
    MUSIC (H)
    ART (H)
    DCG (O)
    TECHNOLOGY (O)
    ENGINEERING (O)
    CONSTRUCTION (H)

(Probably failed Applied Maths, Accounting, Hebrew, Swedish, & Chemistry...)

Best results will be Music & Geog.

And the background song is 'Coming Back' by DJ Dado. Nice bit of cheesy 90's dance music :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

How did you manage to do the 6 hour practical for engineering? Did another school accomodate you? Same for woodwork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Wow - fair play to you for taking that on!
    Lamph wrote: »
    (Probably failed Applied Maths, Accounting, Hebrew, Swedish, & Chemistry...)

What counts for record-making purposes - the number of exams you sit, or the number you pass? I assume it'll be the number that you actually pass?

Mount Sion.

The Principal there is one of the soundest people in Waterford.
    He allowed me use of their Woodwork & Metalwork rooms, and that's where I did all the practical & project work.

When I was trying to get it sorted, I also approached St. Pauls & The Abbey about it

(The less said about Mr. Lanigan & the Abbey, the better...)

btw, the next episode is up on YouTube now...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mXchlSlNY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is Swedish your mother language?
    How did you get to sit that?

I am learning Polish and would love to try it at Leaving some day, but was told I had to be a native speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Wow that is really cool! At least if you don't do well in the subjects you really need you can repeat next year and just do the normal number of subjects. You should approach news papers and even the news I think they would be interested in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

I thought everybody knew about this guy? he saved my ass on a few exams with his predictions :D

• Advertisement

The number passed is the crucial one...

...and yeah, for any of those non-curricular languages, you do have to say that it is your mother tongue, (em... I mean... it does have to BE your mother tongue) or you're not allowed sit it :rolleyes:. Also they are marked extremely hard. My sister tried Swedish in 2005. She was quite good, she had an excellent higher level essay learnt word for word (It was translated by a native Swede) -and it was quite relevant to the essay title, but it got less than 1/4 of the available marks because the standard of Swedish in the essay didn't tally with her overall standard, and it was obviously learnt off. (She got 35% overall).

...and Rabbitandcavy... I won't need to sit it again next yr. :p I'm not doin' this to get a college place, I've already done the LC. I'm a teacher trying to raise awareness & funds for the school I run...

Good luck wit the results cookiemonster!!
    Hope those predictions work out 4u.

I have the 3rd episode online now...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g_VN6UM2oE
    They're flyin' up. There'll be another one put online 2moro. I hope some of ye who are interested here will subscribe to the YouTube channel. That way ye'll be notified anytime a new one is uploaded! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I didn't think they were marked that hard. My sister did Portuguese and she got an A1 in it. My sister wouldn't have the highest standard in that language, especially when it comes to writing it. I suppose they might not mark all the non-curricular languages the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Have you raised much money as a result of this for your project?

As a matter of interest, why did you decide to do so many higher level subjects? Wouldn't it have made more sense to do all (or at least most) of them at ordinary level to reduce the workload and give you a better chance at passing more of them?

20 higher, 10 ordinary, cause its 2010 lol

But why not 20 ordinary, 10 higher?! :P

Just kicking us all in the teeth that lil bit more ;):p

Just kicking us all in the teeth that lil bit more ;):p

:D No!!!

Could've done 20(O) + 10(H), but wanted a BIGGER challenge than that. U see when people hear it's 20+10, they always assume it's the easier option...
    ...basically I did it the tough way, as a challenge for myself, but also so that muppets couldn't try & take from it by sayin'
    "well most of those subjects were only Ordinary Level."
    (Though I may still regret that decision on Aug 18th!)

I have another video made!
    (They take ages to put together... Bring back DCG, all is forgiven!)
    This is the best docu-vlog episode yet...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PqAeZKfiUw
    Shows the craziness that was goin' on around the time of the Japanese oral. (Includes footage from within the exam itself!) Hope u like it!

That's gr8 that ur sister got her A1 in Portuguese! Perhaps there's a good deal of variance in the marking of the non-curricular languages... or ur sister is just way better than she lets on! :p
    But I have seen two Swedish scripts returned in the past, and both were marked pretty viciously.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sounds like a great challenge! Honours Hebrew though?? Did you study it before or something? I'll definitely be subscribing. Do you have a blog?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

Mount Sion.

The Principal there is one of the soundest people in Waterford.
    He allowed me use of their Woodwork & Metalwork rooms, and that's where I did all the practical & project work.

When I was trying to get it sorted, I also approached St. Pauls & The Abbey about it

(The less said about Mr. Lanigan & the Abbey, the better...)

btw, the next episode is up on YouTube now...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mXchlSlNY

great to hear about this record attempt and the great work you are doing im wondering how you did the ag science and home economics practicals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ilikesunshine

:D No!!!

Could've done 20(O) + 10(H), but wanted a BIGGER challenge than that. U see when people hear it's 20+10, they always assume it's the easier option...
    ...basically I did it the tough way, as a challenge for myself, but also so that muppets couldn't try & take from it by sayin'
    "well most of those subjects were only Ordinary Level."
    (Though I may still regret that decision on Aug 18th!)

I have another video made!
    (They take ages to put together... Bring back DCG, all is forgiven!)
    This is the best docu-vlog episode yet...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PqAeZKfiUw
    Shows the craziness that was goin' on around the time of the Japanese oral. (Includes footage from within the exam itself!) Hope u like it!

That's gr8 that ur sister got her A1 in Portuguese! Perhaps there's a good deal of variance in the marking of the non-curricular languages... or ur sister is just way better than she lets on! :p
    But I have seen two Swedish scripts returned in the past, and both were marked pretty viciously.

Fair play to you ..
    Just did the leaving myself this yr did 9 subjects thought that was enough !!
    I think I'd definately be willing to do that for charity (yours maybe??) in the future - after college possibly- think it's gr8 for raising awareness in a good way like =]
    PM me for contact details if you get a chance/want to !

Advertisement