Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The First 100K

• 31-07-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

So tomorrow i'm going to attempt my first 100K cycle from Dublin to Wexford, I've been averaging about 70-80K in recent weeks and was just wondering if anyone out there had any tips to get me through the last 20K. Secret snacks you might take yourself in the final stretch of your cycles or motivational songs, anything thing at all no matter how random.....actually scratch that the randomer the better:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're in pain, stop for a couple of minutes and walk around. But no longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BALSA

Lumen wrote: »
    If you're in pain, stop for a couple of minutes and walk around. But no longer.

Would that not ruin your whole focus on the bike? i think i'd find it hard after stopping to get back into the mindset of cycling a god distance if you get me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Just did my first 100k today. You prob would be best to break the trip, maybe aim for 60 - 70 then take a break before final 30 - 40. I found lots of water helped, oh and comfortable cycling shorts! Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You'll know how your body is feeling, but I'm not a fan of stopping but I do what Lumen says. If I'm on a long ride I usually stop in a shop and get a sandwich but eat it standing up, sitting down can do more harm than good sometimes (try sitting down for 20 mins then go climb a hill straight away and you'll know what I'm on about). Also pace yourself, if you're on your own go at a comfortable pace. One mistake I'm very guilty of is getting into a group that's too fast for me or doing too much at the front when I'm not capable of stints at the front of some groups.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

For me, cycling is all in the head. For sure, you need to have prepared properly and you need to fuel properly, but for me at least, it's all in the head.

You have to KNOW that you can do it. And if this is your first century, then you'll have to psych yourself up a bit for it. If you've achieved 80 before, when you get to 80, mentally reset the clock for an easy 20.

Good luck tomorrow.

DFD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

BALSA wrote: »
    Would that not ruin your whole focus on the bike? i think i'd find it hard after stopping to get back into the mindset of cycling a god distance if you get me

No, if your back muscles seize up then a stretch is your best answer. Gritting your teeth and pushing through it only goes for exhaustion and lactic burn, muscle seizures need to be stretched out.

Best advice I can give is enjoy it.

For me, cycling is all in the head. For sure, you need to have prepared properly and you need to fuel properly, but for me at least, it's all in the head.
    You have to KNOW that you can do it.

I think this is the best advice for me, i think ill take a break at the 80K mark and just relax, thanks everyone for the advice, ill post tomoro and let you all know how it goes!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

You'll know how your body is feeling, but I'm not a fan of stopping but I do what Lumen says. If I'm on a long ride I usually stop in a shop and get a sandwich but eat it standing up, sitting down can do more harm than good sometimes (try sitting down for 20 mins then go climb a hill straight away and you'll know what I'm on about). Also pace yourself, if you're on your own go at a comfortable pace. One mistake I'm very guilty of is getting into a group that's too fast for me or doing too much at the front when I'm not capable of stints at the front of some groups.

Yeah, you cruel feckers, hill just after the foodstop today:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

xz wrote: »
    Yeah, you cruel feckers, hill just after the foodstop today:p

Best possible hill location :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

You'll be fine, if you can do 80k you can do 100k, just make sure you have a bit of fuel left to get you through the last 20 whether its gel, bars, drinks whatever.
    It's more a psychological than physical hurdle and when you see that speedo hit the 100k mark for the first time...you'll feel good don't worry!:)

CPL 593H

well, how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

i did my 1st 100 a few weeks back. similar to yourself was building up doing 60-80kms. Its in the head for the last bit. Ive found that dont tie yourself to time a minutes brek when necessaru and talking to yourself helps. Also knowing the route or parts of it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

You have to KNOW that you can do it. And if this is your first century, then you'll have to psych yourself up a bit for it. If you've achieved 80 before, when you get to 80, mentally reset the clock for an easy 20.

Good luck tomorrow.

DFD.

I wish to God I could agree with you there. Ive run marathons, completed triathlons and completed sportifs but when the legs are gone, they're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

If you can do 70-80K then you can do 100K, not much difference. In fact, the last 20K could be more of a cool down. 60 miles on a bike can easily be done in a sitting, unless, we're talking the Pyrenees.

Bring some Gatorade, eat some fruit. I like to stop and have a coffee and scone. The caffeine usually kicks start the second half of the ride.

PowerBar gels are great, as to are Cliff Shot Bloks.

At this time, you probably cannot go find these readily. Bring a banana and eat it, it will ensure you do not cramp.

Water is great, however, you will need to replenish salt and sugar as well. That's where Gatorade comes in - great stuff.

Just listen to your body, don't attack the first few hills. Midway through, see how you are feeling and then turn it up a notch. If you feel that you are strong in the last 20, go all out. Do a time trial and ensure you are burnt out by day's end.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice lads, did the 100K and it felt weirdly easier than i imagined it would, even got an extra 5K on top, stopped at the 70K mark for about 2 mins just to eat. Thanks again for the advice...next step 120K:pac:

BALSA wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads, did the 100K and it felt weirdly easier than i imagined it would, even got an extra 5K on top, stopped at the 70K mark for about 2 mins just to eat. Thanks again for the advice...next step 120K:pac:

well done.:D

Advertisement