Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rechargeable Batteries???

• 31-07-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

I've only recently bought a digital camera and rechargeable batteries with it. I uploaded about 100 pics to my laptop, the batteries died - I took about 25 pics with the camera, the batteries died - I tried to look at one 2 minute video with the camera, and the batteries died.

Is this the brand of batteries I'm using, or are all rechargeable batteries like this? I was getting fed up buying the normal brand of batteries, which, although they didn't last very long, they lasted much, much longer than the rechargeables. Not sure if this is the right place for this, but mods, please feel free to move it to relevant section which I can't find at the moment. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

Well, i got a camera before with rechargeable batteries and they were quite good, they lasted me for a long time before dying.
    I reckon it could be just the brand, i dont know how much rechargeable batteries cost but maybe the best thing to do is buy new ones and see how they do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

They probably shouldn't die so easily, what mAh rating are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was in the same situation - new digital camera - it recommended rechargable batteries - bought an energiser set in heatons for about €15.

I charged up the batteries and for the first couple of times I used it the batteries died very very quickly - literally within a day or two.

After about 3 long charges they seem to have sorted themselves out - so much so I didn't even bring the charger on a weeks holidays - I was fully confident the batteries would last - which they did - after constant use for the full 7 day holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i have the old version of this:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-9673.aspx

It cost €38 for the charger and 4 AA batteries. The batteries are 2450 mAh.

They charge in 1hr and last for about 300 photos in a finepix digital slr.

you can just buy the batteries with out the charger too:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-3142.aspx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whats the mAh rating on tha batteries you are using, anything that isn't 2500mAh your wasting your time with I'm afraid especially in a high drain device like a digital camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Are you sure its just 1hr charge time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

The best battieries to use for a digital camera are the lithium batteries from energiser. They are expensive but they last for around 600 shots.

Also when uploading to the pc you should just take your memory card out and hook it up direct to the pc or laptop thereby not wasting your battery energy. If your pc doesnt have a slot for the card you can by a card reader from argos for around €15.

Although my cameras have their own brand rechargable batteries which last a long time I use normal batteries in my flashes. I have been meaning to change to rechargeable so would love if anyone here can let me know which exact ones they find the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Fittle wrote: »
    I've only recently bought a digital camera and rechargeable batteries with it. I uploaded about 100 pics to my laptop, the batteries died......

You aren't giving us much information. What brand and model is
    the camera? What brand, type and capacity are the batteries?

Are the batteries fully charged? Slow chargers take many
    hours to charge high capacity batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Energizer have a good fast charger. It was only promotion recently for 14.99, usually 39.99. Charges the 2 2450mAh it comes with in about 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Plus, it may also take a few charges before the batteries "settle" - rechargeable batteries have "memories" and need to be regularly fully charged and fully drained for best performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    i have the old version of this:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-9673.aspx

It cost €38 for the charger and 4 AA batteries. The batteries are 2450 mAh.

They charge in 1hr and last for about 300 photos in a finepix digital slr.

you can just buy the batteries with out the charger too:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-3142.aspx

Didn't know they delivered to here.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'll try moving this to the Photography forum

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Cabaal wrote: »
    Whats the mAh rating on tha batteries you are using, anything that isn't 2500mAh your wasting your time with I'm afraid especially in a high drain device like a digital camera
    That's not necessarily true. I'm using the Sanyo Eneloops and they have only 2000mAh and they are the best I ever had.
    I was using them in my Canon Speedlight 580EX II for a wedding last week and was using one set of 4 for nearly 3/4 of the wedding (church + after), taking something between 400 and 500 pictures with flash. They also had a very good recycling time.
    An additional advantage is that you can store them charged and they will still have around 75% of their charge after 1 year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I use Lidl rechargable batteries in my flash guns 2500mAh and they are fine. Only 2.49 per 4 AA batteries. I also use 7dayshop.com batteries, never a problem with them. I use the Uniross chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

sorry for not getting back here - Ill have a look at the charger and batteries I bought and get back to you. I bought them in power city - charger was 12.99, and batteries were dear enough - I'll have a look when I get home. It's a 4 hour charge, but I've charged them all overnight sometimes, and still the same..I think it could be the brand.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

It's to do with the Mah, I use the new 7dayshop AA 2100 good to go, they have the same as the Sanyo Eneloops only there own brand and much cheaper but order enough as the postage is the same for one item or a hundred

One set would las for a wedding no problem, they are fantastic

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=3&type=3060&man=96&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Got Uniross 2700mAH AA batteries from:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Rechargeable-Batteries/Uniross/Uniross-Performance-Rechargeable-Batteries---4-x-AA-2700mAh

£UK9.99 for 1 pack of 4. Currently 3 packs for the price of 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Ansmann are probably the best, but the Sanyo Eneloops are superb also. Some chargers (like Ansmann) charge each cell independently and drop to a trickel charge when charged. Cheaper chargers keep going and can actually end up discharging the batteries - so don't charge for longer than recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

can any charger charge any battery? by that i mean can i buy a charger + batteries now, and down the line get more batteries (hopefully higher capacity) can i use the same charger?

i know its not wise to mix capacities while in the camera...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

I, like someone else who posted before me, use 7dayshop AA batteries, with a Uniross charger. They always seem to last me long enough on a full charge. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

Have a look through your camera menu. You will find an option to select the type of battery your using in the camera. There should be 2 or 3 battery types to choose from, select the Ni-MH option (i think) and see if that makes any difference.

Not sure what type of camera your using but, tbh, from the sound of your op it could be just a case of the batteries being faulty! I dont think that brand or mah is your issue. I bought my wife a coolpix compact camera a while back and she has 2 rechargeable batteries from aldi in it and they last forever!!

Advertisement