Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Tunnel

Options
  • 31-07-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Has security in and around Heuston station eased off so much that people can now walk off platforms and take pictures in the tunnel?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055974041&page=11
    (the pics are on post #156)

Surely this is a serious case of trespassing and a breach of health and safety.I'm not trying to spoil the fun of whoever took the pictures and i am well aware of how the tunnel isn't used that regularly but the likes of this spoils it for others by putting themselves in such danger and totally ignoring warnings towards trespassing??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

All I can say to this is: :eek:

And also that the photographer would be toast if a train did come along the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Rud wrote: »
    Has security in and around Heuston station eased off so much that people can now walk off platforms and take pictures in the tunnel?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055974041&page=11
    (the pics are on post #156)

Surely this is a serious case of trespassing and a breach of health and safety.I'm not trying to spoil the fun of whoever took the pictures and i am well aware of how the tunnel isn't used that regularly but the likes of this spoils it for others by putting themselves in such danger and totally ignoring warnings towards trespassing??

Get a life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Get a life!

To be fair the OP is trying to advise people to hang on to 'the life' they have. If you read the other posts around it 'instructions' are given on how to reach the tunnel. Irresponsible IMO !!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Get a life!

+1 Great picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

An IE or security personnel could also have an interest in photography. :rolleyes:

Great Photos +1 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Get a life!

Thanks for that valuable input there.Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Thanks for that valuable input there.Well done

You’re very welcome, glad to be of assistance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Effects wrote: »
    chisel wrote: »
    I know commenting is bold, but love those shots from the tunnel effects.

How hard is it to get to the tunnel?

From the Heuston end it's easy, you just walk off one of the platforms. Coming from the other side you have to walk on the line from cabra for about 2 km before you get to the tunnel. Even though it's rarely used these days I wouldn't recommend people to walk it. It can be dangerous and it is trespassing. It's something myself and a friend had on our tick list for years and just got around to it lately.

To be fair, even the photographer warns against going down there. I'd hardly think it's irresponsible posting or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Prob a staff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Good photos tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The refreshing part for me is that it was most likely NOT an enthusiast trespassing.:D

Pittens wrote: »
    Good photos tbh.

They are great photos,i just find the whole thing that little bit irresponsible while at the same time i am quite jealous that they have got away with getting down into the tunnel and getting some great shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hungerford wrote: »
    And also that the photographer would be toast if a train did come along the tunnel.
    Luckily for the photographer, that doesn't happen very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

while at the same time i am quite jealous that they have got away with getting down into the tunnel and getting some great shots!

there is nothing stopping you from going down there either apart from the risk of getting caught trespassing...

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

there is nothing stopping you from going down there either apart from the risk of getting caught trespassing...

or being killed by an oncoming train...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Despite the PPT being a key transport link in Dublin City, with a full loading gauge, twin track welded rail on concrete sleepers ... the chances of the photographer being hit by a train are next to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alt_Grrr wrote: »

:rolleyes:

as Seanw said...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Amazing photograph. Thanks for alerting us to it.

:rolleyes:

as Seanw said...

so basically what your saying is it is ok to hop down onto any track in the country as long as it's quiet and not much chance of getting hit by a train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

so basically what your saying is it is ok to hop down onto any track in the country as long as it's quiet and not much chance of getting hit by a train?

No he didnt. Stop being so pedantic and get a life.

• Advertisement

Get a life yourself if you have nothing good to say please don't be butting into the conversation just to have a dig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Get a life yourself if you have nothing good to say please don't be butting into the conversation just to have a dig

Public forum Im afraid....;)

The person who took the photo is an artist and a good one at that. Did he/she get hit by a train taking this photo... not at all. Did they do something potentially dangerous? Yes, but no one got hurt and the result is bloody spectacular. It wasn't THAT dangerous.

It is also a socially important image too. Basically, when you think about it, he/she got a photo of the Irish version of Bigfoot or the Lough Ness Monster. Most Irish people including IE managers refuse to believe that this tunnel even exists.

Again to the original photographer. Thank you very much!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Obviously the Irony is lost on some so let me explain that SeanW was making a point that the PPT is an under-utilised asset that could be made far more use of except that IE choose not to. Despite being in good condition it is used only for stock transfers and the very occasional sportfan special. A criminal waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

corktina wrote: »
    Obviously the Irony is lost on some so let me explain that SeanW was making a point that the PPT is an under-utilised asset that could be made far more use of except that IE choose not to. Despite being in good condition it is used only for stock transfers and the very occasional sportfan special. A criminal waste.

My kind of thinking, but I can't condone trespassing after my incredible accusations against the enthusiast/railtour fraternity.:D*

*Its obvious that this particular (and brilliant) photo was not taken by an enthusiast.

The PPT story rolls on and on. Like Navan - Drogheda, it will take on even more relevence in these penniless times....with a bit of imagination and a lack of a "what we can't do" mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Play nice folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Thanks for the clarification Corktina, that's exactly what I meant. Obviously my own post wasn't clear enough for some, this I should not have expected.

As an aside, I don't think I.E. even uses the tunnel for sports trains anymore, nowadays GAA specials and the like from the South and West terminate in Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

SeanW wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification Corktina, that's exactly what I meant. Obviously my own post wasn't clear enough for some, this I should not have expected.

As an aside, I don't think I.E. even uses the tunnel for sports trains anymore, nowadays GAA specials and the like from the South and West terminate in Heuston.

As far as I know this tunnel is used several times a week by container trains to Ballina. Empty Railcar and towed Darts also occur regularly enough and light engine movements between Inchicore and Connolly. No doubt the odd pernament way trains/machines show up too...so it's not exactly disused...and the chances of being hit are a bit more than zero, especially seen as the non-passenger trains are harder to predict in their timing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxgUYIjltns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

oh Im sure you are right but " several times a week for a double track cwr tunnel linking north and south should have a regular passenger service on it....

• Advertisement

oh Im sure you are right but " several times a week for a double track cwr tunnel linking north and south should have a regular passenger service on it....

I have no doubt that someone, somewhere within Irish Rail management has already placed an order for bricks and mortor (from his brother's builder's supply company of course) to block up the entrances to the Phoenix Park Tunnel at some stage in the next few years. I would be amazed if this wasn't the case.

They'll probably start finding "serious structural cracks" in it soon...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement