Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Tunnel

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

But it is illegal.

On a scale of a bank director taking 80 million Euro out of the till and putting it in his own pocket how much of a sleazy criminal would I bit to do a bit of filming in there?

Personally, I won't be ravaged by guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have ears. I will hear the train coming.

I feel a song coming on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Fully understand the reasons why the IC does so much more than the PPT.

However, I have a few questions regarding possible use of the line.

(1) Is it possible to electrify (DARTify) the tracks under the tunnel?
    (2) Would it be possible to excavate and build a station at/near Dublin Zoo?
    (3) Are there any other locations on the line suitable for stations?
    (4) Would it pass the Canal End of Croke Park which included as far as I recall provision for a station?
    (5) Would it interfere with provision of a LUAS extension via Broadstone to Broombridge?

Godge wrote: »
    Fully understand the reasons why the IC does so much more than the PPT.

However, I have a few questions regarding possible use of the line.

(2) Would it be possible to excavate and build a station at/near Dublin Zoo?
    (3) Are there any other locations on the line suitable for stations?
    (4) Would it pass the Canal End of Croke Park which included as far as I recall provision for a station?
    (5) Would it interfere with provision of a LUAS extension via Broadstone to Broombridge?
    They could use the former cement site at Cabra to build a station there, but if it ends up any way like Broombridge then it's probably not worth it!

With the current layout it would not pass the canal end of Croke Park. Glasnevin Junction only currently allows PPT trains to enter the Drumcondra - North Strand Junction - Connolly section. With a realignment here it would be possible though.

It wouldn't at all interfere with the Luas, that line merged further down the Sligo line at Liffey Junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Exactly. Someone seeing that post might think the place was safe to go into. The fact that people keep saying it's not used makes the situation worse, it's not used by passenger trains but IS by other trains and at the end of the day if you get hit by a train it doesn't matter if it is passenger or not. There are no doubt also risks associated with walking on the pw itself, slip trip and fall and all that... What if someone fell (oily sleepers, uneven ballast, etc...) banged their head and unconsciously lay there for hours, unknown to anyone. The consequences don't bear thinking about.

Get off your soap box please.

If somebody hangs out a train slamdoor window on a railtour with a pint glass, all of your probabilities come into play. But you didn't slate that bit of safety ignorance.

Trespassing is wrong. Full stop. That applies to photographers, enthusiasts and anyone else who fancies their chances. Safety on the railway is paramount and I find it distasteful how some posters are being selective about what they criticise in terms of trespass/safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Get off your soap box please.

If somebody hangs out a train slamdoor window on a railtour with a pint glass, all of your probabilities come into play. But you didn't slate that bit of safety ignorance.

Trespassing is wrong. Full stop. That applies to photographers, enthusiasts and anyone else who fancies their chances. Safety on the railway is paramount and I find it distasteful how some posters are being selective about what they criticise in terms of trespass/safety.

I'm not being selective about anything...there's no question about it - going into a dark tunnel to take photographs is not a good idea. Given your previous concerns about far less risky situations I'm surprised you don't agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Karsini wrote: »
    They could use the former cement site at Cabra to build a station there, but if it ends up any way like Broombridge then it's probably not worth it!

With the current layout it would not pass the canal end of Croke Park. Glasnevin Junction only currently allows PPT trains to enter the Drumcondra - North Strand Junction - Connolly section. With a realignment here it would be possible though.

It wouldn't at all interfere with the Luas, that line merged further down the Sligo line at Liffey Junction.

Thanks for that. Helps put a practical feel on it.

Must say that the more stations and the more access, the more users will find commuter rail practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I'm not being selective about anything...there's no question about it - going into a dark tunnel to take photographs is not a good idea. Given your previous concerns about far less risky situations I'm surprised you don't agree.

DWCommuter does agree
    Trespassing is wrong. Full stop.

and does express concern over less risky situations:

DWCommuter is just making the point that if we really want to talk about rail safety, then we should equally have threads discussing things like that too.

Hello everyone by the way, I'm a long time lurker in this forum!

Read my post again.

Read my post again.

He might read it. But he won't understand it.

I would just start ignoring all these Irish Rail Management or Nothing/IRRS "useful idiots" and not even engage them in posts anymore.

Unless it comes from the dribbling mouth of some ex-CIE management welfare case with a leaky colostomy bag every second Thursady then these types will never agree with it.

Just ignore them. They only want to see the network closed so they have all the "Farewell Special" possible. It's not about rail transport, it's about archiving infrastructural sabotage which excites them.

IRN will welcome them with an pint glass out a carraige window, sorry I mean open arms.

It's only commuters opinions we should be idulging here. Not trainspotters working as undercover propagandists for the Amiens Street shower.

Right, thats me banned and the thread locked. But it was worth it and I got the Navan DART idea out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Godge wrote: »

Perfectly possible. More than enough clearance for overhead electrification. That applies to the whole route.

IE's own commissioned study varifies this:

Click here and go to section 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Guys, this whole thing is getting tiresome. Yes, yes, I know this is a public forum and people are entitled to, etc . . . but this endless dragging of threads off topic to have a dig at other people and groups is so repetitive that it means that *useful* stuff is getting lost.

I think at this stage we all know where certain individuals stand in relation to other groups and individuals. We don't need another thread dragged off with this stuff. We get the message, thanks, now can you quit with the barbs please.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Blunt Guy - that report on the state of the Phoenix Park tunnel makes it quite clear that the tunnel and majority of the trackwork, ballast etc is in excellent condition (in 2003) - probably still is - and the only reason for it not being opened up is that CIE/IE fear it would damage their case for the Interconnector. Am I correct? I think that with finance now being very tight it would make more sense to proceed with the PPT link and put the dubious Interconnector on hold.

I hope I get killed by a train in Phoenix Park Tunnel and my ghost trapped inside it. I will be finally able to use it on a regular basis then.

and the only reason for it not being opened up is that CIE/IE fear it would damage their case for the Interconnector.

HAMMER - NAIL - HEAD.

and does it not also speak volumes about how insecure Irish Rail are when it comes to the Interconnector. Like the grand plan is not as watertight and "grand" as they want us to believe?

I think I may well have found a smoking gun in the whole plan with the potential bottleneck that will be created at Drogheda. It will become Connolly North. They can get over this by going to Navan but they are too stupid, short-sight and anti-rail to think of something as pragmatic and useful as this.

The PPT saga also exposes just how anti-rail development CIE is and always has been.

Blunt Guy - that report on the state of the Phoenix Park tunnel makes it quite clear that the tunnel and majority of the trackwork, ballast etc is in excellent condition (in 2003) - probably still is - and the only reason for it not being opened up is that CIE/IE fear it would damage their case for the Interconnector. Am I correct? I think that with finance now being very tight it would make more sense to proceed with the PPT link and put the dubious Interconnector on hold.

I read that report years ago. It quite correctly explains the differences between the interconnector and the PPT. No argument there as in 2003 the poor comminication to the general public about what the interconnector actually did was very evident. However that reports examination of alternative uses for the PPT is dubious and always will be. Its references to spencer dock station (presumedly Docklands or maybe the under ground version) are devoid of clear explanation and contradictory to what IE told the Oireachtas transport committee in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

On balance I should not have to intervene in threads that often, if at all.

But I find that I have to intervene on rail related threads far, far too often.

This thread is locked. When I get home this evening, I will also check out the behaviour of individual posters for the purposes of removing their ability to be as obnoxious and as disruptive as some of you are.

It is decidedly unfair on me, Victor and the wider boards community that I have to do this as often as I do on rail related threads. Some of you should get off your high horses and look at your own hearts and maybe recognise that the fact that you are likely to get banned is a reflection on the merit and worth of your contributions here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement