Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda bus station

Options
  • 31-07-2010 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Is Drogheda bus station and Drogheda train station the same place.
    I heading to Belfast and instead of driving to Maynooth and getting the train the rest of the way and waiting 35 mins in Connolly for the Enterprise thanks again appreciate any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

T Corolla wrote: »
    Is Drogheda bus station and Drogheda train station the same place.
    I heading to Belfast and instead of driving to Maynooth and getting the train the rest of the way and waiting 35 mins in Connolly for the Enterprise thanks again appreciate any help

The bus station is 2km from the train station, tough walk it's all up hill
    easy to fiind, out of the bus depot turn right into the dublin road and keep going until you see it on the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

easy to fiind, out of the bus depot turn right into the dublin road and keep going until you see it on the left

Appreciate that thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

There's no hill at all. Apart from the enterance to the train station, but that's nothing. It'll take 20 mintues at the VERY MOST to walk it. More like 15 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

There's no hill at all...

What???

Think about it; the Bus Station is at most 2-3 metres above sea level, as it right beside the river which is tidal right up through the town. The Train Station is at the same altitude as the train line, which - in case you never noticed - crosses the Boyne over a great big high bridge.

In fairness, it's a fairly long hill, and not very steep, and practically un-noticeable in a car. But it's very noticeable if you're cycling or walking. (I've never actually done either there myself, but I had a conversation on this very subject just a couple of days ago with a friend who's from Bettystown and went to school in Drogheda. I reckon he should know!)

• Advertisement

From the Bus station to the train station is indeed all an uphill walk, but it's not too bad.

It's not really that steep (until you're just about to enter the train station itself) and it does tend to level out a few times.

Unless you're rushing, you will be grand. Done the walk a few times. It only starts to get uphill as you pass by Scotch Hall. I did a few times over a 20-30 minute period and you wouldn't notice you were on a hill at all.

That said, however; if you're in a rush, you'll notice it's on a hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

What???

Think about it; the Bus Station is at most 2-3 metres above sea level, as it right beside the river which is tidal right up through the town. The Train Station is at the same altitude as the train line, which - in case you never noticed - crosses the Boyne over a great big high bridge.

In fairness, it's a fairly long hill, and not very steep, and practically un-noticeable in a car. But it's very noticeable if you're cycling or walking. (I've never actually done either there myself, but I had a conversation on this very subject just a couple of days ago with a friend who's from Bettystown and went to school in Drogheda. I reckon he should know!)

You're right, I've never thought of it like that and now I feel like a bit of a fool! :o

Having said that I wouldn't call it a tough walk or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shamelle

I'm thinking about changing from train to bus this autumn and the walk from bus station to five oaks is challenging enough...especially for someone unfit like me. Do any of you use the bus eireann bus to dublin? Is it usually packed (and returning)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

shamelle wrote: »
    I'm thinking about changing from train to bus this autumn and the walk from bus station to five oaks is challenging enough...especially for someone unfit like me. Do any of you use the bus eireann bus to dublin? Is it usually packed (and returning)?

Use the Matthews bus, picks up at Grangerath and goes via Bettystown..

http://matthews.ie/en/coach-services/bettystown-dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shamelle

kbell wrote: »
    Use the Matthews bus, picks up at Grangerath and goes via Bettystown..

http://matthews.ie/en/coach-services/bettystown-dublin

Thanks KBell. Thought of that but my work only does taxsaver tickets with Irish rail and buseireann and taking that into account Matthew's works out more expensive. Would be really handy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Get on to your employer so http://matthews.ie/en/what-are-taxsaver-tickets

Can't imagine much paper work involved for them, i'd have the attitude they can get it with a service that suits them so why can't I if the coach service offers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

shamelle wrote: »

If you have to use Bus Eireann, you could catch the 101 from the Black Bull or at Stameen. Some of them take a more direct route, especially in the mornings.

I'd second the Matthews bus from Grange Rath via Bettystown though if you can manage it - it's a great service!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

What?! This says a lot about the fitness of the nation! I've walked that road roughly a million times over the past 20 years or so and have never heard it even remotely referred to as a hill! If you feel like you're on a hill then maybe time to hit the cross-trainer. Hit Constitution Hill for a hill ;)

Tis a 12-15 min walk from bus station to train station.

Advertisement