Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were told to design a new contraceptive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Einhard wrote: »
    That's just weird!!

I know the Irish mammy has a special place in the nation's heart but seriously...

Ah now, we weren't married. It was just my girlfriend's mother- milf of the century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Up the Bum, no harm done.

Up the fanny, your mother's a granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ah now, we weren't married. It was just my girlfriend's mother- milf of the century.

Ah that's different then...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I like to call my method the "Swallow or it's going in your eye" method.

Quite effective so far! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

vise grip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

all in one pyjamas

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

Make it a requirement for females to perform kegal exercises so much that they can squeeze and stop a man's climax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Drink ban

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Having a baby seems to work, both of us are too tired at the moment compared to what we were like before he was born...having said that he was planned and is very wanted and loved .

• Registered Users Posts: 83,065 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

How about a pill that the woman takes which prevents her ovaries from producing eggs?

There are more than enough contraceptives,but alcohol/stupidity prevents them from working all the time. . .

The method you suggest while one of the better ones is not without its flaws

Doesnt suit some women i.e. older/smokers/susceptible to the side effects
    The absent minded/forgetful mightnt take it as directed (Injectable/implantable contraceptives are better in this regard)
    Not 100% effective
    Not (currently) an option for blokes (much is made of women trusting blokes to take the male pill if there were such a thing but apart from this being based on the false assumption that its an either/or thing Why do we assume that blokes can trust women to take it......)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The ideal contraceptive would be a non-invasive, easily reversible version of a vasectomy or hysterectomy. Imagine your doctor had a remote control that could just switch on your reproductive abilities when you want to have kids?

There is the potential problem that the state could control when you could have kids, especially if the procedure was performed at your birth, but with expanding populations, this may be more prevalent in millenniums to come...

Only problem with such effective contraception - STDs would be rampant!

Dardania wrote: »
    Only problem with such effective contraception - STDs would be rampant!

Because it would never occur to anyone to use more than one method of contraception

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Because it would never occur to anyone to use more than one method of contraception

condoms in this case would be contra-stds?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13232-radiocontrolled-sperm-tap-turns-off-vasectomies.html
    "It will be like turning a TV on and off with a remote control," added team founder Derek Abbott, "except that the remote will probably be locked away in your local doctor's office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

I believe the contraceptive you're all looking for is Risug :)
    Some of the advantages, according to Dr. Guha. He explained in an interview that there are reasonable advantages as an effect of this substance.-"this is the advantages of my new formula"- Dr. Guha stated.
    • Effectiveness - There has been only one unplanned pregnancy among partners of the 250 men who have been injected RISUG — apparently due to an improperly administered injection. 15 of these men received the injection more than 10 years ago.
    • Convenience - There is no interruption before the sexual act.
    • Non-invasiveness - The process, once it is refined and approved, is expected to be operation-free. Men can leave the hospital immediately after an injection and resume their normal sex lives within a week.
    • Duration of effect - According to Guha, a single 60 mg injection can be effective for at least 10 years.
    • Reduced side effects - After testing RISUG on more than 250 volunteers, neither Guha nor other researchers in the field report side effects other than a slight scrotal swelling in some men immediately following the injection, which goes away after a few weeks, though there are also unconfirmed reports of kidney problems.
    • Reversible - The contraceptive action appears to be reversible by flushing the vas deferens with another injection of dimethyl sulfoxide or sodium bicarbonate solution. (The sodium bicarbonate solution cannot be used as the solvent in the initial injection since it would neutralize the positive charge effect.) Although this reversal procedure has been tried only on primates, it has been repeatedly successful. Unlike in a vasectomy (see Blood-testis barrier), the vas deferens is not completely blocked, the body doesn't have to absorb the blocked sperm, and sperm antibodies are not produced in large numbers, making successful reversal more likely than with a vasovasostomy.

from a 2010 update
    Within 2012, there could be clinical trials of RISUG for U.S. men. RISUG could be on the U.S. market as early as 2015, although initially just as an alternative to vasectomy.

More info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

What about the idea of some form of sperm diverter?

Some invisble tube that blows the load into a doggy bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

other peoples kids are the best contraceptive, it will stop you from having sex or else face dealing with the consequences i.e. scary screaming demanding babies!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6131744.stm
    A Japanese hospital plans to set up a "baby hatch" allowing mothers to anonymously drop off their newborns so they can be put up for adoption.

The drop-off at Jikei Hospital in southern Japan will consist of a small window in an outside wall, which opens on to an incubator bed, officials say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

I'd implant a chip in people's brains so that everytime they got the urge they'd see images of Auschwitz/Srebrenica/AIDs victimes etc in their mind

to some people that would turn them on even more!
    i'm considering a ban from ah jus to post some links up! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Dardania wrote: »
    condoms in this case would be contra-stds?

Not necessairly.

A couple could have both been tested and still using two methods of contraception

and anyway the correct term for what youre on about is propholaytic

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

elius wrote: »
    And the pill its a joke. My misses took her's religiously and we're expecting November :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:....

She probably didn't take it religiously tbh.

Watching The Snapper turned me off for a good 24 hours, that was effective :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Random thought, just in from long shift in work.

If I was asked to design a contraceptive it would be:

Do a shift in a video store on a saturday night before you have sex.

The amount of whinging, crying little shítes is a definate turn off!

Yours?

While i share the opinion that children shouldnt be near anyone whose trying to do their already crappy public-facing job, I would still not be a fan of your argument about not having them. Who is going to look after you 50 years time when your off in the funny farm?

Children are a good thing, whingers or not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Cling Film - When it's all you've got and nothing else will do!

Ziplock Bags and Rubber bands - Keep it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ollchailin wrote: »
    Seriously though, in this day and age, particularly in Ireland & other developed countries, I can't understand how so many teenage pregnancies/accidents occur. I know there'll always be a few "surprises" but it's so easy to get the pill & even easier to get condoms- it doesn't make sense, how stupid/irresponsible are people?! As I said, I know you can be as careful as possible & still get caught (mikom! :)) and that's really difficult I'm sure, but as for the rest of them- I don't understand it!
    I'm guessing you haven't seen Idiocracy, then? The smart people avoid pregnancy, the dumb procreate, and the movie is about what happens if you extrapolate this trend 500 years in to the future.

Modern medicine and sanitation are keeping far more children alive who would previously have died, due to their defects or their parents' stupidity: the evolutionary urge towards large families makes sense when you realise that most children, historically, didn't survive to adulthood.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Thes have never failed me before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

While i share the opinion that children shouldnt be near anyone whose trying to do their already crappy public-facing job, I would still not be a fan of your argument about not having them. Who is going to look after you 50 years time when your off in the funny farm?

I suppose I'd need them at some point to take me out to dinner and change my piss bag every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

Well that is assuming a lot.. such as they won't die before you, or that they will get along with you... or that you won't be in great health until you die. There are no guarantees in life and having kids so they will look after you when you are old is as crappy excuse as any.

and re: idiocracy... at least RISUG is an idiot-proof alternative contraception unlike the alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

An arse

Advertisement