Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were told to design a new contraceptive?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

mikom wrote: »
    Whatever you do, please design one better than the coil.
    My missus was fitted with the coil as a contraceptive measure, and its useless
    We're expecting a baby in the spring.
    Are you sure it's hers?

Ah come on. Remarks like that are totally uncoiled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

My girlfriend asked me what I thought we should use as a contraceptive.

Apparently her being naked isn't one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Fizman wrote: »
    Ah come on. Remarks like that are totally uncoiled for.

He's "winding" him up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

bnt wrote: »
    I'm guessing you haven't seen Idiocracy, then? The smart people avoid pregnancy, the dumb procreate, and the movie is about what happens if you extrapolate this trend 500 years in to the future.

Modern medicine and sanitation are keeping far more children alive who would previously have died, due to their defects or their parents' stupidity: the evolutionary urge towards large families makes sense when you realise that most children, historically, didn't survive to adulthood.

http://xkcd.com/603/

Gotta love xkcd as the ultimate answer to everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MikeRoeSopht

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

shove a little plug up the penis, but it may pop someones eye out...if you finish outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Rhyme wrote: »
    I dunno, slinkys are pretty hot.

/derp

Is that the one where your pregnant wife falls down the stairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

this is defo not the new contraceptive anyway! :P

hehehehe

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

a little off topic but it think it would work pretty well to keep women from getting pregnant
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/1073546/anti-rape-female-condom-unveiled-for-world-cup

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

http://xkcd.com/603/

Gotta love xkcd as the ultimate answer to everything.
    I saw that one: I see the "wise" character tell the first character that he's wrong ... but doesn't explain why. The argument against the Idiocracy issue seems to boil down to "I don't like it". Then the "wise" character makes a "straw man" comparison with old religious zealots bemoaning "yoof". It doesn't address the point I was making: the real, huge, changes in survival rates, over all of society, over the last couple of centuries.

I'm not talking about the perception of "moral decay", and neither was the film: I'm talking about the short-circuiting of natural selection by modern medicine and agriculture. Millions of children are surviving, who would otherwise have died, only to be faced with burgeoning overpopulation. Old people have been moaning about the young for as long as there have been old people, but this is a genuinely new situation. Yes, things will "sort themselves out": they always do. But ... :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

bnt wrote: »
    I saw that one: I see the "wise" character tell the first character that he's wrong ... but doesn't explain why. The argument against the Idiocracy issue seems to boil down to "I don't like it". Then the "wise" character makes a "straw man" comparison with old religious zealots bemoaning "yoof". It doesn't address the point I was making: the real, huge, changes in survival rates, over all of society, over the last couple of centuries.

I'm not talking about the perception of "moral decay", and neither was the film: I'm talking about the short-circuiting of natural selection by modern medicine and agriculture. Millions of children are surviving, who would otherwise have died, only to be faced with burgeoning overpopulation. Old people have been moaning about the young for as long as there have been old people, but this is a genuinely new situation. Yes, things will "sort themselves out": they always do. But ... :rolleyes:

Yeah, but people have been saying we're running out of space on the planet for about a thousand years now.. these things are never as bad as the scaremongerers let on.

Evolution hasn't stopped btw, still lots of kids in the third world dying before their fifth birthdays. We will always be adapting to our environment.

Advertisement