Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the real cost of building work

Options
  • 01-08-2010 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all

i would like to read your replies on the cost of building work and the quality of work you get for it

due to the recent down turn I have reduced my rates by maybe 30-40%, after losing a few contracts where i though a could not be beaten on price and build quality i started to ask one or two clients what price the successful candidate came in at, only to find that their price for the complete build was the same or slightly over my costing for materials alone. I would be very interested in how builders can construct any thing to come near or even comply with current building regulations at these prices, has any one opted for the rock bottom and what were the results i would be interested in hearing all replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi all

i would like to read your replies on the cost of building work and the quality of work you get for it

due to the recent down turn I have reduced my rates by maybe 30-40%, after losing a few contracts where i though a could not be beaten on price and build quality i started to ask one or two clients what price the successful candidate came in at, only to find that their price for the complete build was the same or slightly over my costing for materials alone. I would be very interested in how builders can construct any thing to come near or even comply with current building regulations at these prices, has any one opted for the rock bottom and what were the results i would be interested in hearing all replies

A friend got his cottage in Rathgar demolished and rebuilt into a 1400 sq house (single story front half / 2 storey rear half) for 90,000 euro. There were three main elements to that stupendously low price

1) His builder was a developer fallen on hard times and in need of cash now. He'd be a bit like the bank-owned hotels who are selling rooms below cost simply to get some money in - and ruining things for the rest of the industry. This developer had all the equipment needed and wouldn't need to include hiring it in his costs. You on the other hand might have to

2) No taxes paid.

3) Many of the costly items such as Rational Windows, Veluxs, internal doors, kitchen were all bought on DoneDeal for a fraction of the usual cost. IIRC he was picking up new windows at 10% of list price. Mac's Salvage in Islandbridge got in a pile of top quality engineered door and are flogging them for 50 quid each. What he did was design his house around the cheap materials - something you could offer your clients to help cut their costs.

PS: the quality of build was atrocious but my mate wouldn't appreciate quality and so saw no problem not paying to get it. I do some DIY type work for folk and would be quality-picky but have noted there being little point in dotting i's and crossing t's as most people aren't interested in paying for it. You might consider guaging peoples interest in quality and if detecting little interest in that then pricing to suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smokeyjoe321

PS: the quality of build was atrocious but my mate wouldn't appreciate quality and so saw no problem not paying to get it. I do some DIY type work for folk and would be quality-picky but have noted there being little point in dotting i's and crossing t's as most people aren't interested in paying for it. You might consider guaging peoples interest in quality and if detecting little interest in that then pricing to suit.

Thanks for your reply antiskeptic

Like your self quality and building regulation complyiance play big part of any works i carry out, i would sooner be sitting at home than doing a substandard work for a client, you hear to many complaints about rouge traders, and i do not wish to be filed under that catogary. People need to under stand the you get what you pay for

Advertisement