Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin eye.

Options
  • 01-08-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Passing by Mr Crosby's new Dublin Eye today at the 02,nearly completed I see and a nice looking yoke too. But I'm wondering is it a tad out of the way to achieve it's potential. Far be it from me to second guess Crosby,he's a lot more savy buisness wise than I will ever be,but it seems to me that relying on his concert goers and the weekend market to make it pay might not work.
    The 02 doesn't do everyday buisness and even though the Luas runs down there now the area isn't a hive of activity at the best of times. And,I've heard a price of €9 pp for a go mentioned, not sure if that's correct though.

Anyway,is it something you'd travel down for,do you think it would be better served up the liffey nearer town?
    Personally I do, I think it would be a great draw for locals and tourists if nearer the city. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a huge success.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

It's called 'The Wheel of Dublin' I believe. Slightly pricey at €8 per person for a thirteen minute spin. Personally I think it's a great idea. Location is is ok, and served by the Luas. I think most will have a go at least once after that I'm not sure. It hasn't been advertised or publicised enough in my opinion.

I do hope it is successful. Dublin needs more things for people to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

It is a bit out of the way alright. I thought the price was a bit high too when I seen it but looking at the London Eye I suppose its not too bad. £18.90 for a standard ticket, whichis about 23 euro I guess. It does revolve over 30 minutes but a big wheel is a big wheel in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Is this up and running yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Passed by it this morning, actually I parked up to have a look at it.

Tbh, IMO its not that impressive at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Funny location but I suppose Harry's the only one that'd take it apon himself. Needs it to boost up his market there too. Ah sure the fella generally has his head screwed on and I know my 7 year old is mad to get going on it.

Here's some pics taken on Wednesday gone. Excuse the rather gack quality...

4123A369D0554C5C9D601A6E2DF3A432-500.jpg

41E69BB33B204CECB7E5340B39CE9F24-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

ian_m wrote:
    It hasn't been advertised or publicised enough in my opinion.
    I live in Switzerland and I've seen loads about it over the past week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Well the .. seats or cubes or whatever their called were nearly all installed last evening, so it shouldn't be long now. I'll be interested to hear from those who have a go on what the view is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pert

Should be dead on. I was asking one of the lads working on it, he said it was the same one that was in Belfast. The Belfast one must have been doing alright business as it only left because it couldn't get planning permission again. Granted it was right bang in the centre of the town.

But the view of Dublin is so much better, and there's loads more to see. I'd gladly pay €9 to go on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Despite my despise of developers, this one gets the thumbs up from me. Did you see it all lit up at night?

Its quite impressive and a welcome addition to the skyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Good Idea by Crosby, prob make himself a mint from it. Easily accessible by the Luas. Another good tourist spot and family attraction.

Only weakness is that I would consider it slightly out of the way really, and would of been better served further up the quays, like the london eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Raedwald wrote: »
    Only weakness is that I would consider it slightly out of the way really

was on it earlier and it really is a bit too far down the quays. Good views of the aviva stadium and out to the sea, but feck all to see looking west, where you see the roof of the O2, a few derelict warehouses and the abandoned Anglo construction. Otherwise all you see if rooftops. Shame really

I suspected as much. Pity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

here's the view into town from the top

4853791940_1d6dffb351_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

here's the view into town from the top

What a sh!te view :rolleyes:

KTRIC wrote: »
    What a sh!te view :rolleyes:

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

There's a better view of the city from where i work!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Adults € 9.00
    Senior citizens/Students € 7.00
    Children 4-16 € 6.50
    Children 1-3 € 1.00
    Infant under 1 Free
    Family Ticket € 23.00

Private Capsule € 55.00
    VIP Capsule € 75.00
    VIP with champagne € 95.00

what a rip :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Seems incredibly low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Fecking hell, thats a rubbish view........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I doubt that's the only view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

private capsule eh...For someone wanting to join the 100ft high club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

zuutroy wrote: »
    private capsule eh...For someone wanting to join the 100ft high club?

great place too go for a quick one lol totally out of sight :cool:

VIP with champagne € 95.00 - WHAT?!?!?

You'd get a room in a nice hotel with a nicer view of Dublin and have some privicy with the other half for that kinda layout!

Is someone forcing you to go on the wheel and buy champagne Midlandsm?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

I am stunned by this, that is a serously rubbish view, and very expensive (and I wont even get started on the price differences between the one in Belfast and this one).

I was on the one in Belfast and it was the same size (in fact as the Belfast one is now closed I suspect this is the exact same one) and although its not very big, it did give a great view of Belfast, as it was located right in the heart of the city beside city hall. This one is all the way down the end of the docks, with nothng but a great view of Harry's current building projects and some nice new office blocks.

Seriously though I doubt anyone would pay €95 for the vip with champers treatment, and to be honest if they do then they deserve what they get for their money. This might have worked if it was located more centrally - such as O'Connell street....but all the way down there I cant see it maing any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

The city view is not the issue. The view along the bay could be nice. Anybody get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Horrible view of the city, which is a real shame cause I think thats the view alot of people going to it would like to see.

The only redeeming feature of it is the view of the bay and Aviva Stadium but not what one really wants to see imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

I would pay to see the bay on a decent day. I think a lot of Dubliners will use this.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Is someone forcing you to go on the wheel and buy champagne Midlandsm?

Thankfully no, but Am I not allowed to have a view here on an internet discussion forum?

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Thankfully no, but Am I not allowed to have a view here on an internet discussion forum?

Of course, but you are slating something that you haven't even tried! You saw a photo of a view where you might as well be looking through a toilet roll and you are horrified. You are nit picking the champers price, something that obviously doesn't float your boat (nor mine)... However, it might be an idea for a guy asking a girl or guy to get married or vice verca, or a romantic treat. Nine Euro for a spin isn't exactly a rip off, the price of two pints. Have a go, see what it is really like, not what you think it's like.

I somehow doubt you will try it anyway. ;)

Advertisement