Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin eye.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Of course, but you are slating something that you haven't even tried! You saw a photo of a view where you might as well be looking through a toilet roll and you are horrified. You are nit picking the champers price, something that obviously doesn't float your boat (nor mine)... However, it might be an idea for a guy asking a girl or guy to get married or vice verca, or a romantic treat. Nine Euro for a spin isn't exactly a rip off, the price of two pints. Have a go, see what it is really like, not what you think it's like.

I somehow doubt you will try it anyway. ;)

...but you know nothing about me or my likes, so you're assumptions are flawed. How you call the €90 cost as nit picking is beyond me?
    When posting here, attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ...but you know nothing about me or my likes, so you're assumptions are flawed.

I say, did your monocle fall in to your brandy? :D
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    How you call the €90 cost as nit picking is beyond me?

Well, you picked the most expensive price you could find when researching the Dublin Eye and had a small on line tantrum!

Try it and get back to us, you may even like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OK folks, put the handbags down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John Rambo

with a handbag?

It's a manbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Id really like to see this take off.
    Trouble is that I just dont think we have a skyline for it.
    We're not that type of City IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Move along ........ nothin' to see here!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Any alternative locations that might work better? What might it look like in the middle of O'Connel Street? Phoenix park? Top of Grafton St?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

AsianDub wrote: »
    Id really like to see this take off.
    Trouble is that I just dont think we have a skyline for it.
    We're not that type of City IMO

if it took off and flew over town for a bit then i'd have a go!

i'd say outside the custom house would be a much better place. if only that feckin railway bridge wasn't there. if i had a spare billion i'd pay for the railway tunnel to be built under the liffey just to get that bridge out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

In work tonight, took some pics of Landsdowne, shame not to take some of this too.

IMG_4584.jpg

IMG_4584.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ian_m wrote: »
    Any alternative locations that might work better? What might it look like in the middle of O'Connel Street? Phoenix park? Top of Grafton St?

on the quays near the new Bridge and Conference centre would seem an obvious location - close enough to see the city centre, but in amongst modern buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Better location's a bit of a moot point as it's not public owned.
    Harry's hoop sits Harry's land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

humberklog wrote: »
    Better location's a bit of a moot point as it's not public owned.
    Harry's hoop sits Harry's land.

Sounds like another overpriced vanity project..maybe somebody,somewhere will realise that giving the odd bit of value for money mightnt be a bad idea in the longterm rather than going for a quick gouge.

I hope the City Council sets up a rival Dublin Eye with better views for half the entry fee..if i had the money i'd do it myself.:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is the empty Royal Dublin site big enough to take one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The Smithfield Chimney Tower is a bit higher than that I would say. Its only a gimmick from Crosbie

The Smithfield Chimney Tower is a bit higher than that I would say. Its only a gimmick from Crosbie

A moneymaking gimmick at that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Degsy wrote: »
    A moneymaking gimmick at that.

Indeed let's hope so.

Most things are gimmicks without the sum of their parts. The wheel, in itself, is a gimmick but the larger thinking by Harry is that it could be a good draw for people to come down to that end of town.

He needs people down that end of town. His market has caught some interest yet it is still a tough place to draw in a crowd. There is no natural foot fall for this enterprise to succeed so he has to create one. For each stall holder that hands him over rent know this and are paying that rent in a trust of faith that he will create a crowd. The big wheel is a big punt.

What annoys me (without having been on it) is the pricing system. It's a big enough mental leap in going all they way down there without having to think about the price of a couple of adults, a couple of kids and a couple of infants. Jayzuz...charge a fiver a head. Toddlers free (toddler being something that doesn't quite look a kid and not exactly a baby either, 3ish).

Fiver a head would draw the crowd which in turn would create footfall and result in revenue so the marketers can make a bit.

View? Doesn't look great from pics. But if it was a fiver a pop I wouldn't care about view. I'd just like being up in a big wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The place was deserted last night at about 8pm. Probably about 20 people on the wheel and about 7 sitting down on the benches eating over-expensive food from Eddie Rockets and drinking pricy cuppa's from the vending stalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sundaypapers

Michael O'Doherty's take on it:

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/michael-odoherty-the-wheel-truth-about-that-view-2281244.html
    Bad news for you, guys -- I live nearby, about 150ft up the tallest apartment block in Dublin, and have the same view for free that Wheel customers will have to stump up €9 for. And it's no great shakes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Bad news for you, guys -- I live nearby, about 150ft up the tallest apartment block in Dublin, and have the same view for free

More like a 30 odd year mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Trappers Son

Dancor wrote: »
    More like a 30 odd year mortgage.

Ahh yes, but ya cant have a wash in the wheel!

In all seriousness, that image on page one doesnt do it any justice! Its a miserable day with grey clounds with ongoing construction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Ahh yes, but ya cant have a wash in the wheel!

In all seriousness, that image on page one doesnt do it any justice! Its a miserable day with grey clounds with ongoing construction!

in all seriousness, thats what I swa. it wasnt a bright sunny day and there are cranes and construction there. That is the view. I didnt make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

gurramok wrote: »
    The place was deserted last night at about 8pm. Probably about 20 people on the wheel and about 7 sitting down on the benches eating over-expensive food from Eddie Rockets and drinking pricy cuppa's from the vending stalls.

There's an Eddie Rockets down there?? I thought the only refreshment that could be got that end of the city was in the green room on the bottom of Sheriff st, well apart from the 02 when it's open. Glad to hear it if it's true about rockets, at least it's a start.

In fairness it'd take more than a giant Ferris Wheel at 9 quid a pop to get me down that part of town..maybe Crosby thinks its still Celtic Tiger Wonderland down the docks where people will pay 90 quid to drink champagne amid views of a half-finished construction site.

I give this whole venture six months...if i was a judge i'd give him 6 months for sheer brass neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Degsy wrote: »

I give this whole venture six months...if i was a judge i'd give him 6 months for sheer brass neck.

He's opened a hotel there in the last month. At a time when theres a massive oversupply of hotels in Ireland.

I was over at that part of town this evening, its maybe a few metres higher than most of those buildings in the IFSC. When I worked in IFSC house I cant remember the view being that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I grew up on the top floor of the flats in ballymun, I had the best view of dublin there is, so there Michael O Doherty

As for people saying this wheel yoke has a sh*te view :pac::

He's opened a hotel there in the last month. At a time when theres a massive oversupply of hotels in Ireland.

ah but didn't you hear the ads for the hotel on the radio? it had all this cool jazz music in the background, kinda like what that chat line that's advertised on tv3 every night has. the music will make you go there, just like the music will make you think that the chick in her underwear is waiting to hear to talk about stuff.

ah but didn't you hear the ads for the hotel on the radio? it had all this cool jazz music in the background, kinda like what that chat line that's advertised on tv3 every night has. the music will make you go there, just like the music will make you think that the chick in her underwear is waiting to hear to talk about stuff.

Feck it i wanna stay in that hotel..and i wanna go up the wheel..and i wanna see Boyzone in the O2..and..and..yes..i wanna shell out 500 grand for a two bed apartment in Docklands with "amazing views over a happening city":)

now i do too!! i'm going to run over to it now and see if they've any free rooms. it's only across the river from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

dubtom wrote: »
    There's an Eddie Rockets down there?? I thought the only refreshment that could be got that end of the city was in the green room on the bottom of Sheriff st, well apart from the 02 when it's open. Glad to hear it if it's true about rockets, at least it's a start.

They're mobile units, your seating is outside weather depending!!

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    They're mobile units, your seating is outside weather depending!!

"Mobile units" is another way of saying "overpriced burger vans that you get at festivals and the stuff is precooked and horrible".

Harry can stick his "attraction" up his hole.

Advertisement