Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap bike servicing in dublin?

• 01-08-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

didn't know if i should post here or Dublin forum, feel free to move.

I just bought a bike which i'll be using to get to college for the next year. I don't know much about bikes and admit i bought it purely for aesthetic reasons [it's a 70s triumph shopper-looking bike] and looks in pretty good shape but i'm sure it could do with a decent once over, probably needs oiling, maybe new tyres, i'm not sure.

can anyone recommend somewhere in dublin i could take it for a check up? good price is important as im unemployed and broke!and somewhere that won't take advantage of my ignorance!

also, while i'm at it, can anyone recommend a lock? are those U-lock ones the best? It wasn't expensive [50euro] but i do love it and would hate for it to be stolen.
    Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

didn't know if i should post here or Dublin forum, feel free to move.

I just bought a bike which i'll be using to get to college for the next year. I don't know much about bikes and admit i bought it purely for aesthetic reasons [it's a 70s triumph shopper-looking bike] and looks in pretty good shape but i'm sure it could do with a decent once over, probably needs oiling, maybe new tyres, i'm not sure.

can anyone recommend somewhere in dublin i could take it for a check up? good price is important as im unemployed and broke!and somewhere that won't take advantage of my ignorance!

also, while i'm at it, can anyone recommend a lock? are those U-lock ones the best? It wasn't expensive [50euro] but i do love it and would hate for it to be stolen.
    Thanks for any advice!

www.rothar.ie (based in Dublin) for help and advice.

Two locks of different types is common practice. So a Kryptonite U-Lock and a padlock and chain would be a good, if heavy, option.

DFD.

PS. Post a picture of your bike, sounds nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

agreed, Rothar is the place for you - www.tinyurl.com/rotharmap - there's a map so you can find it. They sell locks and chains too, they do a pretty decent chain for €35, I won't lie it is heavy but its going to make sure nobody steals your bike. If you buy a crappy cheap light lock from lidl or one of those eurostore places, be aware that its possible to cut through them in under a minute with a junior hacksaw. I know because I've done it when a friend lost their keys. €1.50 hacksaw from tesco, under a minute, spiral lock thing gone. Get a decent one, you won't regret it and you only need to buy it once for the rest of your life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where are you in Dublin? Which college. The college bike racks tend to be theft magnet. You want to make sure there no quick release on saddles, wheels then run one lock through the frame and back wheel, to something solid and the other locking to the front wheel.

Lots of reviews of locks online.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I have got a bike now but it was left outdoors for a period of time and the chain and some other smaller parts have rusted slightly. I suppose it would be best to get a new chain but I don't know how much work would be involved on the bike itself. Is there somewhere I can bring it to get it fixed up or is it worth it?

Its worth starting your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses. You could be talkign about a €20 bike or a €2000 bike how would be know. The assumption has to be its not worth much or you wouldn't have left it out in the rain. No point buying new bike if you are going to do the same thing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I didn't think there was any point in starting a new thread for this one query when it fits in with the question asked in this thread about bike servicing. I've only just got the bike, it wasn't mine to be left out in the rain. I have no idea how much it's worth. It's a mountainbike about 4 years old, that's all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

BostonB wrote: »
    Where are you in Dublin? Which college. The college bike racks tend to be theft magnet. You want to make sure there no quick release on saddles, wheels then run one lock through the frame and back wheel, to something solid and the other locking to the front wheel.

Lots of reviews of locks online.

thanks! i've just moved to rathfarnham and will be at UCD. that sucks the bike racks aren't the safest. thanks for the advice.

I leave a heavy lock at work, and carry a lighter one for pitstops on the way. I dunno if you can do that in UCD. Might be a question for the UCD forums. Don't make your bike too nice looking, or it will attract attention.

I see the same bikes parked/locked on the street in town, every day for years. They tend to be well used, grubby bikes, but well locked. Some are good bikes disguised to look like crud. That I've seen them for years must mean that approach works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

thanks! i've just moved to rathfarnham and will be at UCD. that sucks the bike racks aren't the safest. thanks for the advice.

Fingers crossed I'll be in the same boat :)

My bike is a very plain junker hybrid restoration. I should be using a U but right now the key is MIA. Been in and out of UCD a few times. I know that there are great county council style stands by the Computing and CS and Informatics buildings(where I wanna be). The stands by the pond arent so great though. IIRC. All you need to do is make you're bike more hassle to nick than its worth/others around it, which isnt hard considering the locking techniques of so many students. U around the frame, chain/cable through the wheels and head to class.

As the others have said, Rothar. Or closer Joe Daly cycles or maybe the chap in the centre of Rathgar(seems a sound enough fella).

Advertisement