Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice re old cat with flu/ dying ?

Options
  • 01-08-2010 1:30am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I brought my girl to the vet on thurs as she was sleeping not herself at all and only lifted her head a little when I talked to her. She is twelve yrs and has been well and healthy with cat flu all her life. I am now feeling her time is coming near. The vet examined her, high temp, very sick, he gave her two injections and a course of antibiotics.

Brought her home and she improved dramatically, and I thought YES shes back.. but her eyes were not right.. yesterday and today, she is sneezing, tears flowing (flu) and shes sleeping again. Rang vet he said leave her and see and continue antibiotics!

I'm just wondering has anyone in a similar situation found anything helpful to ease the misery of the symptoms?

I really don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to let her go too easy either
    heres a pic of her a couple yrs ago
    33969.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I suppose keeping her warm and hydrated, if she's not drinking water talk to the vet because she might need to be put on a drip. Keep the antibiotics going and keep her comfortable. If she's been on the same antibiotics a good few times over the years they might not work as well as they used to so talk to the vet about an alternative antibiotic if that's the case.

Fingers crossed for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

She's a real beauty! I would agree with the last poster - keep giving the antibiotics, ensure she is hydrated (cats get kidney problems easily at her age) and lots of tlc.
    My cat was over 15 when I lost him and he had been so near to being put to sleep on many occasions that I lost count. He had renal failure and I ended up giving him intravenous fluids at home myself every day.
    Vats hate to have anything wrong with them and they dont suffer in silence. But they are also very resilient and can bounce back. Stay positive and you never know ... she could be over her current bout of flu in a few days.
    I'll be thinking of you and keep us posted. X

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Hope she gets over this, but you have to let her go when it is her time. Be brave and strong.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I had to let her go, she was very sick and the antibiotics weren't working, I couldn't let her suffer on.
    I hope I made the right decision, the vet was in agreement.

I am devastated, I miss her so much, her hairs are everywhere, memories of her are everywhere, she was
    my angel, I can't believe she's gone and I'll never see her again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

artieanna wrote: »
    I had to let her go, she was very sick and the antibiotics weren't working, I couldn't let her suffer on.
    I hope I made the right decision, the vet was in agreement.

I am devastated, I miss her so much, her hairs are everywhere, memories of her are everywhere, she was
    my angel, I can't believe she's gone and I'll never see her again.

I am soo sorry too hear that,but you did the right thing in not letting her suffer i hope you'll b ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Heartfelt condolences. She was a beautiful cat and was so lucky to have such a long and happy life with you, you gave her such great care. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Really sorry to hear your news but it was the right decision and in time you will appreciate that more. She had a great life and was loved much, so many cats don't get such a chance.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Rochester wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear your news but it was the right decision and in time you will appreciate that more. She had a great life and was loved much, so many cats don't get such a chance.

I agree so many cats in the world that are not treated well, she was a lucky girl. It was like the world ended for me sunday but its a little easier today. She will always be remembered and loved by me..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm so sorry for your loss, she was a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

That's really sad, but its so nice to read of a cat that was so treasured - I'm sure she treasured you too! :)
    You did the right thing, and I hope you feel better about it soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement