Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st bike. Go 2nd hand?

• 01-08-2010 6:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

Right, any recommendations? Nothing bank breaking please and if anyone has something second hand then PM me!

I want to get my 1st bike this week or next week, preferably 2nd hand and then I'll buy a good new one when I get in to it a bit. I intend on using it initially to get my fitness back up and hopefully start cycling to work and leaving the car at home. Now, work is a 20 mile journey but I know it's doable! :D

So, I'm looking for something simple to start out with and also comfortable for cycling such a distance each day.

I aim to build my fitness then slowly introduce the cycle to work. One day a week, 2 days a week, 3 days a week and so on.

What sort of size frame/wheel size/brands/type of bike etc etc should I be looking for? I'm 6ft1 and my inside leg measurement is 36", if that helps anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Budget?

DFD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Budget?

DFD.
    Sorry left that out. Not a massive amount TBH which is why I'm looking for something second hand. I'd say max €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

-Chris- wrote: »
    Would it be a good starter bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I wouldn't want to do 20k to work on that.

• Advertisement

I'd put a set of "road" tyres on it to decrease rolling resistance, but I think that'd be grand for commuting (although if it's 20 miles each way, that's a long commute in anyone's book).

Bonito says he's going to cycle recreationally to build up fitness before he starts commuting.

Because of that I'd suggest a mountain bike because it can be used for commuting (although a little heavy), it's flexible if he or his mates want to take the bike off road for a bit of fun, it's got an upright cycling position which may be better for starting off commuting (easier on your back to start with), it's got good strong brakes for the inevitable driver errors and it's going to be comfortable over the longer distance.

My €0.02

I've spent 2yrs mucking around with old bikes, and tbh I wish I'd just gone and bought something decent at the start. I'd do 14k each way on a MTB with slicks, but I should really have got a cheap road bike or hybrid at the start. I spent a bit of money on it, saddle, new gear shifters, slick tyres, rack, mudguards, lights, clothes, lock and I'd have got it all cheaper, if I'd bought it all at the same time, with a new bike. At the end of that I'm still left with an old bike. That said I'm kinda fond of it as I've had it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

Bonito wrote: »
    Sorry left that out. Not a massive amount TBH which is why I'm looking for something second hand. I'd say max €400.
    Hi bonito have specialized sirrus elite 2010 model if you want to have look im based in harolds cross

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=47260&eid=4356&menuItemId=9339

http://www.adverts.ie/218757/bikes/specialized-sirrus-elite-10-56m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

http://www.adverts.ie/259824/bikes/trek-71-fx/

Something like that would be ideal for commuting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

with those distances op, you should only consider a road bike or hybrid, nothing with suspension or fat tyres. although for me, id only consider a raod bike. But go second have and put aside 50 quid for a service.

few quick graps from adverts below.

http://www.adverts.ie/261472/bikes/giant-ocr4-open-to-offers/

http://www.adverts.ie/210534/bikes/price-drop-carrera-vanquish-large-road-bike/

Thee sirrus above would also so do.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. What about these? Or these?(I'd only be buying from there and probably having it set up correctly by my local bike shop depending on whether Halfords can do it right or not.)
    I'd put a set of "road" tyres on it to decrease rolling resistance, but I think that'd be grand for commuting (although if it's 20 miles each way, that's a long commute in anyone's book).
    Yep, it's 20 miles each way. Wait, it might be more! It's 20 miles by motorway. Stupid me! Edit: It's 22km each way by motorway and 20km each way by roads I can cycle on. So, 12 miles each way cycling? 24 miles a day. Seems achievable and doable for me!
    Bonito says he's going to cycle recreationally to build up fitness before he starts commuting.

Because of that I'd suggest a mountain bike because it can be used for commuting (although a little heavy), it's flexible if he or his mates want to take the bike off road for a bit of fun, it's got an upright cycling position which may be better for starting off commuting (easier on your back to start with), it's got good strong brakes for the inevitable driver errors and it's going to be comfortable over the longer distance.

My €0.02
    Nah there wont be any off roading plus I loathe mountain bikes. I think hybrid is best option for me so I can get a mix of comfort and race feels?
    zindicato wrote: »
    That ad says sold/withdrawn? Plus, I don't have €500 to spend on a bike....
    _sheep wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/259824/bikes/trek-71-fx/

Something like that would be ideal for commuting?
    Would it? I wouldn't have a clue tbh.
    funkyjebus wrote: »
    But go second have and put aside 50 quid for a service.
    What does a bike service consist of and how often should they be done?
    The vanquish is too expensive and the Giant isn't big enough. I'll need a 20/21 inch frame.

BostonB wrote: »
    What about this?

Does Halfords have a compare system? All this shimano 500 gear quick shift super duper system makes no sense to me. Surely one doesn't need so many gears? :pac:

With so many gears on some road/race bikes (Not sure how many) would I be right in saying that they only adjust the resistance ever so slightly to a fine perfection on some bikes?

Someone said on these forums that, the TDF is impossible to get, its out of stock everywhere. I have no idea I've not asked. No one seems to like the carerra bikes on these forums but on forums, like cyclechat, they have an ok reputation. Though the shops can be rubbish for fixing things.

The gears usually have a similar high~low range. More gears in between just give you more choice in between. Especially for hills, or long inclines. Popping around to the local shop you wouldn't need them. Different story on a longer cycle.

Can you do the cycle to work scheme at work?

Someone said on these forums that, the TDF is impossible to get, its out of stock everywhere. I have no idea I've not asked. No one seems to like the carerra bikes on these forums but on forums, like cyclechat, they have an ok reputation. Though the shops can be rubbish for fixing things.

The gears usually have a similar high~low range. More gears in between just give you more choice in between. Especially for hills, or long inclines. Popping around to the local shop you wouldn't need them. Different story on a longer cycle.

Yeah just checked about 10 stores and none have it in stock. :(

I've seen posters of that in the local bike shop but none in work. What is it? I'm not too sure if I can do it. There's only a couple of us who have to commute to work. Everyone else lives local so they walk, hop on the bus for 80 cent or drive down the road.

Where would be a good place to buy gear? I have a helmet sorted but stuff like the padded shorts etc. I'll probably get a light kit in halfords and a simple light wrap around high vis in the local hardware store.

Where are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

hi bonito the selling price of the sirrus if you look at it is actually cheap in the end if you get a 400 euro carrera bike then you add the costs of the lights the mudguards the pumps the locks and the chains you will come up near the 500 mark which the sirrus already comes with youll also get an extra armadillo tyre worth 25 quid not fitted yet for the winter months.............compared to a carrera the sirrus is lighter plus has carbon forks which helps with dampening.

I had withdrawn the bike after posting that ad as i had enjoyed using it for commuting... but now with the baby i need to get a car so thats why im flogging it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What is it? I'm not too sure if I can do it. There's only a couple of us who have to commute to work.
    Bike to Work scheme allows you to buy a bike and safety equipment and pay for it with pre-tax income. It reduces Employer PRSI too. Not all companies partake (it's optional) and some, frustratingly, only work with a single shop.

Hmmm. What about these? Or these?(I'd only be buying from there and probably having it set up correctly by my local bike shop depending on whether Halfords can do it right or not.)

I'd let them do all the set up and then have a mate who knows about bikes check it over. I'd think it'd be utterly unacceptable for you to buy a bike in Halfords and then have to pay another bike shop to check their work.

Yep, it's 20 miles each way. Wait, it might be more! It's 20 miles by motorway. Stupid me! Edit: It's 22km each way by motorway and 20km each way by roads I can cycle on. So, 12 miles each way cycling? 24 miles a day. Seems achievable and doable for me!

That's manageable all right. Maybe do the route a few times at the weekend first so you can find the pace that gets you there quickest without becoming a sweaty mess. :D

Nah there wont be any off roading plus I loathe mountain bikes. I think hybrid is best option for me so I can get a mix of comfort and race feels?

Cool enough, I just thought I'd suggest. In that case I'd go for a hybrid over a road bike because it's more forgiving and easier to control.

What does a bike service consist of and how often should they be done?

It depends on what needs doing, but really you're just lubing everything, checking if the wheels run true, checking tyre condition etc.

It's very like car servicing, you can drop your car in for a lube service in Advance Pitstop (aka a bike service in Halfords), you can spend 3 times that doing a major service with an indy mechanic (bottom bracket being replaced by local bike shop) or you can learn to do it yourself.

Bikes are so basic you should definitely learn to do it yourself - you're far more likely to be adjusting individual things and replacing specific parts as you go along rather than requiring one big "service" once a year.

This is a very handy resource: http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.html

Does Halfords have a compare system? All this shimano 500 gear quick shift super duper system makes no sense to me. Surely one doesn't need so many gears? :pac:

Really, in terms of this it's simpler than it looks. The gears/brakes/shifters tend to be grouped fairly hierarchically - 105 is better than Tiagra, which is better than Sora, which is better than 2200.
    Just look them up on the manufacturer's website to see where they sit in the range.

Also look out for the old manufacturer trick of putting a higher spec rear derailleur than the rest of the bike - i.e. everything on the bike is Sora or worse, but the rear mech is Tiagra and all the salesman and all the marketing blurb tells you it's a Tiagra equipped bike.

With so many gears on some road/race bikes (Not sure how many) would I be right in saying that they only adjust the resistance ever so slightly to a fine perfection on some bikes?

In terms of number of gears, again I'd draw the car analogy - a car with a 7-speed auto 'box will be smoother in operation than a car with a 4-speed auto 'box.
    Adding additional ratios won't generally make the car any faster (maybe a slightly longer cruising gear to aid fuel economy), but the real effect is to put the ratios closer together so that it's easier to find the "perfect" gear.

Really gears are just used to match the optimum speed of the engine/legs to the road wheels.

I've seen posters of that in the local bike shop but none in work. What is it? I'm not too sure if I can do it. There's only a couple of us who have to commute to work. Everyone else lives local so they walk, hop on the bus for 80 cent or drive down the road.

Defo check it out, there are some detailed threads elsewhere in this forum that explain it.

Where would be a good place to buy gear? I have a helmet sorted but stuff like the padded shorts etc. I'll probably get a light kit in halfords and a simple light wrap around high vis in the local hardware store.

I would tend to buy a lot of that stuff online, depending on what it is.
    Lights, lock, other parts etc. - buy online.
    Clothing, shorts - buy in local bike shop or sports store (so you can actually try it on)
    Helmet - defo buy in reputable, local bike shop. Fit is fairly critical with a helmet and you want someone who knows what they're talking about to help you find the right one.

Where are you?
    North County Dublin.
    zindicato wrote: »
    hi bonito the selling price of the sirrus if you look at it is actually cheap in the end if you get a 400 euro carrera bike then you add the costs of the lights the mudguards the pumps the locks and the chains you will come up near the 500 mark which the sirrus already comes with youll also get an extra armadillo tyre worth 25 quid not fitted yet for the winter months.............compared to a carrera the sirrus is lighter plus has carbon forks which helps with dampening.

I had withdrawn the bike after posting that ad as i had enjoyed using it for commuting... but now with the baby i need to get a car so thats why im flogging it again.
    If I become interested I'll leave a message on the ad for you, thanks. :)
    daymobrew wrote: »
    Bike to Work scheme allows you to buy a bike and safety equipment and pay for it with pre-tax income. It reduces Employer PRSI too. Not all companies partake (it's optional) and some, frustratingly, only work with a single shop.
    So if I buy a €500 bike I pay €250 up front and €24 comes from my pay packet/tax allowance each month to spread the cost? I know my local shop is registered for it but I don't think our company is, unfortunately.
    I'd let them do all the set up and then have a mate who knows about bikes check it over. I'd think it'd be utterly unacceptable for you to buy a bike in Halfords and then have to pay another bike shop to check their work.
    Two of my old teachers are mad in to their bikes, one of them being Pat Halpin who's name I've seen mentioned around here numerous times (is he signed up to boards?), so I'll have one of them check everything over for me. :)
    That's manageable all right. Maybe do the route a few times at the weekend first so you can find the pace that gets you there quickest without becoming a sweaty mess. :D
    That's the plan. Then when I get a good pace and time sorted I'll slowly introduce it. 1 day a week cycle, 2 days a week and so on. As I increase the cycle to work I can cut down on the regain-fitness-cycling and swap it for spare time enjoyable cycling.
    Cool enough, I just thought I'd suggest. In that case I'd go for a hybrid over a road bike because it's more forgiving and easier to control.
    I found these 2 online last night. What are peoples opinions?

Giant OCR 4.
    Giant SCR 4.
    It depends on what needs doing, but really you're just lubing everything, checking if the wheels run true, checking tyre condition etc.

It's very like car servicing, you can drop your car in for a lube service in Advance Pitstop (aka a bike service in Halfords), you can spend 3 times that doing a major service with an indy mechanic (bottom bracket being replaced by local bike shop) or you can learn to do it yourself.

Bikes are so basic you should definitely learn to do it yourself - you're far more likely to be adjusting individual things and replacing specific parts as you go along rather than requiring one big "service" once a year.

This is a very handy resource: http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.html
    Cheers for that. :)
    Really, in terms of this it's simpler than it looks. The gears/brakes/shifters tend to be grouped fairly hierarchically - 105 is better than Tiagra, which is better than Sora, which is better than 2200.
    Just look them up on the manufacturer's website to see where they sit in the range.
    So 105 would be 1st preference followed by Tiagra, Sora, 2200. Would it be best having a mix & match of parts or all from the one? E.g. Some 105 parts and some Tiagra parts or all 105 or all Tiagra?
    Also look out for the old manufacturer trick of putting a higher spec rear derailleur than the rest of the bike - i.e. everything on the bike is Sora or worse, but the rear mech is Tiagra and all the salesman and all the marketing blurb tells you it's a Tiagra equipped bike.
    I'll keep an eye on that alright. :)
    I would tend to buy a lot of that stuff online, depending on what it is.
    Lights, lock, other parts etc. - buy online.
    I think I'll buy a length of the chunkiest, densest, strongest chain I can and a like wise lock and leave it at work then I'll get a very good one that I can carry around for if I make stops and want to lock it up for a few minutes.
    Helmet - defo buy in reputable, local bike shop. Fit is fairly critical with a helmet and you want someone who knows what they're talking about to help you find the right one.
    I'll get the Helmet in the local store so. He's quite good.

• Advertisement

So 105 would be 1st preference followed by Tiagra, Sora, 2200. Would it be best having a mix & match of parts or all from the one? E.g. Some 105 parts and some Tiagra parts or all 105 or all Tiagra?

The budget will dictate the gear, check out reviews online for specific bikes - probably not super important for everything to be matching, but better gear is lighter and more reliable.

I think I'll buy a length of the chunkiest, densest, strongest chain I can and a like wise lock and leave it at work then I'll get a very good one that I can carry around for if I make stops and want to lock it up for a few minutes.

Get a U lock and a chain/cable lock for best security. Look on YouTube for info on how to best lock your bike. You shouldn't have to carry around a mega-chain.

Choices.

Felt QX65.

Giant OCR 4.

Carrera Virtuoso.

Anymore? It doesn't have to be brand new either!

Choices.

Felt QX65.

Giant OCR 4.

Carrera Virtuoso.

Anymore? It doesn't have to be brand new either!
    Quick question. What if I could bump up my kitty by a couple hundred. What would you suggest to me as a first time bike?

TBH I find myself leaning towards the race bikes. If I bought a hybrid I'd probably just end up swapping bars anyway.

For 20k on the road, (each way?) in all weathers, will you be carrying anything? Or leaving stuff at work?

For 20k on the road, (each way?) in all weathers, will you be carrying anything? Or leaving stuff at work?
    Only thing I'd be carrying would be a small bag with a change of clothes. About half the size of a school bag.

If it were me I'd get a rack and pannier if you are going 20k and carrying anything. And a road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

If you buy a hybrid or a mountain bike or any bike with flat bars, the more you cycle the more you'll regret it. Get the best quality road bike you can afford from the outset, but be sure it's laid out for comfort rather than speed. On a 20 mile commute every day, last thing you want is flat out racing geometry and spec.

If it were me I'd get a rack and pannier if you are going 20k and carrying anything. And a road bike.
    jeffwode wrote: »
    If you buy a hybrid or a mountain bike or any bike with flat bars, the more you cycle the more you'll regret it. Get the best quality road bike you can afford from the outset, but be sure it's laid out for comfort rather than speed. On a 20 mile commute every day, last thing you want is flat out racing geometry and spec.

Now the dilemma of which bike to get. :p

Set your budget then you'll find theres a bunch of bikes at that price of similar spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Now the dilemma of which bike to get. :p
    whats your budget op, are you using the btw scheme?

Set your budget then you'll find theres a bunch of bikes at that price of similar spec.
    funkyjebus wrote: »
    whats your budget op, are you using the btw scheme?
    I'm going to bring it up to €600 but that's to include a good helmet and 2 pairs of padded shorts.

Advertisement