Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Emmisary

Options
  • 01-08-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Just watching DS9 on CBS and am wondering did the writers know Sisko's outsome from the beginning:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the disappearing into the wormhole? Probably not, but a lot of it I imagine was known as ideas in the writers heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

Don't think so. In the episode where Sisko marries Kassidy Yates his Prophet Mother tells him not to do it as it will lead to great sadness, or something like that, and the writers said then they did not what that meant. So if they didn't know that late in the series then I doubted they knew at the beginning.

I suspect like most things they had a rough idea of where the wormhole story may go and but just left it to see what naturally would happen. Bit like on Voyager where the idea was there would be tension between Maquis and Starfleet but that idea was quickly dropped.

CSaber wrote: »
    I suspect like most things they had a rough idea of where the wormhole story may go and but just left it to see what naturally would happen. Bit like on Voyager where the idea was there would be tension between Maquis and Starfleet but that idea was quickly dropped.

like every other factor from series one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CSaber wrote: »
    Don't think so. In the episode where Sisko marries Kassidy Yates his Prophet Mother tells him not to do it as it will lead to great sadness, or something like that

Was the great sadness not being that Ben had to be apart from Cassidy/Jake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

EnterNow wrote: »
    Was the great sadness not being that Ben had to be apart from Cassidy/Jake?

That is what they ended up deciding. Can't find my copy of the DS9 Companion at the moment which explains it better.

Memory Alpha says tha originally the sorrow warning refers to him building a house on Bajor but they felt that wasn't strong enough so decided to make it his marriage.

Like most things they wanted to put something ominous in but wasn't sure how it would pay off.

Originally in WYLB, Sisko said he was gone forever, but then the producers realised he was abandoning his son and pregnant wife, so changed it so he said he would come back some day.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/%27Til_Death_Do_Us_Part_%28episode%29

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Getting back to this thread.

last nights ep (Shadowplay... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowplay_%28Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine%29) was the one where Dax and Odo find the village of holograms, and one living person.

The living chap (can't remember his name) mentioned about living in peace and quiet some place until the Dominion took over.......

Now why did a security officer and a science officer not ask a few more questions about the nature of the dominion instead of blithely going about repairing a dirty great big holo emitter??

gatecrash wrote: »
    Now why did a security officer and a science officer not ask a few more questions about the nature of the dominion instead of blithely going about repairing a dirty great big holo emitter??

why ask questions when you can play "Macgyver" and fix anything instead?

I can't remember the time frame of the episode, as in whether they already knew about the existence of the Dominion, or whether they maybe assumed since there was no occupying force anymore, they were long gone. I'd bet on the latter one really.

it's mid season 2.. the Dominion are still only dark shadows on the horizon.

Surely they could've asked fr some details.... The chap left his home planet 30 yrs previously. Even if the dominion had collapsed the individual facyions that were once constituent parts would (possibly) be at each others throats...... 30 years isn't a long time for an empire to collapse and peace to break out again

it's mid season 2.. the Dominion are still only dark shadows on the horizon.

Surely they could've asked fr some details.... The chap left his home planet 30 yrs previously. Even if the dominion had collapsed the individual facyions that were once constituent parts would (possibly) be at each others throats...... 30 years isn't a long time for an empire to collapse and peace to break out again

Maybe they did ask , and it wasn't shown. Maybe the writers thought they didn't have to turn every episode into a Dominion-esque one. They were slowly building up the Dominion with snippets of inof here & there - I thought it worked very well.

• Advertisement

i just think they would've been better served by having Dax or Odo at least look interested.

Instead it was straight into (and i'm blatantly robbing Cookie Monster here!!) McGyver mode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Maybe a wizard made Dax and Odo not care about the Dominion. They were probably more worried about Anbus or the Ori invading this universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Any why must ben-ja-min pro-noun-ce e-ve-ry syll-a-ble in-div-id-u-all-y, it's fsckin annoying. Worst thing about DS9 is listening to his inability to have flowing conversation.

Any why must ben-ja-min pro-noun-ce e-ve-ry syll-a-ble in-div-id-u-all-y, it's fsckin annoying. Worst thing about DS9 is listening to his inability to have flowing conversation.

:D

its good sometimes when he gets pissy but annoying otherwise

I'd actually rate him as one of the best actors in Trek. Very powerful screen presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

reminds me of a stage actor trying to project his voice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

His acting was a bit hammy.

I would love to know what the writers' original intentions were for many of the not-very-well-resolved storylines in Trek ...Like what ever happened/meant to happen to the Suliban and the Xindi. Or what was meant to come of Species 8472 when Voyager discovered they were impersonating starfleet officers.

I've read in places about some of the original intentions; like there was meant to be some sort of reason why Suliban never appeared in any of the later trek series. Or that Odo was meant to be king of his people. Or that there was meant to be some sort of double episode around the whole Species 8472 spying thing. It's too bad the details aren't there though.

Advertisement