Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Shoes - MTB

• 01-08-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

Right,can I ask a quick question,bit of a noob.
    Did a quick search regarding shoes and stuff but doesnt really answer my question.

What benefits does wearing bike shoes actually give you?
    (This can be directed to both road and mtb users)

How do you decide what to go for?
    Are they really worth the added expense?

Be nice :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hello there

I am no expert by any means but I believe that mountain bike shoes have stronger soles for if you need to touch of rocks, slide around bends etc.
    They are also tighter than normal trainers to give your feet better feeling on the pedals. Plus they are waterproof and most don't have laces but rather velcro or straps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume you mean clip in shoes?

http://www.bicycleapparel.com/shoes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Right,can I ask a quick question,bit of a noob.
    Did a quick search regarding shoes and stuff but doesnt really answer my question.

What benefits does wearing bike shoes actually give you?
    (This can be directed to both road and mtb users)

How do you decide what to go for?
    Are they really worth the added expense?

Be nice :p

MTB pedals would typically be either SPDs or egg beaters. There are a few other types but those are the main ones. Clipless pedals in general are good as you can use most of the pedal stroke, instead of just pushing down on the pedal. For MTB I find them particularly useful as I stay locked onto the bike when going over rough stuff, or jumps. Having said that, downhillers tend to use flats and flats are better for learning bike control in general I think as you have to get the technique correct with them.

It's up to you really, give them both a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

flats all the way, with a pair of 5 10's on!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32897

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They look cool, but are they waterproof? I use a pair of northface trail shoes because they are gortex thus water proof, and grippy with studded mtb pedals. I got fed up with shoe covers. Though shoe covers do keep the dirt off on a wet day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

BostonB wrote: »
    They look cool, but are they waterproof? I use a pair of northface trail shoes because they are gortex thus water proof, and grippy with studded mtb pedals. I got fed up with shoe covers. Though shoe covers do keep the dirt off on a wet day.

They are actually quiet thick shoes, i always wear shorts so usually get a bit wet anyway but the feet are actually quiet dry when i think about it, so yeah they are pretty sweet, like most of the 5 10 range!

Advertisement