Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing plastered walls for paint??

• 01-08-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone advise me on how to prepare the plastered walls for painting and what to put on as a first coat.

Some of the walls have plaster lumps and small bits of roughness on them. Should i use a paint scraper or sandpaper or wire wool etc to smooth them off before painting?

Also, what is the best paint to put on as a base and can it just be rollered straight onto the walls. Is one or 2 coats enough.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Is it ths inside or outside?

Either way the best and most common basecoat is just paint - however the first coat is mixed with water so that it soaks into the wall and keys the subsequent coats to the wall. If you out on the first coat too thick what will happen is that the paint wont soak to the wall and you may have problems with peeling or blistering

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

changes wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone advise me on how to prepare the plastered walls for painting and what to put on as a first coat.

Some of the walls have plaster lumps and small bits of roughness on them. Should i use a paint scraper or sandpaper or wire wool etc to smooth them off before painting?

Also, what is the best paint to put on as a base and can it just be rollered straight onto the walls. Is one or 2 coats enough.

Thanks
    sandpaper for lumps,you can add some pva to the first coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I was told by a painter to use 70% paint to 30% pva however when i bought the pva there was instructions on the side for such a thing and i think it advised 80/20 but who cares for such a small difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Thanks guys,

its internal painting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

im a painter and you can put the paint on straight out of the can even for the first coat.do not sand the wall until you have a coat of paint on it first or you will destroy the wall with scratches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

im a painter and you can put the paint on straight out of the can even for the first coat..

You should read the back of a paint can sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

So would i be wise to put on a watered down coat first (it should fly on being watered down a bit which is always a help). After the first coat drys, sand of the lumps and bumps (to not damage plaster) then put on an unwatered coat and maybe even a 3rd coat

Its a big house, would 2 coats be enough considering that its a white base and i'll be putting on a colour over that?

Joey & mp22 mentioned PVA what or how would i apply that.

Thanks all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

PVA would be added to the first watered down coat before painting, mixed in well and your cooking with gas!!!

Advertisement