Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! All sockets circuits gone!

• 01-08-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

So the electricity was working fine at 7 this morning....then I went to get some milk for my tea and the fridge light wasn't working. (The electric kettle had boiled only minutes before) So I came back an hour later and the kettle wouldn't work, so I checked around and NO sockets at all are working anywhere in the house.

Up on a ladder and look at the fuse box, which I'd never looked at before. It's an old-fashioned one. Switched the electricity off because I know nothing about this stuff, unscrewed each of the three fuses (each contains a ceramic fuse) - everything looks normal (well, how would I know, but no scorch marks or anything). The only thing this has accomplished is to stop the house alarm working.

And my freezer is defrosting.....and a lot of the sockets are hidden behind washing machine, fridge, etc. A good esthetic, but can't look at them now! :rolleyes:

So - any ideas? Do I need an electrician? And as it's a Bank Hol Sunday, how much are they likely to charge?

I'm in D8.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

you dont need to remove the fuses look in the viewing window and make sure each fuse still has a small round shiny center.the other thing to do is to unplug everything, if you find a blown fuse replace it, plug things in one at a time.Start with a radio,turn it on loud,then plug things back in.Leave the kettle till last.
    If you cant see if a fuse is blown replace all three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not very helpful, but you sound as though you had the sockets put in (hidden from sight :D) and you have a house alarm, how come you still have an old fashioned fuse board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Electrician looked at it and said it was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Electrician looked at it and said it was grand.
    What was the cause...an internal fault or a repeat of yesterday's power outtage?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67216994

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

are the lights working or is it just sockets?

• Advertisement
Advertisement