Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Credibility?

• 01-08-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

I'm sitting listening to Rachel English on RTE quizzing people on Government and Semi State sector salaries. How the f*** can an RTE person on a grossly excessive salary have the gall to question someone else on theirs? If the interviewer were a presenter on a station where he/she is earning €30-€40k I'd say fair enough or even on Newstalk or TodayFM where they're not getting state/taxpayers funding then they'd have a more credible argument but an RTE person? Kettle calling the pot black???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So you sent that text eh? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Je ne regrette rien as Marian would say.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd love to have heard her read that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

So nobody apart from the local radio stations should ask that question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

mike65 wrote: »
    So you sent that text eh? ;)
    Well... Not quite. I thought it out loud before posting it here and the person across the breakfast table texted it:). Strangely or coincidentally, it was read out exactly as I finished posting it here!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The first thing I thought of while listening to RTE's big scoop in exposing all the TDs that missed dail committee meetings during summer recess was the annual exodus of Kenny, Tubridy, Finucane..etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Yeah, Mary O'Rourke chucked that back at one of the Morning Ireland people one morning a few weeks ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm sitting listening to Rachel English on RTE quizzing people on Government and Semi State sector salaries. How the f*** can an RTE person on a grossly excessive salary have the gall to question someone else on theirs? If the interviewer were a presenter on a station where he/she is earning €30-€40k I'd say fair enough or even on Newstalk or TodayFM where they're not getting state/taxpayers funding then they'd have a more credible argument but an RTE person? Kettle calling the pot black???:confused:

Absolutely right!

You see it's like this.

RTE think that their listeners feel that they are on 'their side'.

The instance quoted is a perfect example.

Maid Marian earning megabucks -for what?

The Birdman from Washington is in next week.

You will always have the ollogoners and limp handed cretins saying "fair play to her" but you and I are being ripped off by these people.

Lenny is dead right, pity there aren't more discerning listeners like him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The only way that RTE could justify the high wages would be if they were competing with the private stations on an equal footing (i.e. not being propped up by the license payer), and were earning profits for the taxpayers... If this were the case, Kenny, Finucane etc etc could just be considered large overheads of a profit making company...

Marian is pulling 600k from the communal pot of money... this money which could be spent on health, education etc etc... people are losing out because she takes sooooo much of the pie.. So I dont think it's good enough for her to justify her wages by saying that that is what her agent negotiated for her... She is paid too much, however it came about, and should be held accountable for her greed...

As I alluded to it above, if she was working for a private company and the money was coming out of some investors pocket (like Denis O'Brien), then I would not have any problem with it.. But the money she is getting from the state could be better used for other things.

/Rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The only way that RTE could justify the high wages would be if they were competing with the private stations on an equal footing (i.e. not being propped up by the license payer), and were earning profits for the taxpayers... If this were the case, Kenny, Finucane etc etc could just be considered large overheads of a profit making company...

Marian is pulling 600k from the communal pot of money... this money which could be spent on health, education etc etc... people are losing out because she takes sooooo much of the pie.. So I dont think it's good enough for her to justify her wages by saying that that is what her agent negotiated for her... She is paid too much, however it came about, and should be held accountable for her greed...

As I alluded to it above, if she was working for a private company and the money was coming out of some investors pocket (like Denis O'Brien), then I would not have any problem with it.. But the money she is getting from the state could be better used for other things.

/Rant

I'd have to disagree slightly on that.

The people I would hold responsible are RTE management.

These are the people who in their 'wisdom' think that maid Marian will jump ship and work for another media company for the same wages and conditions.

I would estimate that about 5 people in Ireland would see that scenario as a realistic one, and those five people coincidentally seem to all work for RTE management.

Goan is on the way out, no doubt with a pension the thick end of €200k pa.

What's needed is an outsider to come in and shake the place up, and bring the salaries and contracts to a realistic level.

Interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I can't understand why they seem to have such a limited amount of presenters on their books. The other day I saw Miriam O'C on some square auld show at nite and the next morning the woman was back on the radio again and then back on the TV the following nite and so on and so. Surely they could rustle up some new blood - I mean to say it is not that we can't live without any of them - give somebody else a chance - grab someone off the streets and give them ago. As for the salaries that they are on, it is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 martin451

i think you people are forgetting journalists are at the centre of the universe and deserve everything they get . they make the news not just report on it - Think charlie bird in america :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Ya they have some cheek alright.What about ur man saying that taxing the fat cats (semi state) was unfair on account of they being so good at there jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Not even then. Newstalk could maybe give them 100k. TV3 could stretch to 120, maybe. Why pay them any more than, say, 5,000 more than the competitor can afford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Valve

POLL DANCING:

Truth is Well Payed Maid Marian DOES work for a private company. Her own! The 'negotiator' is hired by her - not the other way around. He's on commission. AVON MAN!! Most presenters work as Sole Traders and ahve an agent. Google NK management! In general, all are on contract, bar News Presenters. Whenever a Minister is appearing on TV, the D.G. is there to greet said politicians. Do they talk about salaries/politics/TV/Radio....or the weather. Att all Weathermen/women - the anniv of the first weather forecast is this month!
    It's about time RTE figured out that the average age of our population is 38.
    Central Statistics Office figures and some maths follow!

Population - 4,500,000.
    Population aged between 25 and 44 is approx 1,400,000.
    Approx 22,000 more males in this category than females.
    My maths were never too great, but....
    The difference between 25 and 44 is 19.
    Add 19, 25 and 44 and devide by 3 = 29.
    this would be the average age in this category.
    Any budding Carol/Karl Vordermans fancy a challenge??
    I am aware the figures have 'spoken.' Listened to yesterday/Favourites/Station/Reach etc. and am well open for further input.
    Anybody fancy digging a bit deeper, as in those who can't/don't listen. In work/Meetings/Asleep - Shift!/MP3 preferered/Teaching/Learning etc etc.
    Interesting study I reckon.
    anyone for tennis??

Advertisement