Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get the most out of your PC

• 01-08-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all
    I id like start a thread for the best setup for a PC.
    Im not talking about hardware just the software and system settings undera Windows OS
    Im not here to advertise just to give my opinion on my favourite software and to hear what others use.
    I dont pay for programs so these are (usually) freeware.

Ill start
    After a fresh Windows 7 install i do the following:
    Set up wifi connection
    Update windows
    Install Comodo antivirus and firewall(free and very good)
    I like Ashampoo software as they are good and use little system resourses.
    I install Ashampoo winoptimizer and burning studio.
    Install Ccleaner (removes everyday junk files)
    Install ACronis true image (drive back up software)
    Install programs that im sure i will use like messenger, utorrent, skype etc.
    I try to install as little as possible and use window drivers for cameras and printers.
    BTW i max out utorrent on UPC so make sure your set up is correct before you complain about ISP(if u need help just ask)
    Next step is to prevent unwanted programs from stating with window and slowing boot time.
    Go to "RUN" and type "msconfig"
    Tick selective startupand click on startup tab
    Deselect any unwanted program like adobe, printer softare, etc
    This wont uninstall them just stops them load with windows and they can be started later within windows.
    Save and exit.
    I start winoptomize and clean and defrag system
    I set swap/page file to a second drive or partiotion so main hard drive runs faster.
    When everything is right, including desktop shortcuts, folders, user accounts etc. I creat a drive image using Acronis.
    I make and incremental back up every 3 months or so.
    All important files are saved to another drive.
    Now if i have a problem with windows i just reinstall drive image and everythings back to new.
    Thats the basics of how I set up my PC but there is more.
    Im sure some people will suggest I use Nero and other big mane programs but Nero is overkill. With usb drives few people now burn cd's so I want a package that use little system resourses.

Please share ideas on good but small program that will suit the majority of users needs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

dub7_2010 wrote: »

I dont pay for programs so these are (usually) freeware
    dub7_2010 wrote: »

After a fresh Windows 7 install...

ohh the irony, lol ;)

ah no, seriously, good post, i'd also throw in there sharkys codecs, altho not as necessary now as Windows 7 supports many media formats out of the box, even my AVCHD files are supported :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sparkly1982

VLC media player is a great little programme that will play almost anything you might care to throw at it - even torrent files that haven't finished downloading (assuming the first part is complete). I've never managed to find anything it won't play. It also has loads of other functions I have never used, such as streaming media over the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭omerin

This might help aswell, speeds up your boot time. Free program (saw it on webuser) -

http://www.soluto.com/

Advertisement