Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message validity time

Options
  • 01-08-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey guys, quick question.

The other night (whilst highly inebriated) I sent a few text messages to my ex, that I would rather she didn't ever read.

She is currently in Thailand and has lost her phone, the messages never delivered.

My question is, when she gets home and gets a replacement simcard, will those messages be waiting there for her?

I sent the messages from my phone (3 network) to hers (Meteor) at roughly 1am on the 30/7/10. She will be home on the 2/8/10, and I imagine she will replace her sim quite pronto.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

**** man. they will usually fester for about a week before they expire. i don't know if the 'message validity' you can change in your settings is enforced but even that wouldnt make a difference after the fact

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What have you the time set to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

iirc 48 hours with vodafone and o2 then i get a "could not be delivered satus"

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

gu10 wrote: »
    **** man. they will usually fester for about a week before they expire. i don't know if the 'message validity' you can change in your settings is enforced but even that wouldnt make a difference after the fact

Bugger, that's going to be awkward!

The phone default is set to "Maximum time", so I suppose I am at the mercy of 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

thesto wrote: »
    Bugger, that's going to be awkward!

The phone default is set to "Maximum time", so I suppose I am at the mercy of 3?

Im not certain with three, but i think it could be a week :o

Not what you want to hear im afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

Davy wrote: »
    Im not certain with three, but i think it could be a week :o

Not what you want to hear im afraid

Not really! Ah sure, I'll just suck it up and take it, if the delivery reports never come through somebody upstairs is looking out for me!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I wonder if you changed network (eg to O2, Vodafone) would it stop attempting to deliver? Just an idea. Rather you than me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 empowerer

The message will remain active on the sending networks message centre until it delivers (or expires). They can technically cancel the message if they want to, its completely down to if they want to or not.

Just so you know, if you ring them and they do cancel the message - you will get a delivery report. Dont freak out about it! If they cancel it then the network picks it up as being delivered, but it actually hasnt gone to the number you sent it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

empowerer wrote: »
    The message will remain active on the sending networks message centre until it delivers (or expires). They can technically cancel the message if they want to, its completely down to if they want to or not.

Just so you know, if you ring them and they do cancel the message - you will get a delivery report. Dont freak out about it! If they cancel it then the network picks it up as being delivered, but it actually hasnt gone to the number you sent it to.
    sorry, who cancels the message?

Sorry should have been a bit more clear :) The senders network cancels it. So for example if I am a Meteor customer sending a message to a number on Three, and the message hasnt delivered then I can call Meteor and have them cancel it (provided they are willing to do so).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

empowerer wrote: »
    Sorry should have been a bit more clear :) The senders network cancels it. So for example if I am a Meteor customer sending a message to a number on Three, and the message hasnt delivered then I can call Meteor and have them cancel it (provided they are willing to do so).
    i didn't think networks provided such info / services. have you done it yourself before?

Personally no, I was there when a friend asked O2 to do it. The girl on the phone wasnt 100% sure she could do it, but she checked with the Tech guys and they did it. It isnt something I would imagine they wouldn't advertise though, you can imagine the influx of people ringing first thing on a Sunday morning!

Advertisement