Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken or Beef stock?

Options
  • 01-08-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Anyone know where to get some for cheap? I was unable to find any at Dunne stores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco do knor made up stock.
    Or people rave about knor stock pots (I'm not sure they're any different from the cubes)
    M&S do stock.
    Or use a tin of chicken or beef consommé (best option but not so cheap).

What ever you use be wary of the salt content - don't add more salt without tasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

I'll have to try Tesco. I went to M&S, and got a package, but it's 3 euros for this little package, and I probably needed 5 of them. It's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mmille24 wrote: »
    I went to M&S, and got a package, but it's 3 euros for this little package, and I probably needed 5 of them. It's just not worth it.

:eek:

You can buy a whole chicken for a little over €3. Cut it up and keep the chicken fillets and the legs / thighs in the fridge / freezer for another dinner. Put the remaining bits in a pan, add 2 litres of water (or however much stock you will need), throw in some veggies like carrots and onions, add salt and pepper and boil for a couple of hours, strain the juice from the bones / bits and you have lovely chicken stock :)

Advertisement