Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sent stupid messages to my ex, whilst drunk!

Options
  • 01-08-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey guys, I posted this in the mobile forum, but it is a personal matter due to the nature of the text messages involved, so I hope someone here could maybe shed some light on it, as I got no replies over there!

The other night (whilst highly inebriated) I sent a few text messages to my ex, that I would rather she didn't ever read. (They were to do with my feelings for her that aren't really going away!)

She is currently in Thailand and has lost her phone, the messages never delivered.

My question is, when she gets home and gets a replacement simcard, will those messages be waiting there for her?

I sent the messages from my phone (3 network) to hers (Meteor) at roughly 1am on the 30/7/10. She will be home on the 2/8/10, and I imagine she will replace her sim quite pronto.

Thanks for the help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Well, back in November I lost my phone in Belgium & when I came back I intended to replace it as soon as possible, but about 5 months passed until I actually got a new one (mainly because of money & laziness on my part:D)

Everyone kept saying to me during those 5 months, "did you get my text/call" & I just told them I lost my phone.

When I finally got a new phone, new simcard & all that, not one of the messages were waiting for me, my inbox was completely empty (as well as my contacts)

Hope that helps you mate, I know the situations are a bit different, but if it turns out like mine, she'll be more annoyed about losing all here numbers rather her old text messages:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

Aye, I have had a similar situation myself, but it was at least two weeks before I was online again. I just reckon that since there is such a short space of time between when I sent the messages and when she will be back up and running, the messages may still be floating about in the air!

Fingers crossed though eh, thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

If I can rembember correctly from my time in the mobile business your message centre continues to try and deliver the message (as long as its to a valid number) for about 5 days.

If the phone isn't active for that time it will then fail. So if they get a new sim within that period of time it should still deliver I'm afraid.

If you want to check the length of time it tries you should give your service provider a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Yea basically what he said that the messages will be received if a new sim is activated within the period set out by her mobile provider. Maybe give Meteor customer service a ring and see how long theirs is?
    Good luck OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Check the sms settings on your phone, there should be a validity period there... Hopefully its set to a week or less!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The validity period on a message is set by your phone, and depending on what settings the operator (of *your* network, not the recipients) are, they'll retry the message every so often between the time you send it and the time the validity period expires.
    The maximum possible setting is basically ''retry forever', but i think it defaults to something less than that on most phones and most SMSCs, something in the area of 30 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

I think since its only 3 days take it that they will deliver.

So you need to start thinking about some damage control

you could just pretend you didn't send them or

send another text explaining you were drunk that you didn't mean it or that some one of your mates got a hold of your phone and prob sent some stupid texts.

change your number

(look its unfortunate but we all do it, just don't do it again :) )

my phone sometimes sends a 'refused' text msg if it didn't get to the person - like they changed their no. if you get this one your laughin'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

U should ring your network to find out but I think on o2 it's something 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nothing you can do really, if she replies don't reply to her. If not, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

If the phone she lost was still turned on, then that phone would have received the messages. When she gets a new one and a replacement sim card then no she won't get them.

Did they deliver when you sent them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

I'm on the Meteor network. And i've sent a few texts over the years that never got recieved. As the persons phone wasnt on for 5 days.

So you might just get away with this. It most likely will take a few days for her new sim card to arrive and thats if she does it ASAP. As far as I am aware you cant just go into a phone shop and get a sim with your number there and then. It gets sent out to you.

So I reckon on the 4th of August you'll get a message saying message failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

whatsamsn wrote: »
    So you might just get away with this. It most likely will take a few days for her new sim card to arrive and thats if she does it ASAP. As far as I am aware you cant just go into a phone shop and get a sim with your number there and then. It gets sent out to you.
    QUOTE]

Dunno bout that I put my phone in the washing machine a few years ago. I went into Vodafone that day and bought a new phone, I had forgotton my old sim so they issued me one with the same number straight away. Mind that was with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Yes you can get a replacement sim with your old number in a shop.

you can get it just by going into shop now!? .. wow. Thats kinda stupid isnt it :) Whats to stop someone going in and getting a person number. Well i guess ID would be needed.

Op, but that does change things lol.
    Whatever you do, when she comes home do not ask her if she got any texts from you.

Just hope she doesnt get the new sim quick. You say she returns on the 2nd. It'll be the 4th (at the earliest) that those texts will get cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

Thanks guys,

My phone is set to "Maximum validity time" and the phone was off when she lost it, as the messages still haven't delivered. So unfortunately I suppose I'm at the mercy of the phone networks and how quickly she replaces the sim card.

Sh*t'll get mad awkward if she gets those messages! I'm raging, drunk texting has never been a trait of mine. Excellent timing on my part :rolleyes:

I just checked my phone. I too seem to have it set to maximum validty time.

But i've been using the same phone for two years on the meteor network. And any text that never got recieved usually took 5 days before notifying me it failed.

Best bet is to lay low from talking with her (facebook etc) last thing you wanna ask is "did you get your phone fixed?" - might just make her go off and fix it the next day.

The only bad thing I will say is ... just because her phone broke. Doesnt mean the sim did :( which means it can easily be inserted into a new phone.
    If you want to know weather she gets it (as she may just recieve it and blank you) I say ring her on private. If the call doesnt go through - you're safe :) .. if it rings... you're in for some crap lol.

Advertisement