Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much would it cost?

• 01-08-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

if i bought araod bike frame.how much would it cost to get it into a decent standard bike.
    a frame bought for 250 would end up costing?600-700 no

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Depends on your definition of decent standard. I would say about 600 would get a decent finishing kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

600-700 would be great
    i was looking at getting an genesis equilibrium bike but it costs over a grand(about 400 out of budget).
    but then saw you can get the frame on its own for about 250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Hey,

It also depends on whether or not you want 1st or 2nd hand stuff. There have been ultegra and 105 groupsets gouing for around 200 to 300 on here in the last few months, which are good prices and would provide a great race set up. add to that 150 for a standard set of wheels (think i was blorg selling rs80 for 100) and all you need is 100 to 200 to finish off depending on your preferences and your away.

But id try source all second hand, might take a little longer, but you'll save money and get a better standard of bike.

Good luck with the build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Merlin are selling 105 groupsets for £300. Best price I've seen in a long time. Only have 39-25 gearing left though which mightn't suit you. Even the Pro's were using 39-26 on the Tourmalet last week!

If you shop around and aren't too fussy you always get end-of-line bargains in things like seatposts, saddles, stems, bars. I recently picked up all of these for about £50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Double check with them that the Fork comes for that price, its not absolutely clear on the website whether you get a fork included for that price.
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/frames/

Chainreactions are having a huge sale at the moment. So you might be able to sift through and build up a bike. I'm gathering bits at the moment for a tourer.

Anyways
    €355.56 for 105 groupset
    €250.00 for frame

Leaves €100 for Wheels, seatpost, stem, handlebars, bartape, Tyres, Tubes, Pedals, Bottle cage, tools..and anything else that might be missing. Which is very tight/impossible.

You can get wheels as cheap as 50 quid. But are they gonna be any good? I dunno. Probably do the job.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Offers.aspx?CategoryID=828

You might have to go for a lower spec groupset to stay within budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

if i bought araod bike frame.how much would it cost to get it into a decent standard bike.
    a frame bought for 250 would end up costing?600-700 no

It will prob work out cheaper jut to buy the bike as is for £1000 than trying to build to a similar spec using parts online unless you can get very good parts cheaply/2nd hand as suggested.

You then need to put down money to get the thing built.

Since you have been VERY particular in what you want in a bike based on your previous threads: save up a bit more and just buy the bloody thing and be happy :pac:

Right I've got it. if you don't buy this bike I'm going to hunt you down.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Genesis Aether 10:

{Applause}

Aether-10-lo.jpg
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/aether/aether-10/overview/

When asked if they would buy it, Bicycle Buyer magazine said; "Without doubt. The Aether isn't just a pretty frame: she's a classic dignified beauty imbued with a huge measeure of intelligence and gusto"

Imbued no less.

Pros:
    Cost: €721.42 (very nearly in budget)
    Looks: Classically understated. Round Tubing. Simple decals. With old style bar tape.
    Fully built: Yes

Cons:
    Material of Construction: Aluminium (but looks like steel).

There is no other bike that comes as close to ticking all your boxes. I'm not posting again on this. Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cons:
    Material of Construction: Aluminium (but looks like steel).

...and compact geometry.

Also, there's a reason most aluminium bikes use oversized tubing.

A very confused concept.

Lumen wrote: »
    ...and compact geometry.
    hould your whisht. its the same geometry as the equilibrium so it'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

hould your whisht. its the same geometry as the equilibrium so it'll be fine.

No issue with compact geometry or aluminium, it's just that punting a alu compact frame as a "classic" that "looks like steel" maketh no sense.

• Advertisement

No issue with compact geometry or aluminium, it's just that punting a alu compact frame as a "classic" that "looks like steel" maketh no sense.
    We're never gonna get EASYbeingCHEESY a bike at this rate. It looks grand, don't listen to Lumen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

...and compact geometry.

Also, there's a reason most aluminium bikes use oversized tubing.

A very confused concept.

oversized tubing makes my mouth water.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

yeah your right pete,its proabbaly as close to what i want that i can find.
    Genisis brand wise seem to be as close to what i want look wise that thier is.,i asked about the allez steel(specialized)
    http://bikereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/specialized-allez-double-steel-2010-road-bike.jpg
    but its not possible to get it over here.

I fel in love with the flyer,though i was on to a winner,then i looked at the specs and saw its another fixie
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/09d/101/92e/45773/product_page/genesis-flyer-520-2010-road-bike-frame-set.jpg?1258430296

now if they only did the frame in blue,as im not keen on the black:P.......LOL

Advertisement