Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for chiropractor?

Options
  • 01-08-2010 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good chiropractor in Sligo? I know there's one on Pearse Road, does anyone know anything about them? Or are there any others you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

There are two qualified chiropractoers in Sligo - Pearse Rd / Cleveragh Ind Est.

The guy on Pearse Rd is Irish and has xray and equipment to properly measure muscle function - if you need an xray the guys in Cleveragh end up referring you up to the Pearse Rd anyway - although both come recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Nice one, thanks for that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

One of my OH's family members uses the guy on Pearse Road and finds him brilliant, has been going to him with an ongoing problem for years, very helpful and comes highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

Can also highly recommend the one on pearse road beside ulster bank.
    really nice and professional staff.
    first consultation lasted nearly an hour as they make a scan and loads of x/rays, go through your history and everything. i paid €150 and second consultation is free. you get a booklet with your results and he'll talk you through everything. if you have private health insurance it will cover some of the costs.
    my sister was sent to a physio in sligo general for months with no improvment. she recently went to see this chiropractor and he found out that the problem was something totally different.
    make sure you go to a qualified one who knows what his doing. you wouldnt want to get more damage done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

ge_ch wrote: »
    first consultation lasted nearly an hour as they make a scan and loads of x/rays, go through your history and everything. i paid €150 and second consultation is free. you get a booklet with your results and he'll talk you through everything. if you have private health insurance it will cover some of the costs.

Oh that's good to see that the second consultation is free. My fiance went to him a couple of days ago and got the scans and xrays etc done and was charged €150 and told to come back next week for the results, he was afraid he'd be charged again at the appointment next week!

Thanks all who replied! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

i always go to therese devaney in wine st, she is a chartered physiotherapist and have always found her great www.sligophysiotherapy.ie

probably not a chiropractor although infairness probably a good physio - out of curiousity why not try a chiro cork4ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

sligopark wrote: »
    probably not a chiropractor although infairness probably a good physio - out of curiousity why not try a chiro cork4ever?

Very good physio if you ask me, only works a few evenings which is great as you don't have to skip work.

I had a very bad experience with a chiro actually it was a realtion of mine, he presented with pain on arm and had 3 vists one day after the other to the chiro, he then went to a physio (miss devaney) and she sent him straight to causality, he had angina nothing to do arms or back, this coupled with the prime time program a few years back about chiros in Canada causing a huge amount of strokes in young people because of neck therapy put me right off....

not giving out about chiro's in general, nothing of the sort, but they don't have the basic medicial knowledge for a complete diagnosis, not saying all physios are great either far from it but at least they had to go to UCD or Trinity where a medical school exists and they hire them in hospitals where you won't see a chiro in any hospital

Lastly i work in the legal profession and i have seen physios give expert evidence in cases in the high court etc, never seen a chiro being called to give expert evidence that not mean much but its an indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

You could also try inversion therapy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_therapy

In english . . . hanging upside-down.

There are some health risks, so seek medical approval first. But Argos have started selling inversion tables again (were missing from their last catalog).

There is also a newer/safer type of inversion called "Hip-Support Inversion" - just google that phrase.

Have never done this myself mind, but I have suffered several times from sciatica.

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Very good physio if you ask me, only works a few evenings which is great as you don't have to skip work.

I had a very bad experience with a chiro actually it was a realtion of mine, he presented with pain on arm and had 3 vists one day after the other to the chiro, he then went to a physio (miss devaney) and she sent him straight to causality, he had angina nothing to do arms or back, this coupled with the prime time program a few years back about chiros in Canada causing a huge amount of strokes in young people because of neck therapy put me right off....

funny just had a relation of mine sent home twice by their GP only to present to A&E and be told they were having a heart attack too

not giving out about chiro's in general, nothing of the sort, but they don't have the basic medicial knowledge for a complete diagnosis, not saying all physios are great either far from it but at least they had to go to UCD or Trinity where a medical school exists and they hire them in hospitals where you won't see a chiro in any hospital

Sorry this is horse ****. Chiropractors are very well qualified and are 'primary care practitioners' which is a level above physios. Also chiropractors and physios do completely different jobs.

Lastly i work in the legal profession and i have seen physios give expert evidence in cases in the high court etc, never seen a chiro being called to give expert evidence that not mean much but its an indicator

Are you saying a chiropractor has never been called? What does this indicate exactly?

• Advertisement

You could also try inversion therapy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_therapy

In english . . . hanging upside-down.

There are some health risks, so seek medical approval first. But Argos have started selling inversion tables again (were missing from their last catalog).

There is also a newer/safer type of inversion called "Hip-Support Inversion" - just google that phrase.

Have never done this myself mind, but I have suffered several times from sciatica.

Wow - this looks good must check them out in Argos! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

sligopark wrote: »
    There are two qualified chiropractoers in Sligo - Pearse Rd / Cleveragh Ind Est.

The guy on Pearse Rd is Irish and has xray and equipment to properly measure muscle function - if you need an xray the guys in Cleveragh end up referring you up to the Pearse Rd anyway - although both come recommended
    Hi folks,would you to know the name of the chiropractor on Pearse rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

My partner has used BOWEN THERAPY - for a troublesome back - has found it much better! Google it I guess - this practitioner is in Crossmolina.

bonzos wrote: »
    Hi folks,would you to know the name of the chiropractor on Pearse rd?

http://www.whatclinic.com/chiropractic/ireland/county-sligo/sligo-town/dr-hagan-mcquaid-dc-sligo-chiropractic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I would be very careful here, some Chirppractors are best avoided. I've done a lot of sports and weight training over the years and have needed to make a trip or 20 to the Chiroprators. Doctor Helga out in Riverstown was gifted, no painful manipulations etch.

Sadly shes gone a few years now, since she left I've tried several others (won't name any) that did not come close to Helga. A lot of them want you to make lots of visits and spend lots of money, which is totally unnecessary.
    With my Medical background, I'm able to assess the cowboys pretty quickly.

Long story short, I finally found an excellent Chriopractor in Sligo two years ago. Her name is Dr. Greta Naylor, based in Cleaveragh and I think shes from New Zealand. A very genuine lady indeed, excellent at her craft and she won't 'milk' you for money. Maybe her Nursing/Midwife background has something to do with, anyway three visits to her two years ago - not a bother since. One 'cowboy' I seen at the same time, wanted to pre-book 26! appointments for me. So just beware and choose wisely.

I would be very careful here, some Chirppractors are best avoided. I've done a lot of sports and weight training over the years and have needed to make a trip or 20 to the Chiroprators. Doctor Helga out in Riverstown was gifted, no painful manipulations etch.

Sadly shes gone a few years now, since she left I've tried several others (won't name any) that did not come close to Helga. A lot of them want you to make lots of visits and spend lots of money, which is totally unnecessary.
    With my Medical background, I'm able to assess the cowboys pretty quickly.

Long story short, I finally found an excellent Chriopractor in Sligo two years ago. Her name is Dr. Greta Naylor, based in Cleaveragh and I think shes from New Zealand. A very genuine lady indeed, excellent at her craft and she won't 'milk' you for money. Maybe her Nursing/Midwife background has something to do with, anyway three visits to her two years ago - not a bother since. One 'cowboy' I seen at the same time, wanted to pre-book 26! appointments for me. So just beware and choose wisely.

Heard the very same before and was told generally to avoid americans and aussies

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

are there any male bowen practitioners in galway?thanks

Advertisement