Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to this...

Options
  • 01-08-2010 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hey! I am moving to dublin to do a masters in UCD! first time moving out of my home house. I am just wondering if anyone has any pointers with regard to accomodation! anything that i should look out for! what i should and shouldnt be paying for etc..if there are any particular areas that would be suitable to live in close to UCD.

Also I have seen one year leases only advertised! can i just leave after the nine months of college? will i have to pay even though im not there or will i just forfeit my deposit or something like that?

Im just looking for general advice to be honest.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

pandas wrote: »
    Hey! I am moving to dublin to do a masters in UCD! first time moving out of my home house. I am just wondering if anyone has any pointers with regard to accomodation! anything that i should look out for! what i should and shouldnt be paying for etc..if there are any particular areas that would be suitable to live in close to UCD.

Get used to daft.ie and gumtree.ie I suppose. Donnybrook, Ranelagh, Dundrum, Stillorgan etc... are the most common places that people live in. Daft will give you a guide to a range of prices, generally €400/month is decent enough.
    Also I have seen one year leases only advertised! can i just leave after the nine months of college? will i have to pay even though im not there or will i just forfeit my deposit or something like that?

Im just looking for general advice to be honest.

Thanks.

If it's a one calender year lease, you have to pay the rent no matter what. Unless you get someone to occupy the room and you move back home. However, if you leave before the time is up, and essentially break one of the terms of the lease you'll probably lose your deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Also, many landlords will require references from your previous landlord (if any), and if you skip out on the end of a lease like that, they're unlikely to give you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Daft.ie is usually your best bet to look around.

Stillorgan, Dundrum, parts of rathfarnham along the 17, ranelagh, donnybrook would be the areas, as mentioned.

400 a month is standard. Ask them for an estimation of bills etc. Find out where the local supermarket is. Preferably an Aldi/Lidl or Tesco.

How are you planning on travelling to UCD? If youre driving you have to be up very early to get a parking space, you'd also need to look into the parking around the house, is it on street etc.

Be careful about who you move in with too. You probably dont want to end up in a mental session house so try getting in with people who are also doing a masters/postgrad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

im thinking ranleigh but there are no places for less that 500 a month! there are two of us looking and i suppose it has been just 2 beds we've been looking at so that might explain the extra 100.

i wont be driving but my friend will, how long would it take to get from say ranleigh to ucd by walking or bus if there is a bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Walking to Ranelagh is about 1/2 hour, depending on which part of UCD you're heading to. It's a big campus, and I recommend finding out which buildings you'll be using, to take that in to account. For example, if you're doing Architecture or Civil Engineering, you'll be spending most of your time on the west side of campus, Richview and/or Newstead. That means Ranalagh is OK, while Dundrum, Milltown or Dartry would suit you too.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

As general advice, make sure you take everything into account when you choose somewhere to live.

Besides the obvious, like rent, and getting to and from UCD, there are some other important things, like:

- How convenient is your house to a good supermarket?
    - If you have to go regularly to town/somewhere not UCD, is it convenient?
    - Check into utilities - like how the heating works, what TV/broadband is available, how much and how often bills are due.
    - If you're planning on moving into a shared house, try and meet all the people living there first.

There is a bus from Ranelagh to UCD - the 11, 11a and 11b all go by. They are every 15 minutes at peak times, and every half hour during the day between the 3 routes - but they can be very irregular, like 3 in 20 minutes, then none for most of the hour, since they all leave from different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Ranelagh! Don't land yourself in Stillorgan, it's freakin desolate and empty and miles from anywhere. If you keep checking rent.ie you'll find something nice in Ranelagh or Clonskeagh, best thing to do is view everywhere. House hunting from the internet will only get you so far. You gotsta go view!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 omnisynergy

We just got a tiny place in Ranelagh for €525 a month (we're a couple so it suits us fine).
    From what everyone has been telling me it's the ideal location

Hi guys! thanks for all your help! we went up yesterday to view a few places and they were all not very nice to say the least. im going to be mostly at the roebuck end of the campus, we had a good few viewings organised going up but by the time we got there the good majority of the places were gone, so it wasn't a very productive day and was actually quiet disheartening.

So we are now considering moving into the city to get a nice place for the same money and then include the 80euro monthly bus ticket to get to and from ucd in our costs. therein lies my problem i know the 10 bus runs to the campus and the 46a bus runs to outside the campus on the stillorgan road but after that i dont know much about the buses.

I am wondering if anyone who knows dublin at all could give me some advice on whether the above is a good idea or not firstly and secondly if ucd is reasonably accessable from the places below from daft.

like iv tried using the dublin bus route planner but im just confusing myself because i dont know my ass from my elbow when it comes to dublin. :rolleyes:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=886720

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=939952

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=926151

Id appreciate it very much guys! its probably alot to ask! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 omnisynergy

I think you should look for somewhere in Donnybrook along the 10 bus route. You'd be closer to the college but still convenient to the city centre. Or you could look in Ranelagh as well, along the 11 bus route. For 800-900 per month you should find somewhere nice enough in that area...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

like iv tried using the dublin bus route planner but im just confusing myself because i dont know my ass from my elbow when it comes to dublin. :rolleyes:

I would get a map and start learning. If you are prepared to drive or get the bus anywhere along the N11 is fine (Even Bray / Shankill) The N11 is the bus corridor and 95%+ of bus's on it go past UCD.

ya there are 16 properties in donnybrook on daft for 1000per month or less and they are all single room places or studios with two exceptions and they are twin rooms (one of which we viewed yesterday) and we were looking for a two bedroom place. like we've really thrawled through daft theres nothin close to the college within our budget that has two bedrooms, we saw all 3 of them yesterday and anything else that is on daft when we rang them up the people told us they were gone and they just hadn't taken them off daft yet. so thats why we decided to go with the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Out of those three I'd go with the first!

I like this one: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=889747

A stones throw away from the existing 10/what will be the 46a.

This one has a 9mth lease, again on a bus route

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=917384

Near the 46a:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=937255

Not wonderful but maybe:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=931033

Theres plenty of options :)

A good idea is to search UCD on Dublin bus, find what buses serve it, write down the places that are on the routes and seach for houses there?

Hope that helps!
    Louise

ya i will definitely learn my way about up there but i was just seeing if anyone could help for the time being just so we could arrange viewings. i don't know, is the idea of moving into the city crazy? should we be moving out rather than in? we just thought it would save on travel costs outside of college if we were centrally located.

thanks louise thats great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

No worries :)

I didn't get anywhere to live till the end of september last year - thankfully I had somewhere to crash in the meantime - but you will get sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Make sure they are registered with PRTB. For the love of God make sure they have this bit, can save an awful lot of hassle in the long-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Living in town is just as easy as living close to the college. Slightly longer commute. If you were going to be getting a bus from close to the college your fare would be 1.60 either way. From town its going to be 1.80, so not that much difference in travel costs. You also have the added benefit of living in the city centre which is convenient for everything else. Friends of mine got a place on leeson street which could be handy for you

Bus timetables are supposed to be changing in september so the 46a will go into campus. Both the busses can be caught from Oconnell street or nassau street or leeson street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

Bus timetables are supposed to be changing in september so the 46a will go into campus. Both the busses can be caught from Oconnell street or nassau street or leeson street
    i don't think the 46a will be going on campus with the changes that are coming in but it will still stop just off campus

routes map for after the change
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5998/Stillorgan_205.pdf

iv been told by someone that behind the ifsc (where the apt im looking at is situated) wouldnt be the safest area to get a place...would that be true?? i knew obviously that the north side was the "rough" side of dublin but i thought just the north side of the quays would be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

iv been told by someone that behind the ifsc (where the apt im looking at is situated) wouldnt be the safest area to get a place...would that be true?? i knew obviously that the north side was the "rough" side of dublin but i thought just the north side of the quays would be grand!

I don't believe that sort of rubbish any more. There are area's southside that can be just as noisy and antisocial. However behind the IFSC, not speaking from personal experience, wouldn't be the safest for an outsider so to speak. However the same could be said beside Grafton St etc.

Personally speaking, you'd be better off someone more residential that inner city. Also I don't know how you'd get from the IFSC to UCD any way handy

Hi guys! Thanks for all your help! We went up again yesterday and didn't find anything so just booked on campus entirely before all the first years get in at 4pm! went with belgrove just for the oven ha! both of us got into an apartment with another post grad so it should be alright and hopefully the other post-grad wont be too sensible because although i am going to be a post-grad i will be enjoying myself the odd night up there too ha! anyway that's a story for another day!

I was just wondering and ye are probably sick of my questions at this stage BUT... I'll be doing a thesis so I am just wondering do i need to be on campus for it? i had planned on getting a 12 month lease with the off campus accommodation and staying up when i needed to for the thesis...but with on campus ill have to book it for the summer in advance i think so I am just wondering if anyone knows the way it goes? Do you have to meet supervisors regularly or no? I am thinking maybe I would be as well off to get it just to be on the safe side or maybe just get somewhere on a short term lease in May but then I am worried ill be a bit busy with exams and maybe I should just get it out of the way now!

What do ye think?

Advertisement